Commander
# 11
01-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers View Post
.. snip ..
From looking at the size chart and your screenshot the Defiant is roughly the right size in comparison to a Galaxy (about the size of the upper roof of the engineering section behind where the saucers neck meets with the lower hull in a Galaxy).

The Jem'Hadar Dreadnought is too small, yes, it would be even bigger than a Vo'Quv - so I understand that.

He's dead, Jim.
Lieutenant
# 12
01-28-2013, 06:23 AM
In game, I parked my Ody over a JH Dreadnaught and I found that they pretty much have same length (JH Dreadnaught is 1 mm longer on my screen) but the the Dreadnaught is over twice the width of Ody. I don't know the exact size comparison of Ody and JH Dreadnaught, but from its name, I was expecting JH Dreadnaught to be 1.5 longer than Ody. Overall, I thought JH Dreadnaught would be significantly bigger than Ody, but I still like the design of both Ody and Dreadnaught.

Last edited by mariothebros; 01-28-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Commander
# 13
01-28-2013, 07:15 AM
I too would like proper ship scaling, the dreadnought definitely needs to look it's proper size, and Cubes and spheres need to be bigger, I regularly fly face to face with spheres in my BoP, and other ships, spheres are way too small and so are cubes. Really want them to address this.
Ensign
# 14 ship size.
01-28-2013, 07:26 AM
I love STO so i dont want anyone to get the idea im bashing here. If you take a look at like the Atrox carrier, i put it next to my friends long range science ship and they were just about the same size. If you look at the atrox, its got about 40 more decks than the sci ship....(a guess but you get the idea). There have been space games with customizable ships, like STO were the ship size was far more comparable, and some of those ships were freaking huge, pretty awesome. however, that was more the "space flight" game, and, to be honest, still pay to play. so, we can complain to much, if our ships dont really match up, on a free to play game. Having said THAT, as much as i pay per month on the foolishness i desire in STO, it feels more a pay to play, or at least pay to get what i want game..) and from THAT standpoint, i would love more realistic size ships. however, id love it more if some bugs were fixed, like hitting my guns and having them actually FIRE....oh well, still i love STO..)
Cryptic Studios Team
# 15
01-28-2013, 10:45 AM
As stated by others, shuttles are bigger than they should be next to most ships, but most ships are roughly in line with each other, and most shuttles are the same.

Here are the actual models, side by side, in an orthographic view in 3d Studio Max.
We model in feet, and at a much smaller scale for space, so I had to do some conversion math, but it should be pretty close.

The Defiant was shown in vastly different scales at different points in the show, so there is really more of a range for it's length than an actual number. Your 122m for the Defiant is on the small side of that range. Generally it's somewhere between 120m and 170m. We're at that upper end, but still well within the loose canonical size for the ship.

Hope that helps.
Only YOU can prevent forum fires!

Captain
# 16
01-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
As stated by others, shuttles are bigger than they should be next to most ships, but most ships are roughly in line with each other, and most shuttles are the same.

Here are the actual models, side by side, in an orthographic view in 3d Studio Max.
We model in feet, and at a much smaller scale for space, so I had to do some conversion math, but it should be pretty close.

The Defiant was shown in vastly different scales at different points in the show, so there is really more of a range for it's length than an actual number. Your 122m for the Defiant is on the small side of that range. Generally it's somewhere between 120m and 170m. We're at that upper end, but still well within the loose canonical size for the ship.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Tacofangs. Can't argue with reason. I appreciate you taking time to demonstrate some of your magic!

All the teams designs are spectacular, getting better with each release.

Didn't mean to sound like I was ungrateful, which I am not in the least.

On a personal note, it means the world to me to see such a positive dev presence lately on the forums.

I have certainly missed hearing from you all. Please pass that along.

Last edited by drkfrontiers; 01-28-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Captain
# 17
01-28-2013, 11:41 AM
There was a thread a while back where someone had a chart to compare ship sizes and such. The chart confirmed exactly what Tacofangs says, that the ships are in line with each other, and the shuttles are in line with each other, but the shuttles are a bit larger than they should be so that people can see them.

Additionally, if you look at ships whose canon sizes are definitively known, they're pretty spot on. When I did my ship's MSD, I used, as I recall, Intrepid, Sovereign, and Excelsior class ships to compare mine to, and they were all within a few pixels of their official size on the screenshots.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 18
01-28-2013, 02:22 PM
I mean, when it comes down to building these ships, making them the proper* size is the easiest part of it. Getting the shapes and materials right is much more difficult/time consuming. So there's no reason not to when that size is known.

*Proper size for those ships what we know what proper size is.

ETA: the only reason we ever vary the size of something, is for the sake of gameplay. (i.e. shuttles being bigger, so you can actually see them, etc.)
Only YOU can prevent forum fires!

Career Officer
# 19
01-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Quote:
I mean, when it comes down to building these ships, making them the proper* size is the easiest part of it. Getting the shapes and materials right is much more difficult/time consuming. So there's no reason not to when that size is known.

Heya Taco - allow me to be of assistance:

In the DS9 episode "Valiant", they cearly stated that the Jem Hadar Dreadnaught was "Twice The Size of a Galaxy Class Cruiser" - so is there a way you could make it closer to that? That should be pretty easy, right?

Last edited by badname834854; 01-28-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 20
01-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Quote:

ETA: the only reason we ever vary the size of something, is for the sake of gameplay. (i.e. shuttles being bigger, so you can actually see them, etc.)
and the dominion dreads being so huge it was simply unworkable in game i imagine.

theres also 2 versions that were seen, in orbit of cardasia at the very end there were impossibly huge ones, but the 1 the valiant faced was much smaller. like 4500m v 1500m
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus