Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
08-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDart View Post
I remember this one time, this game had an Entertainer class, and my first thought was "LOL TAHT LOOKZ DUM".

Then I played it and it became one of my favorite classes in the game.

Instead of spending my days adventuring and shooting dragons in the desert, I spent them in the local cantina, chatting with my fellow dorks while still advancing my character and having a great time.
And this one time, at Band Camp....

I remember this game that had dedicated crafter gameplay and these entertainer things, and I thought that it must be terribly dull, and this dashing Smuggler girl with pistols and stuff would be way cool.

It WAS way cool, but as it turned out, I spent almost as much time as I did shooting things sitting around chatting with entertainers and crafters, and we both experienced more of the game vicariously through our interaction, and these moments became some of the best moments of gameplay for much of the community.

Later, I laid aside my pistols, because I could be a pilot. And i also became a ship-builder. And I dicovered that chasing down resources,a nd endlessly tinkering and fiddling in an attempt to produce the PERFECT STARSHIP was amazingly fun even though I spent days in my own house. Sis I mention I had my own house? People could visit while I was tinkering and we could chatter away as I worked on ships. And customers could come ask if I was taking orders, because they'd heard I made the best ships around, and they wanted something very, very specific. And it was a huge sense of accomplishment to do all this, even though i hadn't shot a single critter in over a month, and I had fun, even though i'd not touched a pistol.

...that game is dead now. T_T

There is, actually a point to this. Which is to say you just never now until you get a week, or even more, playing. People who want super-detail in the game with tons of non-combat may find they LOVE the simplified approach, and even the combat elements. People who despise the complexity and crafting and things may discover a whole new world of entertainment in that sort of game. Who can say, at this juncture?
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-08-2008, 12:46 PM
This sounds completely great. Thanks Jack- Cryptic is making all the right moves in my book. This is a Star Trek game I really want to play.

"Create your own alien races"?...I still dont know what that means, but it sounds awesome.

I can be any race in the Star Trek galaxy, or one I create, and define my own abilities for...Vulcan martial artists, Fenrengi scientists...half races? -awesome

Command my own ship as I work up to bigger and better ships, with bigger an better crews? -awesome

Customize my ship and crew for adventures in space, on planets, and even inside my own ship?-awesome.

Crypic's Trademark Customization Focus+ Star Trek = awesome.

This game has shot up from nowhere, to be the absolute top on my anticipation list.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyjack View Post
This sounds completely great. Thanks Jack- Cryptic is making all the right moves in my book. This is a Star Trek game I really want to play.

"Create your own alien races"?...I still dont know what that means, but it sounds awesome.

I can be any race in the Star Trek galaxy, or one I create, and define my own abilities for...Vulcan martial artists, Fenrengi scientists...half races? -awesome

Command my own ship as I work up to bigger and better ships, with bigger an better crews? -awesome

Customize my ship and crew for adventures in space, on planets, and even inside my own ship?-awesome.

Crypic's Trademark Customization Focus+ Star Trek = awesome.

This game has shot up from nowhere, to be the absolute top on my anticipation list.
Nice quick change there Cyjack, but dont think I didnt see what was there before

-Jive
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Character customization for Star Trek Online is going to be awesome!
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiveturkey126 View Post
Nice quick change there Cyjack, but dont think I didnt see what was there before

-Jive
Our minds were all being poisoned by speculation. I see some naysayers already, they don't realize Cryptic wants to make a game that let's them create their own experience. For those people who were making demands, this is the best news ever.
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-08-2008, 01:03 PM
So this will be Pirates of the Burning Sea in space?

LIked that game...but wasn't crazy about the whole pirate genre and wooden sailing ships.
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Ok, to be honest...... it sounds pretty great to me so far

The create your own race is unexpected though, not exactly sure what to make of that but I can't think of anything real negative on it. It could be quite a cool addition - will have to wait and see.

Anyway, good information to receive - interest and hope stats gone up! Now bring on the footage!
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Emmert
Everything that people will see on Sunday is going to be taken right from 'Star Trek Online' as it stands today, so hardened people should know that a release date might be closer than they think."
interesting
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD967 View Post
as i said in another thread:

now it seems that we will be in control of a ship (AKA like Eve) but also have NPC's to level up and such which could be dissapointing
Actually, I see this as one of the most interesting new gameplay elements. It always seemed odd for me in EVE to be flying around in this huge battleship with just one person controlling everything. The idea of having to hire, train, and manage a crew reminds me of the old "Starflight" game, which was one of my favorite old-school PC games.

I'm really looking forward to developing my NPC crew.
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Quote:
"We had a friendly relationship with them," Emmert said. "As it became apparent they weren't going to continue to function, they decided to sell off the license. We swooped in and grabbed it. We took no assets. There was nothing to be had, to be honest. We're building everything from the ground up."
Ohhh, SNAP!