Lieutenant
I have come to the conclusion that Cryptic are not fans of The Next Generation because at every turn they have basically placated the Galaxy Class, even the Fleet Version is appalling compared to the ludicrous upgrades that the Defiant gets (5 Tactical Console Slots... Really!?)...

I am trying to get to the bottom as to why Cryptic continually hate on the Galaxy Class. It seems as if they only put it in the game to give a "Star Trek Feeling" but have put no effort into the Galaxies design or set up.

First off, why on Earth does an Excelsior and Fleet Excelsior (4 Tactical Console Slots btw and 1 Lieutenant Commander Console) complete outpower a Galaxy when the Galaxy is a newer and more tactically powerful ship!

The Galaxy Class in the game is COMPLETELY disappointing compared to its on screen counter part. Thats all well and good but you had a chance to change that and what do you do... PUT ANOTHER ENGINEERING CONSOLE ON IT!

It doesn't need that! What it needs is Tactical Power and not to be completely useless next to the Odyssey, a ship which you try to force most cruiser captains to use... I want more love for the Galaxy Class and less biased towards the Odyssey... Make the Galaxy Class a viable ship!

I have come to the conclusion that Cryptic know absolutely nothing about Star Trek and we'd be better off with the actual Star Trek fans producing this game because at least they could get the ships actually right to begin with.
Republic Veteran
# 2
01-28-2013, 07:21 AM
I have the view that there is no real beef with the Galaxy, it is an inherent problem in the game. The Galaxy derivatives are eng-heavy ships, which would be nice if an abundance of eng console and boff slots were as desirable as an abundance of tac or sci slots. But they are not, and the Galaxy is the unfortunate, perhaps somewhat unintentional victim of this flaw.
Lieutenant
# 3
01-28-2013, 07:25 AM
They had the chance to improve it and make it a viable ship when Fleet Ships went live. They could have added a tactical console and a Lieutenant Commander Tactical Slot and that should have been fine. But because the Galaxy is an actual starship that they did not design, they constantly bash it and try to make people buy the Odyssey instead.

This is Star Trek, I do not want to fly a ship that some child made up in his basement, I want to fly a Galaxy Class and have it be as powerful as it should be, just under the Sovereign in attack power and versatility.
Captain
# 4
01-28-2013, 07:27 AM
I have a galaxy on my fed alt and it brings plenty of pain why wouldn't you want 5 en consoles massive resists are key to absorbing damage

Ofc the defiant gets 5 tac consoles its a damage dealer

The bortasqu isn't the best ship out there but I know many captains that can bring the rain in pvp and pve

Sounds to me like you've given up on the ship without trying harder to work round it's 6 turn rate which is about the only slight weakness I found with my ship

See that's where cryptic help out fed side characters there called beams amazing things have much more arc than cannons and work in perfect harmony with fruisers
----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====----
Ensign
# 5
01-28-2013, 07:28 AM
If they add a tactical console why then would anyone get the Galaxy over the Excelsior or Assault cruiser?

Way I see it the Galaxy is not meant to be a ship that does a lot of damage and has offensive skills like the two aforementioned cruisers. I think it's meant to be sort of a healer big old tank that's hard to kill. At least that's how I run mine and it is mighty tough to kill. Most hull of any cruiser on the FED side, it's supposed to be a tank!
Commander
# 6
01-28-2013, 07:30 AM
I still like how they have the old, broken Galaxy used in the background in the upper right corner of this screen. I mean, why not use the fruit of their labour, when they went to all the trouble to fix it after the fans complained?

Anyway, the Feds needed a 5-engineering-console fleet ship; the KDF has the Negh'Var, and they wanted to give the Feds a counterpart to it. I can't think of a better ship for pure engineering capabilities than the Galaxy.

I'm not saying the Galaxy doesn't need some offensive help...just that I can see why they went with it for the tanky fleet ship.

That said, I fail to see why there can't be two different Fleet upgrades for the same ship...
Lieutenant
# 7
01-28-2013, 07:44 AM
All valid points but that is some other ship, not the Galaxy, the Galaxy is effectively a battleship and an old flagship of the Federation, during the Dominion war, they could dish out devastating damage so again Cryptic tries to rewrite Star Trek lore.

The Galaxy is NOT a tank, anymore then the Intrepid is NOT a Science Vessel

Last edited by warbird1988; 01-28-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Captain
# 8
01-28-2013, 07:49 AM
My main beef with it is that is turns like a roast beef.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Commander
# 9
01-28-2013, 07:58 AM
The point is if Cryptic has not fracked up eng offensive powers and beams together, then Galaxy would be pretty powerfull ship with good beams and double DEM (3/2) plus mighty tankage and some additional bonuses from eng tree like power management and damage mitigation.

If it makes you happier, Assault Cruiser (the standard one) is not that much better

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek

Last edited by bluegeek; 01-28-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-28-2013, 08:04 AM
I know the Galaxy doesn't have the offensive power of the ship form TNG but in this game it is a Tank and a damn fine one at that. That said, Tanks are all but useless in PVP and I do wish that the Galaxy had a bit more Offensive might.
Closed Thread