Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 238
# 1 Idea about normal cloak
01-26-2013, 01:50 AM
I just happened to witness a Defiant needs battle cloak conversation again.
And I agree that it wouldn't be fair and balanced.
However it made me think about how silly the current normal cloak mechanic still is.

Captain! We have been hit by a stray disruptor beam from a shuttle, so I will refuse to recloak the ship and most certainly condone this ship to certain death when those Warships catch up with us!

Why not make it so the normal cloak power can be activated at any time, but being shot at places a short debuff on yourself that keeps you visible with shields down?
That way using regular cloak in combat would still be impossible.
And the cloak mechanic would be way less silly, and sometimes annoying.
Perhaps they might actually fix the current uncloak bug while they're at it.
It's also canon.

Vornek@oberlerchner123 - Join Date: July 2008
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 432
# 2
01-26-2013, 09:22 AM
I don't really think it's a balance issue anymore. Factional diversity? Look at all the cross faction ships, or even the consoles in lock boxes.

What would Battle Cloak on the only two Federation ships that use it actually hurt at this point?
__________________________________________
Foundry: Yet Another Borg Mission
It's terrible but easy, and these Borg are way cooler than the mess STO and Voyager left us.
May not actually be "way" cooler or even "slightly" cooler.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 238
# 3
01-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Well I guess balance went out the airlock a while ago.

Vornek@oberlerchner123 - Join Date: July 2008
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,619
# 4
01-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Well I think if they made normal cloak with a 4 minute cooldown there would be not many issues and it would end most arguments.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,465
# 5
01-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehale View Post
I don't really think it's a balance issue anymore. Factional diversity? Look at all the cross faction ships, or even the consoles in lock boxes.

What would Battle Cloak on the only two Federation ships that use it actually hurt at this point?
The KDF don't have a 5 Tac console escort like the defient is. Imo, should the KDF get an Escort w/5 Tacs then it can be discussed not before.

That said somethings shouldn't be cross factional. For example, I've messed around w/an old Brel I used to fly using PSW1, the PSWTorp console and 3 purp photonic doffs, PSWTorp charge -> PSW1 -> 12 seconds left on the PSWTorp consoles rechage. I added in VM3 w/2 doffs and AMS. It really is silly the amount of shockwaves I can spam while cloaked (not to mention the other stuff). I know the cat's out of the bag in a lot of ways, but I'd rather not use that as a reason to allow for a free for all.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 432
# 6
01-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Really? The fifth tactical slot is where you draw the line? lol...
__________________________________________
Foundry: Yet Another Borg Mission
It's terrible but easy, and these Borg are way cooler than the mess STO and Voyager left us.
May not actually be "way" cooler or even "slightly" cooler.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 769
# 7
01-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2wsucks View Post
The KDF don't have a 5 Tac console escort like the defient is. Imo, should the KDF get an Escort w/5 Tacs then it can be discussed not before.

That said somethings shouldn't be cross factional. For example, I've messed around w/an old Brel I used to fly using PSW1, the PSWTorp console and 3 purp photonic doffs, PSWTorp charge -> PSW1 -> 12 seconds left on the PSWTorp consoles rechage. I added in VM3 w/2 doffs and AMS. It really is silly the amount of shockwaves I can spam while cloaked (not to mention the other stuff). I know the cat's out of the bag in a lot of ways, but I'd rather not use that as a reason to allow for a free for all.
Your argument is fallacious. The B'rel has an enhanced battle cloak and can do those things while cloaked. This discussion is for giving the Defiant/GalX a normal battle cloak, where you have to manually decloak to do those things.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,465
# 8
01-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcadia View Post
Your argument is fallacious. The B'rel has an enhanced battle cloak and can do those things while cloaked. This discussion is for giving the Defiant/GalX a normal battle cloak, where you have to manually decloak to do those things.
My point was b/c of the EBC it B'rel can apply some things better b/c if the initiative and manuverability of doing them while cloaked than a Fed Sci ship could.

A BC is a core to the hit and run playstyle of the KDF and you want it on an Escort which is better than any Raider the KDF has in terms of Damage potential. The KDF Escorts don't even have a battle cloak.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,465
# 9
01-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehale View Post
Really? The fifth tactical slot is where you draw the line? lol...
It's a starting point. The raptor doesnt' have a BC nor does it have the defiants turn rate. It's bad enough nearly every BOff slot is available to nearly every Fed ship type, every Fed ship type has a varient to use pets, and every Fed ship type has a varient to use cannons and in some cases they can to all of the above. Now people want them to have BC ...
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,764
# 10
01-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehale View Post
I don't really think it's a balance issue anymore. Factional diversity? Look at all the cross faction ships, or even the consoles in lock boxes.

What would Battle Cloak on the only two Federation ships that use it actually hurt at this point?
It would hurt nothing IF those BoPs are given back some of thier handicap for having it, its given to the raptors as well as a 5th Tac console since we would rapidly have battle cloaking, 5 Tac console carrying Fleet defiants running around in the game.

The Gal dreadnought does not need BC if the OPs cloaking idea was ingame and just giving a BC to the defiant without shoring up BoPs and Raptors as well would just be a further imbalance added to an already poorly balanced game.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:42 PM.