Ensign
# 1 Better Server
01-21-2013, 02:42 PM
I just have a question for the people incharge of the hardware servers, I notice at certain times of day or on certain day when say the thousands to million of people log on and play, why cant they take a few thousand out the millions of dallors they made to get another server or one that can support so many people, cause this lagg server not respoding is rather anoying and making want to take me and my money else were.
Career Officer
# 2
01-21-2013, 03:35 PM
The fact that thousands of people can play without issue indicates that its not a Server Problem (If it was, it would effect EVERYONE), but a problem with the network connecting to the Server... Even Cryptic/PWE states in their TOS Statement...

Quote:
18. Interruption of Service

(a) PWE reserves the right to interrupt the Service from time to time on a regularly scheduled basis or otherwise with or without prior notice in order to perform maintenance. You agree that PWE will not be liable for any interruption of the Service, delay or failure to perform resulting from any causes whatsoever.
(b) You acknowledge that the Service may be interrupted for reasons beyond the control of PWE, and PWE cannot guarantee that you will be able to access the Services or your Account whenever you may wish to do so. PWE shall not be liable for any interruption of the Services, delay or failure to perform resulting from any causes whatsoever.
(c) PWE has the right at any time with or without reason to change and/or eliminate any aspect(s) of the Services as it sees fit in its sole discretion.
(d) PWE is not be obligated to refund all or any portion of any Account fee (if any), by reason of any interruption of the Services by reason of any of the circumstances described in paragraph (a) or (b).
If you run the Net-Test and Trace Route diagnostics and post the results here, or in the PWE Tech Support Forum, then someone may be able to help you with your problem... http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/...ead.php?t=4181

Last edited by grouchyotaku; 01-21-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Commander
# 3
01-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Lag / connection issues are a sod to track down and can have many different causes.

Having said that, I understand the issue that the OP is talking about. I play a lot with my fleet and we use Teamspeak 3 s we know when we share a network issue. And we are in different continents, soa shared network problem is going to be located close to PWE infrastructure.

STF Lag: seen this and it seems to effect a single player in the match. It's very intermittent and I've often found another cause (windows update downloading, etc). This would be a problem that falls outside the control of PWE. Real server issues where several, if not all of us have been disconnected during the same match have occured, but have been very, very rare.

Unimatrix Rubberbanding: the exception to the above case. if you fly in close to a Unimatrix and strafe along it's length, you will get "Rubberbanding" in the centre. Basically pretending to be Luke attacking the Death Star. Because it is so consistent a problem and not limited to a single player, I would say this is game related in some form. Maybe something's to do with the model. What I do know is that I can pass the centre of a Unimatrix 5 or 6 times in a single pass. And it effect my fleet mates too. In both Borg encounters and Hive Enslaught.

Epohh Lag: We have noticed that sometimes a particular instance of New Romulus is laggy. The delay before the button appears to tag an Epohh, and the delay before the button recognises that you're spamming the F key. Through Teamspeak we are aware that when we get lagging it's effecting everyone in the team. And when we do the next run on an Alt, we make sure we are in a different instance and the problem tend to disappear. It doesn't appear to be related to the number of users in an instance.
The amount of lag is not huge, but when it happens you're likely to come under your 30 tags with a 2 man team. And you should be hitting 40.

Banking Lag: having written the above, it's gotten me thinking about lag when working with the bank. I know it can be bad when in the Academy, a heavily travelled ground instance. I'm now wondering how bad it has been in sector space and / or clusters and nebula. And what about Fleet bases?

Never had any noticeable lag in Winterwonderland.

In summary, lag in STF is usually nothing to do with PWE. Flying tight to a Unimatrix is the exception. Lag in New Romulus seems to be a PWE issue, but it's not huge or large enough to cause Rubberbanding. Lag with the Bank and/ or Exchange I assume is a PWE issue. Will keep an eye on where is worst. Will be spreading my usage out to different locations.
Commander
# 4
01-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneandonlyrecce View Post
Lag / connection issues are a sod to track down and can have many different causes.

Having said that, I understand the issue that the OP is talking about. I play a lot with my fleet and we use Teamspeak 3 s we know when we share a network issue. And we are in different continents, soa shared network problem is going to be located close to PWE infrastructure.

STF Lag: seen this and it seems to effect a single player in the match. It's very intermittent and I've often found another cause (windows update downloading, etc). This would be a problem that falls outside the control of PWE. Real server issues where several, if not all of us have been disconnected during the same match have occured, but have been very, very rare.

