Captain
So, new lockbox and new ships. They come hand in hand. Representing rather steep investments in resources to acquire, unique and powerful, there's just one small problem.

Bound. To. Character.

Much of the most "expensive" content is tied to single characters, which forces people who want to participate to choose only one character to participate with. I like the looks of the new dreadnaught carrier, but the question.... What character should get it? I have 3 characters I play heavily so that's 2 chances to regret my decision. Plus, what if I ever wanted to add more characters?

Lockbox ships and lobi ships are far far more expensive than any Z-store ship, and yet, you functionally get a lot less for your money. Z-store ships can be used by any character you have without restriction. You can discard them, bring them back, it doesn't matter. Once you buy the ship it's yours. Lockbox ships? Forget it. You spend more, to get a ship that can only be used by a single character, and can never be retrieved if discarded. Why? Surely lockbox type ships should be cheaper, since you are effectively buying one single copy of one single ship, while buying things from Z-store comes with a service agreement of sorts.

I don't get it.

It's frustrating and depressing and tempers my enthusiasm for gaining new ships.

And I'm not alone in this either. My fleet leader has boxed ships that he's had for months, paralyzed by indecision about which of his characters the ships should be irrevocably bound to.

All of this goes for fleet ships, as well. Fleet ships cost more than Z-store ships once you account for the oceans of material that goes into upgrading your shipyard, and yet they are also bound to a single character and cannot be retrieved.

I thought at first that the character bound ships was to limit the proliferation of ships that don't actually belong to the Federation or the KDF, a line of reasoning often put forward, but this immediately fails when you consider that fleet ships which are by definition "faction correct" are also penalized in the same way.

One might be tempted to think that this is a crass and transparent attempt by Cryptic to squeeze more cash out of the players. Character-bound ships across multiple characters requires multiple purchases. But that also breaks down when you consider that recent Z-store offerings like the Vesta offer the same very high level of performance that the lockbox and fleet ships do. You don't NEED a lockbox or fleet ship as opposed to Z-store ships that do their jobs perfectly well, nor is there even a strong drive to WANT one, from a performance standpoint. So it's a master of taste and style, and not necessarily "pay to win". It's just.... pay to pay?

I just don't get it. I don't understand Cryptic's strategy. All I can see is my options being limited by insanely high resource costs for no apparent reason. I wish we could have a nice civil conversation about this with people that matter.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-27-2013, 05:26 AM
I dont understand people not yet getting Cyptics/PW game plan....they have been doing it from the very first day the game went F2P.........max profit, min effort....i mean there comes a time when even the most enthusiastic lockbox fan must notice this....but its not as if they hide their release schedule.

Lockbox, lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,Lockbox,lockbox,lo ckbox,lockbox,lockbox,grind update,Lockbox, lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,Lockbox,lockbox,lo ckbox,lockbox,lockbox. lol

And if the majority of the present STO player base are happy buying the keys and PW/Cryptic are making tons of cash from them, then why should they alter that course, or not refine the lockbox thing to get even more profit from willing buyers.......and i doubt that will change now at this stage......the game will simply continue along on lockboxes now until the player base gets so low that lockbox sales no longer make a profit for PW.......then the dead horse will stop twitching at last.

Last edited by foxfire2000; 01-27-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Rihannsu
# 3
01-27-2013, 06:03 AM
i tend to have an exclusive ship for every toon.

there is only one setup i really like to play in PVP/PVE - so i have 2 toons with almost identical setups.. (for the 8k daily dill on both through PVP)

FEDS:
sci - wells (love the ship)
tac - defiant
engi - constitution enterprise (iconic)

KDF
engi - d'kora (imho the best lockbox ship)
2xsci in b'Rel (the best ship ingame)
sci - Kar'fi
sci - Jem'Hadar Dreadnough Carrier
sci - Tholian Orb Weaver (slightly better than wells)
tac - Scourge
tac - Fleet Somraw Raptor (a very nice fleet ship)
tac - Breen Ship (didn't really test this one)

and i am ok with that looking forward having another 5 Romulan ships on my Romulan toons when they finally release the faction ...

Join the premiere Romulan community now!

Last edited by duaths1; 01-27-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 4
01-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Overally I agree. I could accept a restriction such as "you can claim it on one character at a time on your account" but the current limit is annoying. We can't even discharge it to reclaim it later, which is a shame!

I'm not sure about fleet ships. They are some sort of fleet achievements. But anyway, why not.
Captain
# 5
01-27-2013, 09:50 AM
I understand the lockbox ships being single character, and I can see that with the 200k dilithium fleet ships. But in both cases, it makes sense for them to be an unlock, which you can dismiss and reclaim at will.

