Captain
I honestly do miss the early game content. You have less abilities so there's less buttons to push, there's fewer weapon slots so your ships is spewing less crap, ship fights tend to be one on one, it's easier to see, easier to fight, and feels much more like Star Trek.

So... what happened?

Why is endgame so twitch based, with the entire point of combat spewing out curtains of fire into hundreds of enemies?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Community Moderator
# 2
01-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Because the alternative is the only advancement you make is "I do more damage, and they have more hit points".
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Career Officer
# 3
01-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I honestly do miss the early game content. You have less abilities so there's less buttons to push, there's fewer weapon slots so your ships is spewing less crap, ship fights tend to be one on one, it's easier to see, easier to fight, and feels much more like Star Trek.

So... what happened?

Why is endgame so twitch based, with the entire point of combat spewing out curtains of fire into hundreds of enemies?
I agree, even 2 years ago I felt the same that Endgame just didn't have the Star Trek Feel like you did while at Tier 1 and 2. Especially in PvP, where you had time to think than react.

But STO Endgame, it's more like you vs an entire alien armada with them blowing up as soon as you look at them.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!
Career Officer
# 4
01-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Not really. You can just employ better tactics. Or bring friends (easier to employ more advanced tactics when it's 2v2 rather than just 1v1) if the game will let you.

But we won't see that much, for the same reason the game uses 2.5D (pizza box 3D). It's what suits the most players. For most of us, when we meet a stumbling block and our hammer can't beat it into submission, we'd just reach for a bigger hammer instead of just walking around it. Or level up, get a 'better' ship or equip better weapons... get the picture?

If there was a mission in which a player is given the option to negotiate or fight, but the fight option' is exceedingly tough... you know a lot of players will just report the mission as broken. Or give a 1* to the author of the foundry mission.

Proof? Search the forums and compare the number of threads complaining that the 'mobs' are too tough versus threads where players are complaining that mobs are too 'dumb'.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
01-20-2013, 07:40 PM
I think that we are all just too accustomed to the same boring AI.

I'd love to encounter some enemies that move out of range to recharge shield. Also, use ramming speed, or abandon ship, and call for random reinforcements.
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Captain
# 6
01-20-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm inclined to agree. I've had more endgame PVP matches where I just can't follow what's going on than I care to count. Between my powers and cool downs, buffs and debuffs on enemies, the status of my team, and all the spam filling space around me, my attention gets split too many ways and I've not got much left over for what I'm actually doing. I have no idea who I'm shooting at half the time.

I've always thought combat hit the sweet spot around T3; it's all downhill after that.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Empire Veteran
# 7
01-20-2013, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr View Post
I think that we are all just too accustomed to the same boring AI.

I'd love to encounter some enemies that move out of range to recharge shield. Also, use ramming speed, or abandon ship, and call for random reinforcements.
PvP. 'Nuff said.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
01-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty8mac View Post
PvP. 'Nuff said.
PvP does not get you all the shinies :p and I get no enjoyment out of it
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Rihannsu
# 9
01-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Wouldn't it be great if you could set a switch to stop levellling at some point, and re-start whenever you like?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Wouldn't it be great if you could set a switch to stop levellling at some point, and re-start whenever you like?
'Twinking' works on some MMO's where when you die you lose some XP, so you can in effect keep 'suiciding' over and over as needed to stay at your current level. Don't think this would work in STO though.
____

The o3 - Killed you good