Lt. Commander
# 1 FvF and the Romulan factor.
03-31-2013, 01:19 AM
Just dawned on me that I can take a team of allied Fed Romulans with cloaked Romulan ships into FvF queues and fight Federation players. Since Dstal said that FvF is the most popular way to pvp I should have plenty of Fed targets for my Warbird.
Commander
# 2
03-31-2013, 02:48 AM
You mean a warbird for people to target?

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403
Captain
# 3
03-31-2013, 03:05 AM
I think it'll last about long enough for your Romulan "allies" to realize that Cloaking isn't the magyckal "I Win Button" they thought it was, drop the Warbirds like a bad habit, and go back to running their Federation toons.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Captain
# 4
03-31-2013, 03:32 AM
I think romulans will be death of FvK quee
Captain
# 5
03-31-2013, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
we'll see. the problem infecting KvK is very simple- if you WANT to PvP, AND you're not a Fed primary player (aka don't like playing Fed) and you're not interested in the broken bull**** at kerrat (spawncampers, etc.) you have pretty much only one choice.

FvK. Because the Ques actually pop more than once a decade...because there are Fed players there. IF the Rommies get full cloaking capability on their ships, the Feds hiding in FvF will have a choice-stop PvPing, or learn to deal with cloakers. In that aspect, there may well be a resurgence of activity in FvK since it's rather unlikely that the Devs will apply any sort of balance, making the K side of FvK the less painful option for Federation Players since there are significant quality defects in the most common KDF ships that won't be present in the Romulan offerings.
Captain
# 6
03-31-2013, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
Still believe there are a bunch of Feds that run KDF toons because of the cloak. If they can cloak Fed-side, they'll have no need to run KDF-side. Much like part of KvK is the cloak, that too will also diminish the number of willing participants for FvK.

Even FvF will eventually dwindle to FvK or KvK numbers.

I'd say Romulans will be the death of PvP.

Then again, if you read through the Ask Cryptic thread - the "Hey guys, why are we fighting?" thing is still there on the whiteboard. They're still going to kill the Fed-KDF War somewhere down the line. It will be everybody against all the other baddies in the Universe, sort of thing.

So perhaps at some point, it will just be XvY where both X and Y are simply a mix of everything. Basically, after the KDF become "allies" of the Federation - everything will be FvF wargames as Captains hone their skills against one another - to fight a common enemy with all the intelligence and ability of a rotting potato.

I'm normally just critical, but this Romulan thing - has me over the edge at negative... it's mind-boggling.
Vice Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
V.S.S. Oracle, D'Kyr-class Science Vessel
Captain
# 7
03-31-2013, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Then again, if you read through the Ask Cryptic thread - the "Hey guys, why are we fighting?" thing is still there on the whiteboard. They're still going to kill the Fed-KDF War somewhere down the line. It will be everybody against all the other baddies in the Universe, sort of thing.

So perhaps at some point, it will just be XvY where both X and Y are simply a mix of everything. Basically, after the KDF become "allies" of the Federation - everything will be FvF wargames as Captains hone their skills against one another - to fight a common enemy with all the intelligence and ability of a rotting potato.

I'm normally just critical, but this Romulan thing - has me over the edge at negative... it's mind-boggling.
When Gozer was still with Cryptic he was supposed to revamp the PvP system. One thing he mentioned was that Cryptic plans to get rid of the different queues and create mixed teams of both factions (now three factions). People here on the forums then already concluded that Cryptic will end the war between Feds and KDF and will probably ally them against the Iconians. PvP will then not be a portrait of the war anymore but probably just training exercises. The design decisions with the Romulan faction fit into that picture.
Captain
# 8
03-31-2013, 05:45 AM
Considering Cryptic's track-record of resolving things off-stage in fan magazines (the entire Undine thing for starters) or making major changes by using short-paragraph 'letters' in blog posts, instead of, y'know, actual game play reasons (see: New Romulus), PvP degrading to 'training exercises' is likely.

At which point it's also likely that PvP will lose much of its attraction, thus enabling it to be put down like an ailing pet.
Commander
# 9
03-31-2013, 06:56 AM
And yeah, Romulans and cloak will be death of PvP. KvK is a "no no" because of cloak - thatwas the common Klink explanation why they do not KvK. Only after Romulans showed they started to talk about honor, lack of fun in killing themselves and other such bull****.

And cloak in FvF and FvK will kill it too. Cryptic does not need to do anything. Just upgrade Roms. If they ever get battle cloak...

At least AFKer s will be in seven heaven. I mean - cloak, leave spawn, go "somewhere" - wet dream of anyone worthy the anem AFKer.
Captain
# 10
03-31-2013, 07:33 AM
The cloak is part of several factors.

Cloak
Population
Gear
The KDF don't shed as many tears for nourishment as the Feds do.

There are many factors involved.
Vice Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
V.S.S. Oracle, D'Kyr-class Science Vessel