Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,689
# 81
01-26-2013, 07:29 AM
All ships (except escorts/raiders) should have shuttle bays. It is canon.
Carriers should be the only ones that allow frigates.
Been saying that for 3 yrs.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,229
# 82
01-26-2013, 07:38 AM
So much Atrox hate.

She might be the "worst" carrier, but she is in the running for the best sci ship, IMO. I prefer her to the Vesta until I feel like moving a bit faster for a while. Usually doesn't last and I want to go back to my 2xHangar bays.
I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!

Vice Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 514
# 83
01-26-2013, 07:49 AM
I love the atrox, I'd just like to be able to turn around in a minute or two.

..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13,618
# 84
01-26-2013, 07:57 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_turn

Turning is not just about going forward at various speeds while leaning left or right.


"Wheeeee, this is kind of fun. Oopsie...my bad."
Fleet Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
Arcadia, Benthan Assault Cruiser
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,628
# 85
01-26-2013, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmym View Post
She might be the "worst" carrier, but she is in the running for the best sci ship, IMO. I prefer her to the Vesta until I feel like moving a bit faster for a while. Usually doesn't last and I want to go back to my 2xHangar bays.
The thing is it isnt and I am not talking about the Vesta ...

Lets compare it with the Intrepid, the Intrepid have a extra ensign science station (Cmdr, Lt. Cmdr and Ens) and before you say the Atrox have have a Cmdr Engineering station I will point out the Intrepid can turn, the real issue is a lot of Science abilities are Deflector based, meaning they have a arc, a 90' targeting arc.

Lets see the science abilities that are deflector based ... Tachyon Beam, Gravity Well, Tyken's Rift and Viral Matrix.

The Atrox suffers the same problem as the Galaxy-X, its a ship with a unsuitable turn rate for the abilities it was given, as the Galaxy-X cannot really use its DHCs because it cannot turn at least it have uses, including in STFs as a lot of enemies in STFs cannot really move ... the Atrox? It cannot really use the actual science abilities because it cannot turn and in STFs its relegated to the exact same role as the Galaxy-X, except being worst at it because at least the Galaxy-X have the Lance and have a 4/4 configuration as the Atrox cannot do crap because 3/3, no Sensor Analysis and having Borg ships that are pretty much invulnerable to every science ability.

And that is why the Atrox sucks, its a "heavy debuffer/Tank" with no mobility in a game were debuffing is pretty much a PvP only thing because were they could be useful, the enemies are simply immune to then.

This isnt "hate", this are facts ... can I get a refund now?


Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzy4 View Post
I was thinking they could break the mold[/color] [color="DarkOrange"]on the atrox, and give it a 3rd tactical slot, and a point or 2 to maneuverability instead of buffing the hull. That would give it a bit more of a competitive edge.
If they did that I would ***** to high heavens about having payed for a garbage ship only to be asked to be on the "right" fleet so I could have a slightly less worthless ship, and of course, having to pay even more.

A 3rd Tactical slot on it is about as useful as a 4th Engineering slot on the B'rel so I am not dismissing the notion they might do that.

The only thing the Atrox can compete is at hauling garbage .... unless we are talking PvP and I could not care less about PvP.

Last edited by f2pdrakron; 01-26-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,241
# 86
01-26-2013, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Shortly before STO went into Beta, I designed THIS Federation Battlecarrier in response to the newly revealed Vo'Quv Carrier.

Of course at the time Cryptic said "no" to Federation Carriers, but people liked my design, even if it did purposely have similarities to the Enterprise-J.


Even though this picture is 4 years old, I can easily make an updated sketch giving her proper scaling and detail.
I like the concept Azurian.

I sent you a friend's request so I could send you a PM. I have zero drawing skills but I do have a couple of suggestions for you.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 514
# 87
01-26-2013, 08:27 AM
I disagree to a point. I agree that most of your offensive science powers are very difficult to use, as even with the three point turn around, it takes allot of time with the inertia the atrox has. It tends to deligate it into a healer role, which it can do, but not as well as an engineering vessel.

..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,229
# 88
01-26-2013, 08:41 AM
The Atrox has just as many boff skill slots as any other ship, and compared to a ship with an ensign you get an upgraded skill. If the Atrox had a lt sci and a sci ens instead of the ltcom sci you would lose the ability to load a high end sci power. It is a buff, not a penalty.

As for mobility, yes, you are less mobile. PvP I'm sure that would come into play. I don't bother with that mini game. PvE you can get your nose on things well enough for the split second it takes to fire off your frontals. Plenty of sci abilities can be used from any arc as well. I honestly have more problems landing my EWP then my front 90 abilities. Practice with turning I guess. You get used to her.

