Ensign
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
# 1 Kinetic Cutting Beam Question
02-07-2013, 08:46 AM
So I'm flying a Vesta and thanks to many great peeps who've volunteered advice I'm flying a great ship with a good build. I just started getting rank 2 in Omega faction and am looking at that cutting beam and so far, I want it.

360 degree arc works great for my cannons / turrrets. Some kinetic dmg is nice as well, but the question I have, is that since it's a beam weapon, can I use subsystem targeting with it??
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
# 2
02-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurpslord View Post
So I'm flying a Vesta and thanks to many great peeps who've volunteered advice I'm flying a great ship with a good build. I just started getting rank 2 in Omega faction and am looking at that cutting beam and so far, I want it.

360 degree arc works great for my cannons / turrrets. Some kinetic dmg is nice as well, but the question I have, is that since it's a beam weapon, can I use subsystem targeting with it??
Sadly not
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Ensign
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
# 3
02-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Darn, it's the only part of my lil' vesta i'm not making use of. I'm hesitant, in fact, loathe to install a beam on either side just to take advantage of subsytem targeting. The loss of DPS just doesn't seem worth it.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
# 4
02-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurpslord View Post
Darn, it's the only part of my lil' vesta i'm not making use of. I'm hesitant, in fact, loathe to install a beam on either side just to take advantage of subsytem targeting. The loss of DPS just doesn't seem worth it.
Yes, that's the trade-off you have to make unfortunately - if you wanted to forgo the Aux turrets you could put together a plasma setup using either Fleet or Romulan DHCs and turrets - then you could equip the Experimental Beam Array (which uses zero power and works with SST) but it's kind of robbing Peter to pay Paul
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 327
# 5
02-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
Yes, that's the trade-off you have to make unfortunately - if you wanted to forgo the Aux turrets you could put together a plasma setup using either Fleet or Romulan DHCs and turrets - then you could equip the Experimental Beam Array (which uses zero power and works with SST) but it's kind of robbing Peter to pay Paul
I'd pass on the fleet DHC(and most advanced fleet weapons in general) dmgx3 looks ok in a tooltip but can't keep up with most other modifier combinations (i use ACC crthx2 and ACC crtdx2 primarily) the romulan DHC with ACCx2 romulan dhc is going to outdps the DMGx3 ACC fleet weapons

Also agreed on the romulan array i've heard of it being some form of death ray with BO
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 851
# 6
02-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Oh no! A science ship that has to sacrifice DPS!
Ensign
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 29
# 7
02-07-2013, 10:04 AM
IMO, the KCB is a good replacement for a turret, though my one gripe with it is that if it misses a fighter, it keeps firing at empty space for the rest of the shot rather than compensating.

One thing that complements it is the Romulan Experimental beam array, on an escort it's very handy for picking off those pesky fighters
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:48 AM.