The fleet ships that cost 4x modules and thus $20 should be treated exactly like zen bought ships, because they functionally are.
Career Officer
# 6
01-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
So, new lockbox and new ships. They come hand in hand. Representing rather steep investments in resources to acquire, unique and powerful, there's just one small problem.

Bound. To. Character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire2000 View Post
I dont understand people not yet getting Cyptics/PW game plan....they have been doing it from the very first day the game went F2P.........max profit, min effort....i mean there comes a time when even the most enthusiastic lockbox fan must notice this....but its not as if they hide their release schedule.

Lockbox, lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,Lockbox,lockbox,lo ckbox,lockbox,lockbox,grind update,Lockbox, lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,lockbox,Lockbox,lockbox,lo ckbox,lockbox,lockbox. lol

And if the majority of the present STO player base are happy buying the keys and PW/Cryptic are making tons of cash from them, then why should they alter that course, or not refine the lockbox thing to get even more profit from willing buyers.......and i doubt that will change now at this stage......the game will simply continue along on lockboxes now until the player base gets so low that lockbox sales no longer make a profit for PW.......then the dead horse will stop twitching at last.
All quoted for truth. I'm not putting another RL dollar into this scam.

Despite the fact that it supports the game, it's both funny and sad that so many people still put hundreds of dollars into lockboxes after being burned so many times.
Captain
# 7
01-27-2013, 01:47 PM
I agree. It's the same with the costumes. I seriously doubt people buy for more than one character anyway.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI HO, HI HO. OFF DUTY SLOT NEEDS TO GO!

"It's better to ask a dumb question, than to remain an idiot forever."
Career Officer
# 8
01-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekritagent View Post
I'm not putting another RL dollar into this scam.
Technically, it's not a scam, as you know precisly what you are getting into. It's just that people constantly feeding into it isn't going to break the cycle of lockboxes substituting for content updates (although I am guilty of opening boxes for lobi at irregular intervals and selling unwanted stuff).

In regards to darn near everything being bound to character, I've always suspected that Cryptic is counting on those OCD people that must have everything on every one of their toons.

When it comes to one time only stuff like the Breen cruiser, I can't really understand that being bound to character. As it stands I have three extra of those things (I had nothing else better to do but run the race, 5 minutes isn't that much) in the hope that one day the devs will make them account bound, or (to really make my day) letting me put them on the exchange, as I can only see me keeping one of them.

Another one of those wierd design decisions; they should change the title to Restrictions: Online given the amount of stop signs you run into.. I would love to dump my extra dilithium into my one toon that has reached Omega Tier 5 and have him craft for the rest of my toons (you know, like an any other MMO known to man), but again, bound to character.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS

Last edited by lordagamemnonb5; 01-27-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Captain
# 9
01-27-2013, 02:29 PM
+1

I'm like your fleet leader in that I have all the lockbox ships (except the JHAS) still in their original packaging as a collection, but I just can't bring myself to open, bind, and use them. I'd really like to take a shot with a Recluse on a fed engineer, but I just can't justify dropping 80 million ec on one character. If it were account-wide sure, but one toon, just makes me nervous.

As for fleet ships, I'm mixed. I completely splurged on a KDF tac with a Fleet Vorcha with fleet weapons, and it is an absolute monster, but doing that on my other 6 toons just isn't in the cards. Ships where a discount is possible though changes the equation, because then I get the base ship available for everyone, plus the fancy fleet one for only 5 million more. Since everyone gets something out of the buy and its 'only' 5m for the upgrade, its okay. (Unfortunately that completely screws my KDF toons, but thats off-topic.)

If this stuff was account unlock I'd have to buy more ship storage slots. But high-priced single unlocks just feels too much like a full-on ripoff instead of merely self-indulgence.
Career Officer
# 10
01-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Surely if you've gone to the expense to collect all the lockbox ships, you've already gone well past the "good value" exit and leaving them boxed in a bank somewhere is just not a good use of funds. Smart money would be on making a Vorta toon, attaching him to Starfleet (say he's in a trial Officer Exchange program) and equipping the Jem'Hadar stuff. Another interesting one might be making a time traveler toon making use of the timeships.

Anyway I completely agree about the fleet ships (but I likely won't buy Fleet Weapons, I got loads of Borg Mk XII items before the S7 conversion). I would buy a few more of those if they weren't such pricey per-character unlocks.