Commander
# 1 Nadion Inversion
01-21-2013, 10:31 AM
This is Nadion Inversion. - Almost useless. When its up it's nice to combat weapons power drains, but it has a long cooldown. That's it though. It's ok, but don't to anything a pair of batteries wouldn't do better or more often. They're are build out there (klingon energy siphon drones) that will pretty much shut a ship down on demand that it can help with, but only once every three minuets.

This is Mask Energy Signature. - Not great, but not too bad. The +30-50% defense bonus is nice entering combat. Not being the first thing seen or targeted is also nice for something like a carrier or slower end cruiser.

-------

My suggestion: Make Nadion Inversion a toggle that drains -5 to -10 power from all systems. Outrageous? Consider that with inversion active, system are not going to drop more then another -10 to 20 power ... ever. (Well short of the MACO set beam, but that's reduced to ~25.)
Captain
# 2
01-21-2013, 10:49 AM
No thanks, I like my Nadion inversion the way it is, if you can't counter a drain boat thats your problem.
Captain
# 3
01-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Nadon Inversion is easily one of the best engineering skills in the game. Combined with EPS Power Transfer it's essentially Engineer God Mode.

Last edited by tsurutafan01; 01-21-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Commander
# 4
01-21-2013, 01:04 PM

It not counting a drain boat is a minor point.

It's the only engineering ability I like besides rotate shield frequency(ground or space) or orbital strike. It's just kind of 'meh' because of the long cool down making you wait to use it until you actually have something to stop a power drain.

Still, you'd turn down a constant ~60% power drain resistance buff? Of all the complaints I thought I'd see that's not one of them. (Even at a nasty -20 power to all systems, and 50% drain resistance that would still be bargain.)

--------

Yes, the weapons power thing is nice, but let's compare:

Tactical Initiative: Spammable whenever you need a boost, or stack things to get Attack Pattern Alpha Back.

Scattering Field: You _should_ be spamming this. It's a AoE with a nasty +res buff. (Edit: Crossed wires with sensor scan.)

Nadion Inversion: ... You could spam this, but to get more then token use out of it you have to wait for something like the MACO set's beam, Beam Overload, or someone is trying to drain you.

Last edited by resoundingenvoy; 01-21-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Captain
# 5
01-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Its not as good as most tac captain or a lot of sci captain powers, but its far from useless. Throw it on a cruiser running a 6-8 beam broadside and watch the damage go up by half again. Not nearly as useful as APA and far less useful in other ship classes that don't have such drain problems, but its a long way from "useless."
Commander
# 6
01-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Useless it is not.

Noticeably less useful, yes. Potentially improved by being a toggle power, yes.
Captain
# 7
01-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by resoundingenvoy View Post
Still, you'd turn down a constant ~60% power drain resistance buff? Of all the complaints I thought I'd see that's not one of them. (Even at a nasty -20 power to all systems, and 50% drain resistance that would still be bargain.)
Yes I'd turn that down, I use NI more than I do either of the other two skills you mentioned, my eng can reach 3.9 to 4.9k DPS in a fleet Excelsior using a combo of FAW+AP:B+EPtW+EPS Power transfer+DEM (Doff) followed by FAW+AP:B+EPtW+NI followed by FAW+AP:B+EPtW+Weapon battery followed by FAW+AP:B+EPtW then rinse and repeat.

with that cycle going my weapon power never gets below 90
Commander
# 8
01-21-2013, 01:52 PM
O.o

Do the math with me:

Assuming you have a 6 array beam boat? (and all you care about is weapons power)

For 30 out of every 180 seconds you save let's just shoot low and say 5 power per array. That's a total of 30 power per cycle. Average that over the total 180 and you save ~5 power per cycle.

Edit: Got my wires crossed again.

At even the lower end a constant ,even the lower end (-20 power and 50% resistance)? You save a solid constant average of 5 power per array. For a total of 30 power saved. Less the -20 for the constant drain, you still average a total saving of 10 power per cycle.

Shooting low, and trading a lot in return you still save at least x2 as much power by a constant buff.

Last edited by resoundingenvoy; 01-21-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Captain
# 9
01-21-2013, 02:14 PM
And what I have better fits my purposes
Captain
# 10
01-21-2013, 02:19 PM
It might be fun to make this ability a toggle.

Inversion OFF: business as usual.

Inversion ON: 50% immunity to drains, BOFF cooldown time increased by 25%

Can only change modes once per 15 seconds.

But yeah, I don't bother with this very much in its current implementation. The cooldown is too long for it to a standard part of my strategy. The primary purpose of this ability seems to be to underscore how utterly ridiculous the power drain on beam arrays is, so that cruisers can periodically feel sick about how much damage they SHOULD be doing but AREN'T.