Captain
# 1 Ship re-sizing request
01-27-2013, 03:20 AM
Hi all,

I hope that the devs read this.

Please could you reconsider the relative size of ships and make them feel somewhat more in line with what they are?

Now I know we cannot match it closely but I think that in terms of STO all ship classes appear pretty much the same size.

I believe that it would add significant favor and immersion if ships appeared as:

Size comparison 1

Size Comparison 2

Your ship design are fantastic, they just need to be a little more realistic
Captain
# 2
01-27-2013, 03:29 AM
If you think most ship classes are the same size, that's more to do with your perception and far less to do with the actual ship sizes. For the most part (excluding shuttles), ships are the right size compared to each other. You'll notice the size difference in a big way if you're flying a carrier or dreadnought and park it next to a Galaxy class or even an Odyssey.
Captain
# 3
01-27-2013, 07:27 AM
True but it still lacks a sense of majesty, for no better word.

If you look at this, and then compare the rough estimate of the Defiant with the Galaxy, you will see the huge deference in length and height of these ships placed next to each other.

I just don't get that feeling of awesomeness when I see a Defiant next to a ship the size of the Galaxy.

Some more: 1, 2, 3, 4

I know its a pipe dream but I have always seen Star Trek ships in a grander scale, that's all.

Last edited by drkfrontiers; 01-27-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-27-2013, 07:41 AM
I request a size change of all raider class Bird of Preys. They are to large for their agility. The Heghta or the HoSuS are both as large as a medium sized federation cruiser. They should be in the same level as the defaint.

There are Bird of Preys in canon that are larger (e.g. K'vort). However, these ships are classifed as battle cruisers or raptors than raiders.
Commander
# 5
01-27-2013, 08:15 AM
Your perception is wrong. That is all.
Fly directly next to another ship and zoom out.

Ships are roughly the right size 90% of the time.

He's dead, Jim.
Captain
# 6
01-27-2013, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolimpicard View Post
Your perception is wrong. That is all.
Fly directly next to another ship and zoom out.

Ships are roughly the right size 90% of the time.
Take a defiant and try and position it underneath the Galaxy tail. I only had the Dreadnought available but they are very similar.

1, 2, 3

(Note: Defiant +- 122m vs. Jem'Hadar Dreadnought +- 4500 m. I know we can't have the ratio in the game, but currently its just not realistic.)

The Jem'Hadar Dreadnought a wee bit - bigger. It should be at least twice the size of the Caitian Carrier, and that's still minuscule.

The defiant should be half in size.

Sorry for the rough rendering, but this is how I see it should be for example.

Last edited by drkfrontiers; 01-28-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Lieutenant
# 7
01-27-2013, 09:05 AM
After looking at the ship chart yea I will agree that the dominion dreadnought is smaller than should be,heck its pretty much the size of the regents flagship(which would be funny if the devs put that in a lockbox as a mirror bortas or neghvar :p )
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by mastergenera1; 01-27-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Captain
# 8
01-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergenera1 View Post
After looking at the ship chart yea I will agree that the dominion dreadnought is smaller than should be,heck its pretty much the size of the regents flagship(which would be funny if the devs put that in as a mirror bortas or neghvar :p )
There are some sweet designs and species to explore
Lieutenant
# 9
01-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers View Post
There are some sweet designs and species to explore
oh I own the dread just didn't think it was soo big lol
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson
Rihannsu
# 10
01-27-2013, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergenera1 View Post
After looking at the ship chart yea I will agree that the dominion dreadnought is smaller than should be,heck its pretty much the size of the regents flagship(which would be funny if the devs put that in a lockbox as a mirror bortas or neghvar :p )
The one is STO is fairly close (its about 10% smaller I would say) to the one in the DS9 Episode Valiant (I was teamed with a fleet mate in a Defiant last night so we saw both ships close together a lot).

The 5km long Dreadnought on those images comes from some sloppy scaling from the DS9 finale. At that size it would be longer than the standard Borg cube!
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.