Captain
# 1 Birth of the Phaser maybe?
01-26-2013, 05:16 PM
It seems that Lasers are about to become a real world defensive capability built into our fighter planes in the form of Laser Turrets. Tests begin next year apparently...

http://gizmodo.com/5978740/us-milita...mbat-airplanes

Could this be the first step in making "Phaser Arrays" a reality? Only time (a lot of time I think) will tell!
Captain
# 2
01-26-2013, 11:29 PM
It is entirely possible to rename Lasers to Phasers since Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation and PHoton Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation is the exact same thing. In fact, Phaser seems to be a more accurate name for it.

Although, I don't see the laboratory tests mentioned to actually see if it is viable.
Lieutenant
# 3
01-27-2013, 12:06 AM
I sure hope it comes with a stun setting...
Captain
# 4
01-27-2013, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddriver View Post
I don't think Lasers support such a thing as "Stun"...
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Ensign
# 5
01-27-2013, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I don't think Lasers support such a thing as "Stun"...
Nope, no stun settings at all. But there probably will be Crispy and Extra crispy settings though.
Captain
# 6
01-27-2013, 09:30 AM
I suppose a 'lightly toasted' setting could be a stun as the pain of a heavy phaser 'sunburn' would keep a target down...
Captain
# 7
01-27-2013, 10:42 AM
What I meant is: Phasers and Lasers are not even related in the family of weapons.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Career Officer
# 8
01-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
It is entirely possible to rename Lasers to Phasers since Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation and PHoton Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation is the exact same thing. In fact, Phaser seems to be a more accurate name for it.

Although, I don't see the laboratory tests mentioned to actually see if it is viable.
The PH in Phaser does not mean PHoton, it means PHased.

The whole thing is called "Phased energy rectification", that's not the same as a photon spitter.
Commander
# 9
01-28-2013, 07:17 AM
It's nothing new!
During the Cold War Navy's had Radar's so focused they could burn up an incoming missle or kill (cook alive) a pilot in a fighter jet, in fact these same/similar Radars are used today to guide missles.
Only we couldn't use them as direct weapons because of the Geneva-Convention!

A Laser-Phalanx has been in development for some time and the americans have several Jumbo-Jets equipted with GIANT lasers on the noses to burn down incomng Balistic missles for some time.
However Lasers on fighter jets... I doubt that will be realistic to deploy for a few decades yet... I should know, my job is 'Weapons Engineer' after all!

Hell near the end of the Second World War, the Japanesse pursued Micro-Wave technology instead of Atomic Weapons because they believed it to be 'more realistic'... coming from the same people that dubbed this technology 'Death Rays'! A shame that the modern Micro-Wave is more powerful than what they came up with... Ironic!
ATTENTION: UNDINE SPACE & TKON GROUND SETS ALL THE WAY DEVS!.. Q-TRIBBLE, MAYBE!?.. EJECT WARP CORE ABILITY LIKE LAYING A SUPER-MINE, HELL YES!!!.. SPACE HIPPIES FROM TOS PLAYING MUSIC IN OUR FLEET STARBASE, NO, JUST, NO... CAIT & RA'KHOLN ADVENTURE ZONE, YES

Last edited by rickysmith1; 01-28-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 10
01-28-2013, 09:18 AM
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ser-downs-uavs
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?