Captain
# 71
01-25-2013, 07:38 AM
The Fleet Marks are why I do grinders. I often don't have time or energy to focus on a story. My fleet desperately needs fleet marks. So... yeah. Fleet Marks mean that I often run grinders -- but if there were no grinders, I would probably just not use Foundry as often.

Mmm. I think grinders slightly interfere with playing regular missions, but for the most part 'when I want to sit down to a cool Foundry story' is an essentially different time and focus than 'when I want to farm up some resources I want.'

The EC isn't as big of a problem because running 2 grinders or so can max out the loot you are permitted from Foundry missions. That's already capped, and, personally, repeating patrols in Tau Dewa might not be quite as efficient, but is pretty easy and you can do it until you want to jump out a window.

I would support removing the Fleet Mark reward combined with increasing the fleet mark rewards of other stuff, but I'm mostly in favor of the filtering/tags/pulldown stuff discussed previously.
Captain
# 72
01-25-2013, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by torsten1009 View Post
Please, mark the word "play", not afk-time. I don't want to see more Boff-Grinders, that reward you for afk-time.
You realize the workaround for that is a simple macro. Whatever scheme you come up with to try and quash playstyles you hate, there will always be a workaround until the game becomes so unplayable, you'll be left all alone.

I have to say, some foundry authors feel so damn entitled and proprietary of a function of the game that is open to all is part of the reason why the Foundry has such a bad rep with the rest of the player base.
Rihannsu
# 73
01-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomictiki View Post
You realize the workaround for that is a simple macro. Whatever scheme you come up with to try and quash playstyles you hate, there will always be a workaround until the game becomes so unplayable, you'll be left all alone.

I have to say, some foundry authors feel so damn entitled and proprietary of a function of the game that is open to all is part of the reason why the Foundry has such a bad rep with the rest of the player base.
Or the devs come up with a better way to categorize rewards....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 74
01-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Quote:
You know why? Because there is an ocean of MMOs out there with stupid, grindy, mindless pap where you can hit that dang food pellet button to your heart's content. We finally have a game where you can write and create and play other cool stories, and everyone just dogpiles the same old food pellet button yet again.

If we sound 'entitled' and 'proprietary' it's because there's finally ONE place. One. Just one. Where we can be creative and enjoy flavor rather than grind, and we're a bit defensive about efforts that ruin this opportunity.

And the 'bad rep' about Foundry seems to exist only on the part of a few people who make noise here. The only bad rep the Foundry has in the great population, as far as I'm aware of, is 'it's not worth doing.'
Captain
# 75
01-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahinder View Post
You know why? Because there is an ocean of MMOs out there with stupid, grindy, mindless pap where you can hit that dang food pellet button to your heart's content. We finally have a game where you can write and create and play other cool stories, and everyone just dogpiles the same old food pellet button yet again.
Then ultimately your problem is not other players, nor combat missions in the Foundry. You have a problem with Cryptic who, over the last 3 seasons, has turned the game into a grind.

Lashing out at other Foundry authors may make you feel righteous and just, but you're fooling yourself if it would fix anything.

Last edited by atomictiki; 01-25-2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: typo
Captain
# 76
01-25-2013, 09:20 AM
I'm powerless to fix anything and all words to Cryptic fall on deaf ears, so... what's left to do but grouse and complain?

Plus, it's not exactly 'lashing out,' it's expressing dismay that a bunch of people are crowding into the upscale restaurant to sit down to a fine dining experience and try to get all the appetizers in a bucket so they can gulp it down as fast as possible.

Dude. There's cool opportunity for stories, and all you want to do is put the foie gras, lobster, and caviar in a blender so it goes down more quickly?
Captain
# 77
01-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahinder View Post
I'm powerless to fix anything and all words to Cryptic fall on deaf ears, so... what's left to do but grouse and complain?

Plus, it's not exactly 'lashing out,' it's expressing dismay that a bunch of people are crowding into the upscale restaurant to sit down to a fine dining experience and try to get all the appetizers in a bucket so they can gulp it down as fast as possible.

Dude. There's cool opportunity for stories, and all you want to do is put the foie gras, lobster, and caviar in a blender so it goes down more quickly?
Your hurdle is not the Flavor of the Month missions.

Your hurdle is players do not want to risk their time on an unknown quantity: namely these "lobster" missions. Perhaps instead of pissing on and pissing off other players, and garnering a negative rep -- maybe you and like minded persons should try and put together some guest blogs and see if Brandon will post them that highlight player made missions that are well written and have good gameplay. No one wants to risk 3 hours on some overwritten piece of fanfiction with questionable game design choices and balance issues -- that's the fear of the average player you need to overcome. But if you can suggest some 20-30 minute player missions that you think people should try, helping getting them to take that jump would be more worthwhile than being a ****.
Captain
# 78
01-25-2013, 10:51 AM

oh no you didn't.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Captain
# 79
01-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Yes, I guess it would be helpful to highlight to people things like 'filter for mission length' and other things that might guide them to good content.

Of course, if people are unwilling to look at the UI, I'm not sure how successful it'd be expecting people to go read a blog, mmm?

As for 'bad rep,' you can keep repeating the big lie as often as you want, it doesn't make it true.

The issues I mind stem from Cryptic, not the players, though there is a bit of 'this is really what people want??' that afflicts lots of media.

The fact that grinder missions bury others in listings, the fact that grinders are so rewarding, is a UI and design issue.

And, to be fair, it's VERY hard to fight exploits in an open creation system. The only other big effort to do this was City of Heroes, and their UGC became a constant battleground of devs vs. farms. To a degree that many people think that farming Mission Architect broke the game. (I don't necessarily agree, but there's an argument there)
Rihannsu
# 80
01-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Your hurdle is not the Flavor of the Month missions.

Your hurdle is players do not want to risk their time on an unknown quantity: namely these "lobster" missions. Perhaps instead of pissing on and pissing off other players, and garnering a negative rep -- maybe you and like minded persons should try and put together some guest blogs and see if Brandon will post them that highlight player made missions that are well written and have good gameplay. No one wants to risk 3 hours on some overwritten piece of fanfiction with questionable game design choices and balance issues -- that's the fear of the average player you need to overcome. But if you can suggest some 20-30 minute player missions that you think people should try, helping getting them to take that jump would be more worthwhile than being a ****.
Really? Isn't that what the Foundry spotlight is for? Isn't that the purpose behind the Foundry challenges?
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Closed Thread