Lt. Commander
# 61
08-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naynayz View Post
I am very pleased to see that CS is going in this direction. I will definately be preordering this game as soon as I can. I am overjoyed that they said it will be released sooner than later. Keep up the great work Dev team! I have not played on the cryptic engine but I love what I see so far.
I will be pre=ordering it ASAP as well. Just being able to create new races and such...amazing! Didn't expect it!

Plus, I will definitely be playing as a Gorn, if the concept remains through to release.
Lt. Commander
# 62
08-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Some solid information… this is great. And it comes at a time when we were all looking for new topics to discuss but felt we were doing a lot of speculating. Great timing on Cryptic’s part and great news.

My anticipation increases exponentially with time!
Lt. Commander
# 63
08-08-2008, 03:29 PM
I am actually glad that it will be set a few generations after Nemesis.

After I heard the captains horrible voice overs from Star Trek Legacy I don't know if I want to hear them in STO lol.

This is what Trek needs, a new feel. Now we can start our own adventures in a time that is unexplored by the tv series. New technologies, new races, ships etc. I cant wait to see what the end result will look like. I don't care how advanced some of the Starships are in the new generation, I will be flying around in my refit Akira class

Maybe this will be set so far into the future that the Tribbles have evolved into an extreme threat that rivals that of the borg haha
Lt. Commander
# 64
08-08-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm stoked about the custom races idea; though, in reality, they're not really new races, they're more like cross-breeding. But, mincing words aside, sounds great.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that everyone's going to start as captains. Doesn't that seem a little...strange? So, what's the idea here? Starfleet suddenly has a glut of freshly promoted captains, and decides to issue them all starships? I can see why they'd want to approach it this way, but doesn't the fact that everyone's the rank of captain mess up the idea of a proper crew structure? Since when is a starship manned by all captains? Now, if everyone had started out as Lieutenants, then I could see it...there would be opportunities to raise in rank, and there'd be a stronger sense of crew structure.

Or, are they trying to suggest that we'll be captains of a ship full of NPC's that will serve under us? Where's the fun in that? I really think this needs to be extrapolated on. I hope the footage we see on Sunday will shed a little more light on this.

Despite the "everyone's a captain" thing, I'm still pretty excited about what I'm reading so far.
Lt. Commander
# 65
08-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblazer View Post
I am actually glad that it will be set a few generations after Nemesis.

After I heard the captains horrible voice overs from Star Trek Legacy I don't know if I want to hear them in STO lol.

This is what Trek needs, a new feel. Now we can start our own adventures in a time that is unexplored by the tv series. New technologies, new races, ships etc. I cant wait to see what the end result will look like. I don't care how advanced some of the Starships are in the new generation, I will be flying around in my refit Akira class

Maybe this will be set so far into the future that the Tribbles have evolved into an extreme threat that rivals that of the borg haha
I was talking with my father (who's a big Trekkie) and he always thinks setting anything beyond the series is a mistake. I disagree with him, and 100% agree with your post.
Lt. Commander
# 66
08-08-2008, 03:42 PM
im thinking the character creation will be more like half vulcan/half human hybrids rather than a whole new species?
Lt. Commander
# 67
08-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Very cool that we aren't limited to a few species at start

I wonder if we can make androids, though.

So far, so good with having small ships and being able to earn bigger ones.

Would like to know if there can be player crewmates, or if there'd be a small fleet each time a group of players team up.
Lt. Commander
# 68
08-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
I was talking with my father (who's a big Trekkie) and he always thinks setting anything beyond the series is a mistake. I disagree with him, and 100% agree with your post.
There were complaints that they are rebooting/'reimagining' Star Trek when Kirk and company were young, let alone Star Trek: Enterprise. Rodenberry wanted to keep on moving, and so are we
Lt. Commander
# 69 "Create-a-Race"
08-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyjack View Post
So you've never played a Cryptic game before, then?
Naah, just a couple of little games called City of Heroes and City of Villains. :p

What I mean is, the "create your own race" thing will be cosmetic. You make your fellow have blue skin, with antennae, white hair, and pink eyes... voila! A new race. Maybe a text box next to the name where you can type in a name for your race, too. But no real in-game impact.

People have been hypothesizing all sorts of crazy things about precisely what "design your own race" means. For example:
  • 'A system similar to Spore where once you create a "new race," that race gets populated out into the wider universe in the form of NPCs.
  • As part of designing your "own race," you get to design your race's homeworld, placing continents, cities, starbases ,et cetera
  • As part of designing your "own race," you can design race-specific spaceships.

I don't see any of this happening in STO. Just because I design a race of furry pink aliens called "Lostovians," doesnt mean I will see any other Lostovians anywhere else in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 70
08-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr40k View Post
Naah, just a couple of little games called City of Heroes and City of Villains. :p

What I mean is, the "create your own race" thing will be cosmetic. You make your fellow have blue skin, with antennae, white hair, and pink eyes... voila! A new race. Maybe a text box next to the name where you can type in a name for your race, too. But no real in-game impact.

People have been hypothesizing all sorts of crazy things about precisely what "design your own race" means. For example:
  • 'A system similar to Spore where once you create a "new race," that race gets populated out into the wider universe in the form of NPCs.
  • As part of designing your "own race," you get to design your race's homeworld, placing continents, cities, starbases ,et cetera
  • As part of designing your "own race," you can design race-specific spaceships.

I don't see any of this happening in STO. Just because I design a race of furry pink aliens called "Lostovians," doesnt mean I will see any other Lostovians anywhere else in the game.
Although we likely wont be able to make ships or look very different then other humanoids, it is possible to se others of our race in the game. There are many ways to generate NPC's and one could tie into the character creation process.