Different strokes for different folks. Sometimes I want a faster ship, too. Those times I fly a faster ship.
I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!

Vice Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,628
# 89
01-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzy4 View Post
I disagree to a point. I agree that most of your offensive science powers are very difficult to use, as even with the three point turn around, it takes allot of time with the inertia the atrox has. It tends to deligate it into a healer role, which it can do, but not as well as an engineering vessel.
Leading it to be something that just spawns pets, except Fed pets suck hard ... or should I say, there is a lack of light attack ships as the Vo'quv at least have the B'Rotlh Hangar and the Vo'quv have a little more teeth, at least it can fire a BO III and some higher level tactical abilities as the Atrox might as well not even equip weapons.

Oh this is just rich ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmym View Post
The Atrox has just as many boff skill slots as any other ship, and compared to a ship with an ensign you get an upgraded skill. If the Atrox had a lt sci and a sci ens instead of the ltcom sci you would lose the ability to load a high end sci power. It is a buff, not a penalty.
To start you are saying a Engineering ability is equal to Science ability and a Tactical ability ... they arent, even within the same type of abilities there are some who are not exactly worth it.

What I get is lower cooldown due to duplicates as its the only damn point, there is no reason to load up on 7 science abilities.

Quote:
As for mobility, yes, you are less mobile.
Understatement ...

Quote:
PvP I'm sure that would come into play. I don't bother with that mini game.
No. mobility comes into play as it comes with defense and the ability to actually having something within firing arc, this is why the Bortas despite being the Heavy Cruiser of Doom is not favored because it can barely move and so unable to focus its firepower as well as pretty much every other Battlecruiser.

Quote:
PvE you can get your nose on things well enough for the split second it takes to fire off your frontals.
No, try again.

You MAY fire your powers but thats it, everything can and will outrun and leave your "nose" and far too many things are simply immune, also pretty much every actual science ship can do the same and BETTER because they can actually turn.


Quote:
Plenty of sci abilities can be used from any arc as well.
Everything I have not listed have no arc but lets see?

Jam Sensors? Just makes they target someone else that you.
Mask Energy Signature? ... goes without comment ...
Tractor Beam? 5km or less.
Transfer Shield Strength? I am a WoW cleric!
Charged Particle Burst? LOL worthless
Energy Siphon? useful ... unless you are trying to use it on a Gate.
Feedback Pulse? Weak because it only reflects a percentage of energy damage and we are talking about NPCs here
Photonic Officer? Useful but you are paying for it very well and considering the cost, not worth it in the Atrox.
Tractor Beam Repulsors? Useful but problematic due to its AoE that makes it likely to draw unwanted aggro (same as FaW)
Scramble Sensors? Borg are immune.
Photonic Shockwave? not useful due to 3km range and being kinetic in damage (meaning shields will negate it)

Quote:
I honestly have more problems landing my EWP then my front 90 abilities. Practice with turning I guess. You get used to her.
Its irrelevant, OTHER PROPER science ships can do it BETTER ... the Atrox is a Cruiser/Science Hybrid that takes THE WORST of both classes, you DONT get SA on it BUT you still get 3/3 weapons WITH a crippling turn rate.

I suppose on paper it makes sense but a lot of things look fine on paper as in practice they dont work and in this case the crippling "balance" simply made it a Fed Vo'quv with +5 to shields, more hull, far worst pets and with BO layout that says "I am a WoW Cleric with Armor and shield but cannot move".

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks. Sometimes I want a faster ship, too. Those times I fly a faster ship.
Does not change the fact the Atrox IS garbage, just like the Galaxy variants are garbage since they dont work in the game we have, its not the ship itself that is the main problem, its everything else that is ... the Atrox main problem is that it have worthless pets that might sound good on paper they dont work because they die again and again due to the horrible AI, low hull and the fact Tetryon proc DOESNT even work in space, not to mention what is the damn point after the shields are gone to deal shield damage? IF there was a actual NON CRAPPY attack Pet then maybe there would be a point but currently the only thing anyone should equip on a Atrox is either Advanced Peregrine Fighters or the T5 Scorpions, not the Stalkers and THOSE are supposed to be the Atrox selling point, the reason why we forked 2500 Zen.

I want a refund.

Last edited by f2pdrakron; 01-26-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,229
# 90
01-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Leading it to be something that just spawns pets, except Fed pets suck hard ... or should I say, there is a lack of light attack ships as the Vo'quv at least have the B'Rotlh Hangar and the Vo'quv have a little more teeth, at least it can fire a BO III and some higher level tactical abilities as the Atrox might as well not even equip weapons.

Fed pets are kinda weak, but elite scorps are nice. They've taken up residence in both my Atrox and my Vesta.
I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!

Vice Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 PM.