Captain
# 21
01-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Well to be honest it pays the bills to keep the only Star Trek themed MMO you're likely to get online. From what I gather Cryptic were circling the drain till PWE bought them and now they have a bigger team than they ever had.

Yes it's not going to be the strict cannon a lot of people will crave but then again it's a game that has to make money and the TV show that was furthest in the future was Voyager, which ended in 2001.

Don't get me wrong I don't like having to do the lockbox lottery to get stuff (more so for lobi crystals and items bought with it) and I REALLY hate how it's all character unlock and not account or faction unlock but the lockboxes are a necessary evil that could be tweaked a little to be more fair.

Others have already stated the CBS licenesing issue to the OP too so I'll skip that.

Just my 2 cents.
Captain
# 22
01-25-2013, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpharma View Post
Well to be honest it pays the bills to keep the only Star Trek themed MMO you're likely to get online. From what I gather Cryptic were circling the drain till PWE bought them and now they have a bigger team than they ever had.
And yet, the "content" we've gotten as a result is in every way inferior, and geared almost solely towards sucking the playerbase dry instead of actually providing something resembling an engaging and entertaining game.

Quote:
Yes it's not going to be the strict cannon a lot of people will crave but then again it's a game that has to make money and the TV show that was furthest in the future was Voyager, which ended in 2001.
Nemesis occurs considerably after Voyager.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I don't like having to do the lockbox lottery to get stuff (more so for lobi crystals and items bought with it) and I REALLY hate how it's all character unlock and not account or faction unlock but the lockboxes are a necessary evil that could be tweaked a little to be more fair.
Lockboxes are absolutely not a necessary evil, they're a self serving and greedy money grab. Everything being stuffed into a lockbox could just as easily be put into the c-store for a reasonable price, and people would still buy them. The difference is, if it's in the c-store then players actually have a choice as to what they spend their money on, instead of the giant rigged gambling system that lockboxes are.
Captain
# 23
01-25-2013, 07:26 AM
I couldn't care less about the greedy lottery-boxes and their alien ships, if the funds raised from it would be used to STAR TREK content for both STARFLEET and KDF faction.

I would rather spend 100 bucks on powerful Starfleet ship from TNG era. Dominion ? thanks, but no thanks.
Career Officer
# 24
01-25-2013, 07:51 AM
They have people paying hundreds of dollars for a chance to win one....
Why would they put it on C-Store for $30? Or $50 for that matter?
Captain
# 25
01-25-2013, 08:28 AM
These threads are so funny because there is at least five or six of the same response from different people. I gather that is because either they didn't read the entire thread or want a higher post count.

Anyways, 2387 from Star Trek is actually the farthest on-screen. Book wise, in which the game does take content from, it is in 2385, (except for the STO book), and comics wise, in which the game does take content from, its 2387.

If these lock box ships actually had good story backgrounds rather than a blurb, then I would say yeah I can see that but, the story of a Ferengi company selling front-line warships to Starfleet officers in lieu of their own Starfleet ships is extremely in plausible and it shows that Starfleet has degraded into the same clan-style fleet as the KDF. So Starfleet, the main defensive arm of the UFP, is now run and operated by warlords which make this so far from the true ideals of the UFP is not even funny, soon Cryptic will offer our fleets' planets and that will be factions, our Fleets.

Or STO is just a holodeck adventure that Riker is running.
Career Officer
# 26
01-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbys1 View Post
On the C-store for 30 bucks or so. I wanna get it but I dont wanna spend all that money to get Lobi crystals to get the damn thing.
Pure profit. Why would they sell it on the store for $25-30 when they can make 10X the amount of that with boxes per customer? A typical Jem Dread ship selling this day for about 180-200 or so keys (depending whether one gets 4 or more crystals) equals to $188-$200.

I would wait for the prices to come down...the ships are also being sold in the exchange already for 80MIL ECs...there are some glitches with the fighters so still some bugs to fix.
Career Officer
# 27
01-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
Because they make more money in lottery.
This. Why charge only $30 for the ship when they can charge you $300 or $3000 for a chance to get it?
Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. For specific reasons why and suggestions for future improvements to STO, please look here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.
Captain
# 28
01-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Why couldent PWE sell the Jem?Hadar Dreadnought Carrier?

The better question is why didn't Cryptic wait and release a Dominion faction with rewards like Romulan and Omega? (Although having maximum positive reputation with everyone at the same time even in the idealistic Star Trek universe is more than a bit absurd.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
Because they make more money in lottery.
That is the answer to any and all questions pertaining to the Cryptic decision process. Longevity and quality of gameplay are not factors.
All cloaks should be canon.
Empire Veteran
# 29
01-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbys1 View Post
On the C-store for 30 bucks or so. I wanna get it but I dont wanna spend all that money to get Lobi crystals to get the damn thing.
Giving us the ability to buy the Jem Carrier outright would have been nice but there would have been no way for Cryptic to use it to boost the sales of lock box keys.

I like the Jem Carrier but what kills it for me is the fact that if I want to use Bug ships has hanger support I need to 1st own the lock box Bug ship and have it unpacked and tacking up a ship slot just to buy the hanger versions for the Carrier

I don't want the Bug ship and would have no need for it on my KDF main that only uses carriers.

Cryptic has relly hit a new low with own a Bug to buy a Bug scam, all there trying to do is squeeze more money out of the player base with this and it's sickening

If I own the Jem Carrier I should be able to buy all avaiable Hanger options for it without haveing to own a ship that I'd never use.
Starfleet Veteran
# 30
01-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
And yet, the "content" we've gotten as a result is in every way inferior,
Lets compare new social zones like New Romulus to an older social zone like Andoria. Even places like bajor have some function and missions attached to it. Places like andoria and risa don't count.

Right now their focus is to get new systems into place. The other things they have to do is revamp old system and add new content. When we look at Season 7 they added the reputation system. since it was based off a previous system they could put more time into a new sector block. Considering the content drought that was mid season 3 to 5 of about 10 months where nothing changed I'm ok if all they could do was add a few missions like no win or colony invasion. we have seen them do more.