Career Officer
# 1 Single block sector space map.
02-20-2013, 09:19 AM
I know this issue is a like a dead horse been beat... to death. But this is one of the thing that "brakes my game experience". Having to "ask flight control" to go from one block to another is odd at best.

I know it is may be work the devs may not have time to invest time in, but what a difference it would make. They did a lot of work to make sector space look beautiful with stars systems that come to focus when we get closer or nebula that envelope your ship when you fly through them. So, it would be great if they can make that space opened up with no instancing barriers.

note: please fix these sector maps, they seem so low res...

SERVER NOT RESPONDING (1701s)
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
02-20-2013, 09:57 AM
I would love a single sector map with real cosmic phenomena floating around in it, rather than plastered on a starscape background.

They did a good job with the badlands in Beta Ursae, I think. If you go near there it changes the space your flying through to look like you are actually flying in the badlands. It's pretty cool. Every nebula should be like that. Also we need crazy stuff like black holes and pulsars in the game too.

I wouldn't expect to see it anytime soon though. Cryptic has a lot on their plate already.
Captain
# 3
02-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshirtthefirst View Post
I know this issue is a like a dead horse been beat... to death. But this is one of the thing that "brakes my game experience". Having to "ask flight control" to go from one block to another is odd at best.

I know it is may be work the devs may not have time to invest time in, but what a difference it would make. They did a lot of work to make sector space look beautiful with stars systems that come to focus when we get closer or nebula that envelope your ship when you fly through them. So, it would be great if they can make that space opened up with no instancing barriers.

note: please fix these sector maps, they seem so low res...
If you think that this issue has been beaten to death, then read what the Devs have to say about it rather than posting the dead issue again.
Rihannsu
# 4
02-20-2013, 11:26 AM
I sure hope you guys have the $3000.00 computer rigs to handle rendering 1000 starships sitting outside Sol and keeping you from going into Sol because it is literally a "Fed ball".

Be careful what you ask for, you just may get it.
Career Officer
# 5
02-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Yep, I agree one big happy universe... Mr. Stahl take down those walls...
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
02-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryck View Post
I sure hope you guys have the $3000.00 computer rigs to handle rendering 1000 starships sitting outside Sol and keeping you from going into Sol because it is literally a "Fed ball".

Be careful what you ask for, you just may get it.
Of course I think there should be multiple instances I just want to see an end to separate sector blocks. Flying from Sol to Memory Alpha should not make you smack into an invisible wall with a button to cross it.

As to how many people per instance... I have no idea. That would be up to whoever manages the servers.
Republic Veteran
# 7
02-20-2013, 01:05 PM
way back, before season 4-5's? release? back before Dan left it was mentioned in one of the old engineering reports that they were looking into turning the galaxy map into one big map.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Captain
# 8
02-20-2013, 01:40 PM
And the downside of a single giant map is that at lower ranks (since space travel is so effing slow in a Miranda or Connie refit), when I want to quickly get from one place to another - saaaay, Sol System to Ker'rat - I wouldn't be able to do zone transfers in certain maps which put me in certain places quicker. Having sector zones lets players get from one destination to another in 1-4 min instead of 7 - 10.

Immersion problems?

Please. It goes out the window when you run across EnterpriZe #510 captained by Kirk or Picard #827 who's teamed up with the Serenity #470 commanded by Adama #344 - both of whom are talking about 20th and 21st century politics and religion thanks to Captain T'Pron who's flying the USS D'nutz and wanted to make a scene in zone chat.

My advice - ignore all that, pretend it doesn't exist and play the game.

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.

Last edited by kain9prime; 02-20-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Career Officer
# 9
02-20-2013, 01:42 PM
I do find it rather impractical.

It's also a damn nuisance when the servers are acting up due to heavy demand and all it takes it one zone transition to knock you out of the game.
Rihannsu
# 10
02-20-2013, 02:27 PM
they actually explained all this in some detail a while ago and it sounds like it would sacrifice a lot for little improvement. the current system works ok. its not ideal, but the one big map brings its own problems and will just create a whole new set of bugs and complaints to deal with.

just leave it as it is.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission