Ensign
# 51
01-28-2013, 06:24 AM
Well it looks like they started on maintenance at 7am CST not PST. So, if this is the case will i be able to play at 9 CST? or will it actually last until 9PST which is 11 CST?
really starting 2 hours early?
Ensign
# 52
01-28-2013, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenash3030 View Post
Well it looks like they started on maintenance at 7am CST not PST. So, if this is the case will i be able to play at 9 CST? or will it actually last until 9PST which is 11 CST?
really starting 2 hours early?
Yepper 2 hours early but I guess its a good thing
Career Officer
# 53
01-28-2013, 06:37 AM
The buffs stated in the patch notes seem...inadequate. Borticus planned much more, but I am concerned that the PvPers complained again and made him pull back somewhat...
Career Officer
# 54
01-28-2013, 06:42 AM
No word on giving those unlucky enough to buy the upgrade in the first 24hrs their 50 lobi back then. Altering the stats is one thing but to then alter the normal 'retail' price is a big no no.
Kirk's Protege - 19/11/2012
Kirk's Protege Jr - 30/05/2014
[1/5 5:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 964780 (1581938) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
Republic Veteran
# 55
01-28-2013, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresincebeta View Post
Standing by for the borg mk xii deflector to provide double the aux bonus that the mk xi does...

Oh wait I guess only stats that are buffed by the lobi store get balance passes... *sigh*
If this proves popular enough, expect premium upgrades for the other end-game gear.

Cash talks, and it's the only thing that Cryptic seriously listens to. People buy enough of these upgrades for this set, they'll do the other ones.

I'm not too thrilled with pay-unlock-pay-upgrades but we're in a better position now than we were during the Great Content Drought.

Things that DO NOT generate revenue like the plot missions are bottom priority. Those don't make money, they cost money. Therefore fixing critical-to-function bugs is not a priority until people stop leveling up and endgame revenue drops.
-------------
ISE ISE Ba-bee. "If you got the Borg yo... I'll solve 'em check out this shot while my torpedos dissolve 'em"
Career Officer
# 56
01-28-2013, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsww View Post
The patch notes state it's only the Mk XII set getting a buff. I wonder how many stealth nerfings were in last weeks patch to make this pay to upgrade seem attractive.
The Mk XI set as it stands is next to useless in elite STFs, the Mk XII set added very little. No stealth nerfs were needed as this attractive set was already severly under powered. The listed patch notes don't go as far as Borticus said they would, this may just be a patch note shortcoming, we shall see soon enough.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Starfleet Veteran
# 57
01-28-2013, 06:53 AM
For a further patch note :

**Tell the guy who post the maintenance banner on website to have a look on world clocks first since he's most often wrong, and miss it always by 1 or 2 hours.
Career Officer
# 58
01-28-2013, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Hi Captains,

We will be bringing down Star Trek Online tomorrow, Monday, January 28th, at 7AM PST (click here to view in your timezone) for maintenance and to apply a new patch. Patch notes can be found here, and we expect this maintenance to only last for 2 hours. The test server may also be unavailable during this time.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

- The Star Trek Online Team
Firstly: Why must the servers be brought down for 2 hours for a simple upgrade to the stats of one set? Why can't these updates be compiled and aggregated into one large patch say once per week instead of every other day?

Secondly: Why are we notified only 24 hours ahead of time? What if your bosses told you you will come into work on Saturday morning Friday evening -- would you perceive this as courtesy or disrespect?
Career Officer
# 59
01-28-2013, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlalo View Post
Firstly: Why must the servers be brought down for 2 hours for a simple upgrade to the stats of one set? Why can't these updates be compiled and aggregated into one large patch say once per week instead of every other day?

Secondly: Why are we notified only 24 hours ahead of time? What if your bosses told you you will come into work on Saturday morning Friday evening -- would you perceive this as courtesy or disrespect?
Servers are normally patched every Thursday. Occasionally circumstances dictate having an exceptional patch, this is one such circumstance as paying customers are not happy. It may also be there is no mechanism to refund lobi in place so by patching now a damage limitation excercise is underway. As for the time it takes, personally I don't know why it takes 2 hrs but I suspect taking down a server farm is a bit more complex than restarting your laptop?
Career Officer
# 60
01-28-2013, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Servers are normally patched every Thursday. Occasionally circumstances dictate having an exceptional patch, this is one such circumstance as paying customers are not happy. It may also be there is no mechanism to refund lobi in place so by patching now a damage limitation excercise is underway. As for the time it takes, personally I don't know why it takes 2 hrs but I suspect taking down a server farm is a bit more complex than restarting your laptop?
I've worked in server farms before. They utilize start scripts but the part that takes the most time is verifying the integrity of the database which only takes 10mins on a 20GB database.

That is beside the point, and I see what you are saying -- this is an "emergency" patch. As such I would believe to minimize the inflamed customers storming off they should at least offer to include what they have tested so far of Thursday's patch into this one and not patch again until the next Thursday.

I can understand a weekly patch -- I actually appreciate it. But I don't appreciate making plans in game to have it squashed by a patch that no one knew about until the day before -- especially to (as the patch notes said) to simply upgrade the stats on a single ship equipment set. It just seems a bit ridiculous to take the server down for 2 hours to do that....

In my time working in data centers (or server farms) when you take down a farm like they're doing, you push as much tested patch material as possible that QA will allow for because of the overhead for each patch (taking down the system, patching the clients and pushing that update, bringing up the system, testing the system, etc). Again reserving a patch for one fix/stat-update just isn't efficient use of patch time.

Last edited by lordlalo; 01-28-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Closed Thread