Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

Lt. Commander
# 141 That makes more sense
08-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
I just wanted to stop in and clarify something. The article contained a bit of a mis-quote. Jack had actually given an example of what was available in the way of really well done concept art and some extremely complex 3D ship models. However, since Cryptic is using our own engine and tech for Star Trek Online, those models would not have been able to be used.
I like clarifications just as well as news Thank you Razor.
Lt. Commander
# 142
08-10-2008, 10:07 AM
I said it about cryptic then when I Beta'd CoH some years ago and i'll say it now: This company listens to their consumer base. I have a feeling we'll be in store for a decent treat this afternoon and get a more concrete time line from Jack as well. They did a bang up on COH/COV, which was an original IP, before handing it over to NCSoft and they'll do the same, if not better on an 40+ year franchise.
Lt. Commander
# 143 Hmmmm....
08-10-2008, 01:54 PM
They said a release date may be sooner than we think. How soon is sooner than we think?

To me, I would take that to mean within the next month. BUT, to a studio that usually means about 6 months.

Maybe we can hope for a Christmas release.
Lt. Commander
# 144
08-11-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm worried about the amount of diplomacy that will be present in the game. Everything that's been said and that we've seen so far is great, but there's no mention of diplomacy; it's all combat and exploration. Now, both of those are part of Star Trek, and integral to the game, but if I don't have the option to hail an unknown starship and talk them into a ceasefire, or begin negotiating a treaty with a new race, or help two opposing planets work out a trade agreement, I will be very disappointed.
Lt. Commander
# 145
08-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
I'm worried about the amount of diplomacy that will be present in the game. Everything that's been said and that we've seen so far is great, but there's no mention of diplomacy; it's all combat and exploration. Now, both of those are part of Star Trek, and integral to the game, but if I don't have the option to hail an unknown starship and talk them into a ceasefire, or begin negotiating a treaty with a new race, or help two opposing planets work out a trade agreement, I will be very disappointed.
Diplomacy was mentioned during the webcast, Jack even said that a lot of TNG had diplomatic missions during its run. It is a system they will be addressing.
Lt. Commander
# 146
08-11-2008, 08:16 PM
what will the system requirements be if any one knows here are my specs amd athlon 64 x2 dual core 2.40 gigahertz 2 gb of ram and 253 gb of hard disk space and nvidia gdforce 8600 512 mb video card
Lt. Commander
# 147
08-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsonic View Post
They said a release date may be sooner than we think. How soon is sooner than we think?

To me, I would take that to mean within the next month. BUT, to a studio that usually means about 6 months.

Maybe we can hope for a Christmas release.
Well, all I can say is the t-shirts that were being handed out at the Star Trek convention have a date on them of 'Coming Fall 2009', so we'll see...

Champions Online will be out first, being slated for April 2009.
Lt. Commander
# 148
08-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Padre View Post
Diplomacy was mentioned during the webcast, Jack even said that a lot of TNG had diplomatic missions during its run. It is a system they will be addressing.
I am sure there will be missions that will require some sort of negotiations, probably in the style of the way Age of Conan does it, and like computer games have for a long time. A set of 4 lines to choose at certain points that may steer the mission in a different direction. The latest game I've seen employ this is Mass Effect.
Lt. Commander
# 149
08-12-2008, 02:15 PM
I for one am very excited to see what comes of this great IP, and hope they learn from past mistakes of other MMO's with high profile IPs.
Lt. Commander
# 150
08-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkonPhoenix View Post
I for one am very excited to see what comes of this great IP, and hope they learn from past mistakes of other MMO's with high profile IPs.
Arkon! Good to see you here and I /agree.