Unimatrix Rubberbanding: the exception to the above case. if you fly in close to a Unimatrix and strafe along it's length, you will get "Rubberbanding" in the centre. Basically pretending to be Luke attacking the Death Star. Because it is so consistent a problem and not limited to a single player, I would say this is game related in some form. Maybe something's to do with the model. What I do know is that I can pass the centre of a Unimatrix 5 or 6 times in a single pass. And it effect my fleet mates too. In both Borg encounters and Hive Enslaught.

Epohh Lag: We have noticed that sometimes a particular instance of New Romulus is laggy. The delay before the button appears to tag an Epohh, and the delay before the button recognises that you're spamming the F key. Through Teamspeak we are aware that when we get lagging it's effecting everyone in the team. And when we do the next run on an Alt, we make sure we are in a different instance and the problem tend to disappear. It doesn't appear to be related to the number of users in an instance.
The amount of lag is not huge, but when it happens you're likely to come under your 30 tags with a 2 man team. And you should be hitting 40.

Banking Lag: having written the above, it's gotten me thinking about lag when working with the bank. I know it can be bad when in the Academy, a heavily travelled ground instance. I'm now wondering how bad it has been in sector space and / or clusters and nebula. And what about Fleet bases?

Never had any noticeable lag in Winterwonderland.

In summary, lag in STF is usually nothing to do with PWE. Flying tight to a Unimatrix is the exception. Lag in New Romulus seems to be a PWE issue, but it's not huge or large enough to cause Rubberbanding. Lag with the Bank and/ or Exchange I assume is a PWE issue. Will keep an eye on where is worst. Will be spreading my usage out to different locations.
Nice to see that someone understands the bolded sentence rather than immediately pointing their finger at PWE and saying "I have a super duper expensive PC and a stupidly fast internet connection so it can't be MY problem!!!"
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting
Captain
# 5
01-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewstelamon01 View Post
Nice to see that someone understands the bolded sentence rather than immediately pointing their finger at PWE and saying "I have a super duper expensive PC and a stupidly fast internet connection so it can't be MY problem!!!"
I'm not having this problem with any other MMO, only with STO (which right now should be called SNRO for Server Not Responding Online). You do the math.
Captain
# 6
01-21-2013, 11:31 PM
Federation Starbase Incursion I experience lag most of the time that I play it. Sometimes it gets so bad in the second part that I just stay in the starting room and shoot at any enemies that show up. The second part usually has the most lag issues and I think it is because of all the enemies in the area. It is strange the Big Dig has more enemies but less lag problems then Federation Starbase Incursion. Ground based stuff lag more then space based stuff usually.
Commander
# 7
01-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerstorm View Post
I'm not having this problem with any other MMO, only with STO (which right now should be called SNRO for Server Not Responding Online). You do the math.
Whether you can play Hello Kitty Online (or any other MMO for that matter) has about as much to do with connection issues in STO and how your PC connects to it as the price of tea in China.

Nothing at all.

No math required, either, just the basic understanding that...well, playing another MMO involves a completely different transit path. You don't take the same path to....say....your buddy's house around the corner and your brother's house halfway across the country, do you?

Neither does your network traffic to STO and to RandomFlavorOfTheMonthMMO. So whether you can play 100 other MMOs besides STO still doesn't rule out a transit problem.

In other words, do the network diagnostics, mmkay?
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting
Ensign
# 8 Disconnected Issues!
01-27-2013, 06:09 AM
Well Its a Darn Shame That This is The Best Game On The Net With worst Problems! I have been on Since STO Came Online and The connection Problems are The same now If Not Worse as they were 3 years ago Must be a way To Fix It IF Every Other MMO Online is able to do so and I play 7 Others No Problems ever!ALL I want To do is Play
Commander
# 9
01-27-2013, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
The fact that thousands of people can play without issue indicates that its not a Server Problem (If it was, it would effect EVERYONE)
No.
A MMO "server" isn't a single physical or virtual device; it's a compound network made up of interacting infrastructure components and server racks, with quite a plethora of individual systems, both physical and virtual - like database, frontend, webserver, API, firewall, et cetera - including, of course, the login and game-servers running the game software.

Specific issues with specific regions of the server only cause trouble for specific people in specific situations (like when they try to join a game instance run on a faulty server or the forums are unavailable).

I dare say that most people have these issues at some point, sometimes briefly or in a way that has little impact, when they happen to come across a part of the server having a problem (like a damaged network hub).

I think it's pretty clear to everybody that the part of the server launching new instances, for example, (like STFs or visiting the bridge) is slow sometimes - but by no means at all times.

He's dead, Jim.

Last edited by lolimpicard; 01-27-2013 at 07:43 AM.