Captain
Here's the situation.

Quite recently, STO has become extremely laggy. Using /netgraph, my normal ping is showing as about 60ms. But there are random spikes ranging anywhere from 200, to 3000, and more. The "server not responding" message in red shows up quite frequently.

But it doesn't make sense.

I have always used the US proxy server because it performed better than the primary server. If I ping the proxy from the command line, my ping is around 25-27ms, no dropped packets, no spikes, steady as clockwork. If I use tracert, I can see that I am only 9 hops from the proxy, and all of the hops are very fast and reliable. In fact, all of the remote hosts that the client connected to show good ping times.

So as far as I can tell, this is NOT a problem with my ISP, because all the network tools I have used say that the connections are fine.

(And, yes, the primary game server sans proxy still performs like ass)

Is anybody else seeing this?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Started having this problem today. Glad it's not just me.
Career Officer
# 3
01-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
But it doesn't make sense.

I have always used the US proxy server because it performed better than the primary server. If I ping the proxy from the command line, my ping is around 25-27ms, no dropped packets, no spikes, steady as clockwork. If I use tracert, I can see that I am only 9 hops from the proxy, and all of the hops are very fast and reliable. In fact, all of the remote hosts that the client connected to show good ping times.....
This is because pinging the proxy does nothing to show the latency between the Proxy 'Gateway' (not Server) and the STO Servers.

This is like flying from New York to Florida via Denver. Pinging the Proxy is like measuring the flight time to Denver only, and not including the flight time from Denver to Florida
Career Officer
# 4
01-21-2013, 12:08 AM
You can try pinging patchserver.crypticstudios.com At least it's not a proxy and appears* to be located in close proximity to game server farms.

Plus it's not always Cryptic's fault. Netlag for games like this can have many causes...

On the other paw, when my ping to the patchserver is < 100ms while the gameserver shows 1000ms with lots of PL...

*Just because the IP addresses seem to put them on the same LAN doesn't mean much. Public IPs and whatnot after all. But at least you know that your connection from your doorstep to their doorstep is ok. In my experience, when I get a lot of packet loss pinging the patchserver, I will get the same for the game servers. i.e. the netlag to the game server is never better than the netlag to the patchserver.
Captain
# 5
01-21-2013, 01:47 AM
I can't think of a reason why a poor connection to the patch server would have any influence on the game's network performance when just standing around not patching anything. But the patch server talks to me just fine so it's doubly-irrelevant.

Curiously, I did see some timeouts when pinging the US proxy, but they do NOT coincide with the /netgraph in the game. A ping timing out from the proxy did not show as a spike of lag in the game, and when the server randomly stopped talking to me for 30 seconds straight, the pings kept coming back nice and steady. I attached wireshark to this, and what's really really interesting, is that even though I get "server not responding" and everything freezes for seconds at a time, there is a constant uninterrupted stream of packets between my machine and US1.

Should we assume that while the client<->US1 link is fine, the US1<->farm link is barely functional? Did Cryptic break their proxy?

And I would like to reiterate that this all started going FUBAR just the other day. The game has been working just fine, network-wise, since I started playing months ago.
Career Officer
# 6
01-21-2013, 02:39 AM
Quote:
I can't think of a reason why a poor connection to the patch server would have any influence on the game's network performance when just standing around not patching anything. But the patch server talks to me just fine so it's doubly-irrelevant.
If both server farms are co-located, then a bad connection to the patchserver (which should be relatively unloaded) implies a bad connection to the game server farms. Or at least the networks.

Quote:
Curiously, I did see some timeouts when pinging the US proxy, but they do NOT coincide with the /netgraph in the game. A ping timing out from the proxy did not show as a spike of lag in the game, and when the server randomly stopped talking to me for 30 seconds straight, the pings kept coming back nice and steady. I attached wireshark to this, and what's really really interesting, is that even though I get "server not responding" and everything freezes for seconds at a time, there is a constant uninterrupted stream of packets between my machine and US1.
Try tracing the EU and US proxies... you'll find that they have more than a few similarities. It's the same thing with pinging the patchhserver. It's intended to see if your connection to Cryptic's is good or bad. Nothing more. But the patchserver is 'closer' to the game servers. If you're using Wireshark, then you should know what I mean.

Quote:
Should we assume that while the client<->US1 link is fine, the US1<->farm link is barely functional? Did Cryptic break their proxy?

And I would like to reiterate that this all started going FUBAR just the other day. The game has been working just fine, network-wise, since I started playing months ago.
I've seen episodes of this pop-up on and off in the past year. Some issues are definitely on their end. For example the 'lag' for events to get updated on the Exchange or assignments. That came about mid-year and has never left. If you are new to the game, you wouldn't know that event updates used to be instantaneous. It's definitely not a network issue for us. But it's 'lag' all the same as far as player experience goes.

So when I hit this excessive lag, I bug it and tell them my ping/PL for both the patchserver and the game server. Maybe if enough of us complain about it, they'll feed the game server's hamster more grass.
Ensign
# 7
01-21-2013, 03:25 AM
Hey,

I'm having the same issue. It started off with small lag tears. Then on into rubber banding. Then it progressed into loosing connection to the server and sometimes disconnecting me. It only started today and a few people in my fleet are experiencing the same thing. We all live in different areas of the Country(USA).

I pinged a few sites. Did a traceroute. Flushed my IP. Nothing seemed to help. Although my traceroute did keep timing on the third hop.

And now It's lagging from the moment I log on. The game is now un-playable. Can we have someone look into this?
Ensign
# 8
01-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Yeah I'm suffering from the same amount of massive lag for a week by now, this better gets fixed soon
Career Officer
# 9
01-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Ditto. I followed instructions I found two weeks ago to see if my system works and all was fine. It comes and goes. That being said, when it gets bad I can't even do anything because of the lag - not even the rep system. I sit there staring at the screen in near rage trying to will the cursor to move where I want it to go or click where I want it to click....

Makes me feel like Adam Sandler from Happy Gilmore....
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
Ensign
# 10
01-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Sigh...

Does this company have any forum CS reps? Do they even deal with posts on this forum? All I see is moderating...