Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,970
# 21
01-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewi View Post
Unless they fix FAW, Beams should remain exactly how they are.
Hm, why? I mean, it is not as if the AOE power would, in any case, make beams all that much more useful... regardless of whether they include weapon modifiers or not. Sure, you can get rid of spam better and get every NPC's attention. Hurrah.


Honestly, I am beginning to think that the whole weapon power drain mechanic is not a good idea in the first place. It may be worth considering to remove power drain completely, and change the engineer's Nadeon Inversion to a general "+25% bonus to all energy weapons" or something like it (and don't take that number to serious, it's just an example; obviously it should be balanced so that it does essentially give a bonus similar to the one it gives now on an 8-beam weapon ship).

Because without power drain, weapon damage is much easier to compute and thus, to balance.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,192
# 22
01-27-2013, 11:13 PM
With a rather unconvential aproach of mine...

Cut the +dmg boost of tactical consoles to half, on both energy type and beam/cannon consoles.

Improve the tactical +beam dmg consoles so that they also grant +weapon energy resistance
Improve the tactical +cannon dmg consoles so that they also grant +weapon energy resistance

  • That should lower the gap between 2 console ships and 5 console ships as well as between low dmg weapons / high dmg weapons.
  • It would make 2 types of useless consoles useable
  • People would have the opportunity to either go for max dmg, or max efficiency

Would need to tweak the heals tho.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 765
# 23
01-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Honestly, I am beginning to think that the whole weapon power drain mechanic is not a good idea in the first place. It may be worth considering to remove power drain completely, and change the engineer's Nadeon Inversion to a general "+25% bonus to all energy weapons" or something like it (and don't take that number to serious, it's just an example; obviously it should be balanced so that it does essentially give a bonus similar to the one it gives now on an 8-beam weapon ship).

Because without power drain, weapon damage is much easier to compute and thus, to balance.
That is an interesting line of thought and it certainly would simplify an number of things. Not exactly an minor overhaul though.
Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 314
# 24
01-28-2013, 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
That is an interesting line of thought and it certainly would simplify an number of things. Not exactly an minor overhaul though.
erm.
repalce all weapon drain stats with 0 on tribble. test.




Here is another proposition:

We just copy the tripple damned DHC's.

Reduce the cycle time and number of pulses in BA's to match DHC energy consumption patterns. Adjust the damage stat so that it (for now) matches the current end dps of the array.

Put on tribble. Test.

Or better: Just make it ONE pulse every 4 seconds, and have that pulse carry the damage from a current full cycle.

Slow hammerblows, steady, unyielding. wham .wham. wham. wham. like a hamemr striking the iron (and constant pressure damage is what all escort captains want cruisers to do, this would be it. The base end dps is nominally the same, naturally the power drain issue will go away and we can have a more detailed look at the damage and if it needs further down or up scaling) Has the nice side effect of doing away with the disco beam spacecombat.

Last edited by reynoldsxd; 01-28-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,697
# 25
01-28-2013, 03:46 AM
How about we make all consoles have diminishing returns. This includes the tacticals and field generators. Wouldn't that even the playing field? 5 and 4 tac console escorts would not be in so much of another league DPS wise from 3 and 2 tac console cruisers and SVs. The DHCs still give them an advantage in terms of damage and power drain, but things are more equal than they were before. High sci slot ships also suffer because of the field gens being effected. Armour consoles already have diminishing returns.
Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 314
# 26
01-28-2013, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybacon90 View Post
How about we make all consoles have diminishing returns. This includes the tacticals and field generators. Wouldn't that even the playing field? 5 and 4 tac console escorts would not be in so much of another league DPS wise from 3 and 2 tac console cruisers and SVs. The DHCs still give them an advantage in terms of damage and power drain, but things are more equal than they were before. High sci slot ships also suffer because of the field gens being effected. Armour consoles already have diminishing returns.
You want to fix the broken beam power drain by adjusting something that has absolutely nothing to do with it?

If you nerf the consoles as you want, you will lower the damage of everyone in the game, resulting in even weaker cruisers and scis while escorts still reign supreme due to the fact that their guns arent fundamentally ill conceived.



+ the overall goal is to make Beam arrays useful, not to nerf escorts (if anything we should use the escort as a baseline to place the other ships)

This is a thread about the BA's Self crippling way of function.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,697
# 27
01-28-2013, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoldsxd View Post
This is a thread about the BA's Self crippling way of function.
I am perfectly aware of that and you don't need to adopt a patronizing tone. I was offering an alternative to the usual "nerf BA power drain", which has been floating around for so long without any dev interest that it is clear nothing will be done about it.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,462
# 28
01-28-2013, 05:06 AM
I have to wonder if the reason that Cryptic has no interest in looking at weapons, bluntly, because most players are terrible. If their stats say that dual cannons and beam arrays do approximately similar damage, thanks to a majority of players simply not knowing that they have to crank their weapon power to maximum and stay on target, then they won't change anything. The difference between a poorly captained beam boat and a poorly captained cannons boat probably isn't that great. Where the situation becomes completely laughable is when skilled players invest weeks into fine tuning their ship, and the cannon loadouts completely pulverize every other alternative.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 197
# 29
01-28-2013, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
I have to wonder if the reason that Cryptic has no interest in looking at weapons, bluntly, because most players are terrible.
this.

and im guessing most here dont PvP, oh we love a good hullheallin never-say-die cruiser. The most intelligent captains can dish out secondary dps too. mmmmhmmm...
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 30
01-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Yeah... this is slightly confusing. It's only recently that these "change (not buff mind you) beam mechanics" threads have really started a resurgence, but after reading a lot of them and a lot of older ones, it does make me wonder... Because at this point, we not only have our usual "buff cruiser" crowd saying this, but now we got what I know are dedicated escort pilots commenting that there is something wrong here.

And since BAs have been derped so hard and so many people have been either asking for a drain reduction or damage return, one does have to wonder if the devs really even care at this point.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:08 PM.