Career Officer
# 31
01-26-2013, 02:37 AM
i guess this means there is no hope for a tv series of star trek any time soon.
Captain
# 32
01-26-2013, 02:49 AM
Actually, with JJ out of the way, we could get one a whole lot sooner!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 33
01-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Actually, with JJ out of the way, we could get one a whole lot sooner!
you think that is true? why would that be?
Captain
# 34
01-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Oh boy... All I can say, is this is going to get messy... Sure, Trek had the feel of an SW film, and in that regad, JJ is a (semi)competent director. But. He's also a seriously self-indulgent one. If he directs Episode VII, I can't see him following any of the EU stuff which came after RotJ, and which fans have come to consider as the continuation of the SW franchise.

SW wasn't dead in the water like StarTrek was, the Clone Wars cartoons kept things going while Lucas made his deal to sell it all and retire (to an island filled with naked women, to quote Zephram Cochrane...) SW doesn't need a re-boot, it just needs an appropriate continuation. Enough of the original cast are alive, and at an age where they could still portray their respective characters 30 years later in their lives, with a cast of younger actors as the Solo kids and students at Luke's academy. That would be accepted. That would be reasonable.

JJ doesn't do reasonable...

JJ's going to come in and piss all over the EU 'because he can', and I think the result will be a lot of very annoyed fans, and a film held in the same regard as Highlander II (ie fans trying to forget it ever existed...)

No good can come of this

And the really sad thing about this, is I'm not even a Star Wars fan... Sure, lightsabers are pretty badass, but other than that, I could take it or leave it, my heart's always belonged to Trek, but if even I am worried about this, I wonder how a real die-hard fan of SW may feel...
Captain
# 35
01-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Let's hope they keep him busy for... 50 years...
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Career Officer
# 36
01-26-2013, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
If he directs Episode VII, I can't see him following any of the EU stuff which came after RotJ, and which fans have come to consider as the continuation of the SW franchise.
I've never thought of the EU as anything like that. I've always thought of it as just a nice collaboration of fan-fiction in books and a few games. What's in the movies is what "counts" for me. Everything else is a nice little side story to tell around a campfire.
I miss my _.
Captain
# 37
01-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by origcaptainquack View Post
you think that is true? why would that be?
Don't quote me on it, but I recall reading somewhere that nobody was allowed to make a new Trek series until Abrams was done with his three movies. If he's decided not to do a third, we might get a new series five years earlier than before.
Captain
"Sci-fi director JJ Abrams will head up the seventh Star Wars film, Lucasfilm owner Walt Disney Co has said."

^ Quote from a news website
Your Heavy Graviton Beam deals 26470 (10583) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to Assimilated Carrier.
Career Officer
# 39
01-26-2013, 10:19 AM
There's an ongoing discussion already in the "JJ Wars" thread here in Ten Forward. Join us there if you like.
Member since November 2009... I think.
(UFP) Ragnarök Fleet - Logistics Division Vice Admiral T'Phira; Captain Selena; Captain Altecha; Captain K'Kera; Lieutenant Aydihe Tefx; Subcommander S'ena
(KDF) Lieutenant General Vokno (aka Lady Vokno); Lieutenant General Raylene
Captain
# 40
01-26-2013, 10:22 AM
curses.

Late to the party as always >_<
Your Heavy Graviton Beam deals 26470 (10583) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to Assimilated Carrier.