Career Officer
I've been reading a lot of information via the STOwiki about how certain playable races are, well, lined up for cancellation.

But given that this is an unofficial source, I'd prefer to get the information direct from those who know, if that's allowed or possible.

Here's my list of planned future characters:

Hirogen Tactical (Romulan Faction).
Jem'Hadar Tactical (Dominion/True Way Faction).
Liberated Borg Cardassian Science (Cardassian/True Way Faction).
Ocampan Science (Starfleet Faction).

But according to the research I've been doing, those first 3 options are highly unlikely now.

I'll summarize:
Hirogen and LiberatedBorg are suggested to be removed from the upcoming Romulan faction.
One of the Cryptic Dev Blogs stated that the Romulan Faction is a testbed for the Cardassian faction, how that is recieved will determine the implementation of the Cardassian faction.
And well, if LiberatedBorg is not made available for Romulans, then logically, Cardassians won't have it either.
I have no data on Jem'Hadar playable.
Ocampan Sci is a high probablity, but Cryptic have not set a release date yet (other then long-term future content).

I'm surprised they even considered the idea of cancelling LiberatedBorg characters for the next faction, that's not going to be recieved well by Lifetimers.

And the Romulan faction is already limited enough in terms of playable species, removing 2 of them is a 40% reduction in options.
Romulan, Reman, Custom Alien, that's not a lot!

And to forestall the inevitable debate, a Custom Alien made to look like a Hirogen or a Jem'Hadar is not the same thing.
Firstly, they don't have the Traits specific to that Species (Dominion Soldier and Shroud for Jem'Hadar to pick an example).
Secondly, they don't have the costume options either (like Hirogen Armor or Jem'Hadar uniforms).
And last of all, they don't have the species specific ships (Axon battleship, Dominion Battlecruiser and Keldon).

The point of this post is to determine if there's actually a future in STO for any of my new characters.
My current Starfleet and KDF have pretty much done all there is to do, they don't do a lot except collect fleet marks now.

And no, I'm not going to roll a new character for the sake of "rolling a new character".
There's so much work involved now, Diplomacy, Colony Cluster Chains, Omega and Romulan Reputation (with associated gear to requistion) that I'm not motivated to put the effort forth unless there's something new and exciting about the experience (i.e: something I haven't done before!).

Last edited by tilarta; 01-26-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Captain
# 2
01-26-2013, 07:59 AM
I don't know where you got all this information from but I actually like the limited range of species for the Romulan faction (well, if it is true ... you can never know when it comes to dev statements). I would even approve if the 'alien' species would be removed, just to make sure that the Romulan faction is not ANOTHER big happy family Federation type faction. Romulans are highly xenophobic, it is canon wise just highly unlikely they would welcome everyone and their mothers to their ranks. I mean many of them even have still issues when it comes to dealing with the Remans.

What I don't like is no liberated Romulan Borg for Lifetimers. I don't really see a reason why these shouldn't exist.
Captain
# 3
01-26-2013, 08:13 AM
I'm hoping they decide to think of finishing the KDF before they do a third faction and at the moment this seems to be a waste of time creating another half baked faction when there is only grinding content and a half finished faction
Captain
# 4
01-26-2013, 08:28 AM
I think people are deluding themselves with the idea of a Romulan (or Cardassian) faction, and have been grasping at shreds of information to build up the idea.

The only thing that's been stated positively is that Romulan ships are unlikely to appear because it would cut into any Romulan species identity, and that Romulans may be a future species option.

People have read a LOT into that, but a) just because one person said it doesn't mean they won't change their mind, and b) there are a lot of ways in which Romulans may appear as player options that don't involve an actual faction.

For instance, there could be some sort of minipack where you start as Romulan and, after the tutorial sequence, decide to join the Federation or the Empire (a la' Pandaren from World of ********, and I think some other options in other games).

Or there could be a Romulan species selection of one of the existing factions that, with a mission, lets you unlock a special Romulan ship.

Or Romulan ships could be additional Reputation rewards.

Or there could be a Zen store Romulan pack, that unlocks Romulan species as well as a Romulan ship or two.

And so on.

Given Cryptic's unwillingness to throw money at a minority for KDF, it seems extremely unlikely that they'd throw money at another faction. The above options could be more easily monetized, which is key.
Rihannsu
# 5
01-26-2013, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
[...]
The point of this post is to determine if there's actually a future in STO for any of my new characters.
My current Starfleet and KDF have pretty much done all there is to do, they don't do a lot except collect fleet marks now.[...]
Honestly, I don't think that you will be able to play any of those character concepts for the next two years. A Romulan faction Hirogen could happen, yes, and I'd really hope for it. But the time scale for the others is probably well beyond 2015.

I'd instead suggest you try out more things with your existing characters, like playing Foundry missions, maxing out their reputations (the existing ones and those to come) and get more crew and gear for them.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Captain
# 6
01-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahinder View Post
For instance, there could be some sort of minipack where you start as Romulan and, after the tutorial sequence, decide to join the Federation or the Empire (a la' Pandaren from World of ********, and I think some other options in other games).
Maybe my expectations for this game are just at an all time low, but I must say I really like this idea: Romulan characters which can be bought in c-store, start at lvl 40/50 and get immediatly a range of Romulan ships to choose from at the start and who then join one of the existing factions. Considering the events on New Romulus this wouldn't even be too far off story wise and Romulan ships would stay restricted to Romulan characters.

A real Romulan faction would still be preferable but I don't think we will ever see one.
Captain
# 7
01-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahinder View Post
I think people are deluding themselves with the idea of a Romulan (or Cardassian) faction, and have been grasping at shreds of information to build up the idea.
Stahl seems to want a Romulan faction and as I would dismiss it like most of his vague statements but the fact we havent seen a Warbird on a lock box says that at least they havent sold the idea down the right ... at least just yet.

Cardassian? LOL no (especially True Way that will never happen, we would have a Iconian and Undine factions if that ever happened).

But Romulans ... until we see a Warbird on a Lock Box it seems it might happen, makes a lot more sense that the KDF ever made as a faction.

Last edited by f2pdrakron; 01-26-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Career Officer
# 8
01-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Well, it was outright stated that Romulans had managed to ally themselves with the Hirogen, hence why the Hirogen were slated to be a playable race for the Romulan faction.

Also, the reason this list was composed are these are my favorite Trek species, hence why I wanted to play as
them.

Also, the recent season says Romulans are becoming less insular and more outgoing.
The whole New Romulus zone is geared around that concept.
So, it's not improbable that other species are welcomed into the fold.
Also, the Romulan Star Empire was one of the significant galactic powers, who knows what other races were under their banner?
Although so far, Flaxian is the only one that's been identified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
I'd instead suggest you try out more things with your existing characters, like playing Foundry missions, maxing out their reputations (the existing ones and those to come) and get more
crew and gear for them.
Foundry holds no interest for me, outside of Investigate Officer Reports.
Omega and Romulan Reputation are maxed.
Crews are well rounded (plus, I'm at the boff limit).
Boffs are geared up.

When I said I'd done it all, I meant it!

Last edited by tilarta; 01-26-2013 at 01:26 PM.