Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,678
# 41
01-26-2013, 09:28 AM
so.... trek and star wars will become one all powerful Trek Wars under the all powerful hand of JJ abrams.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,303
# 42
01-26-2013, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortwort View Post
I've never thought of the EU as anything like that. I've always thought of it as just a nice collaboration of fan-fiction in books and a few games. What's in the movies is what "counts" for me. Everything else is a nice little side story to tell around a campfire.
I agree, I'm not an EU fan by any means, and don't read any of the books for the exact same reason that the movies are what I consider SW. But, I am aware of them (and vaguely of the ongoing plotline) and know that SW fans take it pretty seriously (especially the Boba Fett fanboys... ) and I just think that if JJ were to ignore stuff in the EU which they consider as soft canon (afterall, they are licensed novels, not just online fanfiction) things could get ugly at a convention Remember a few years back when some guy was arrested from trying to break onto Steven Spielberg's property with what the police described as a 'r@pe kit' in the trunk of his car? Something similar, but a bit less Brokeback Mountain might be in JJ's future if he starts pissing on the EU or having the opening crawl begin with: Tattooine has been destroyed, and Evil is everywhere in the Laurentian Void!!!
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,187
# 43
01-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Abrams can't do that..... might be funny to see his take on Star Wars.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,187
# 44
01-26-2013, 09:35 AM
I've never seen why the EU is anything more than "potential canon".

I have less issues with treating the SW cartoon as canon....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,678
# 45
01-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Abrams can't do that..... might be funny to see his take on Star Wars.
I think it would have been more interesting if Michael bay would have gotten SW. He loves explosions as much as JJ likes Lens flare. I think SW doesnt have enough Explosions in it.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,942
# 46
01-26-2013, 09:36 AM
I think he would be a better fit for Star Wars than Star Trek. He openly admitted that he did not get what made the original cast click. The new Star Trek film I had problems with but the film was an entertaining popcorn flick. As far as the next movie I have my concerns and hopes. But So far I did not think JJ was the right choice for Star Trek.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,303
# 47
01-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I've never seen why the EU is anything more than "potential canon".

I have less issues with treating the SW cartoon as canon....
As far as serious SW fans (especially costumers) are concerned, licensed novels are soft-canon, and thus considered canon until they get contradicted by the hard canon of a movie... As above, I personally don't buy into the whole EU thing, but knowing how seriously some fans take it, I can see things getting nasty if that were to be slighted or ignored by JJ...
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,303
# 48
01-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
I think it would have been more interesting if Michael bay would have gotten SW. He loves explosions as much as JJ likes Lens flare. I think SW doesnt have enough Explosions in it.
Don't forget a head popping up into shot wearing a nightscope
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,187
# 49
01-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
As far as serious SW fans (especially costumers) are concerned, licensed novels are soft-canon, and thus considered canon until they get contradicted by the hard canon of a movie... As above, I personally don't buy into the whole EU thing, but knowing how seriously some fans take it, I can see things getting nasty if that were to be slighted or ignored by JJ...
Which is inevitable. Realistically, you can't write a movie based off of 30 or so books.... the best case scenario is to use bits and peices of stuff to peice together a plot. But there's no way to use all of it...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,303
# 50
01-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Which is inevitable. Realistically, you can't write a movie based off of 30 or so books.... the best case scenario is to use bits and peices of stuff to peice together a plot. But there's no way to use all of it...
Oh I quite agree, it would definitely be a case of taking a few bits from here and there and put something reasonable together, which could then be expanded upon What I was meaning though, was that if that was to just be completely ignored, and JJ was to come up with something revisionist, that's what I think some of the more 'enthusiastic' fans might get uppity about
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:00 AM.