Captain
# 31
01-29-2013, 06:43 AM
So...basically, the suggestion is a form of harassment? Because, basically that is what the suggestion is - harassment. Which...well, is not "legal"...

Personally, I'd enjoy a space combat mission that actually required 15 minutes or more of combat as hippiejon said. Something that was actually a challenge - something that tested me - something exciting. I want to be Kirk yelling at my screen as I get so engrossed in the fight...

...haven't found that in the Foundry.

It's even worse out of the Foundry. Heck, in Tau Dewa - can complete the Tau Dewa in less than 15 minutes by doing 5x one of the Patrols...where it only takes 2-3 minutes to kill the 5 waves in that Patrol. 2-3 minutes to kill 5 waves? That's ridiculous. Okay, on my lesser geared toons it might take ~5 minutes to kill 5 waves. They're only going to get better geared and will be right back at that 2-3 minutes if not faster.

I don't want a mission with 2-3 minutes of fighting and near 15 minutes of my thumb up my...for a Foundry mission.

And I don't want it to be "25" waves of mobs that pose no threat either...

20-30+ minutes of chair bouncing combat madness where I'm lost in a trance with fingers flying, camera spinning to take in what's going on around me, and not remembering exactly what happened...but feeling satiated, satisfied, and needing a smoke...yeah, that's what I want.

But still, back to the original suggestion...imho...that's harassment.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Survivor of Romulus
# 32
01-29-2013, 06:43 AM
I think I might be one of those "elitist" authors you refer to.

However, in my opinion, what the OP is suggesting would be griefing, and that's not good under any circumstances. Don't go around sabotaging missions, it's juvenile. I had made a suggestion to take action against exploit missions in the other thread, but it was not to take action against the authors of said missions, but rather to alert Cryptic to the situation and let them fix it since it's their game. Nobody did that really, but they're alerted anyway and now they're actively looking at timid creature.

For myself I have no problem with "Grinders" - the kind where the mobs fight back. It's a playstyle I don't enjoy, but that doesn't make it evil.

I just want a better UI and for Cryptic to take an active hand in quashing exploits.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Career Officer
# 33
01-29-2013, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepastnow View Post
If they really offended you, you'd burn through their missions as quickly as possible and leave them bad reviews.
Why would I want to do that? Deliberately trying to sabotage someone's mission would just be petty and wouldn't solve anything.

As I already said, most Foundry authors are great people who make fantastic missions. However, there is a small selection of authors who seem to think only missions they deem worthy should be allowed to exist.

I believe there is room in the Foundry for all types of missions and people should be allowed to play whichever type they choose.
Career Officer
# 34
01-29-2013, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
...For myself I have no problem with "Grinders" - the kind where the mobs fight back. It's a playstyle I don't enjoy, but that doesn't make it evil....
I comment on this only in a non-flaming constructive manner and only to maybe help people understand what I and I think a lot of the players feel.

It seems that a few of the Foundry authors are treating the Foundry as if it is their own personal country club where they set the rules and decide what is acceptable. If someone makes a mission that doesn't meet what those few authors feel constitutes an acceptable mission, it is to be flamed and thrown out with the trash.

You mention you don't have a problem with grinders where the ships move. That's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, I and many others are fine with the missions where the ships do not move. Our opinion is just as valid as yours is.

I've mentioned already that I would support a tab where the in-depth well-constructed missions are located so they don't get lost in the grinders.

Just my two cents.

Porthos is not amused.
Career Officer
# 35
01-29-2013, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboholic View Post
...As I already said, most Foundry authors are great people who make fantastic missions. However, there is a small selection of authors who seem to think only missions they deem worthy should be allowed to exist.

I believe there is room in the Foundry for all types of missions and people should be allowed to play whichever type they choose.
Well said.

Porthos is not amused.
Career Officer
# 36
01-29-2013, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khayuung View Post
Clear them as fast as you can, as often as you can. Rate them as low as possible.
You're a little late to the party. All those who think they are the "Guardians of the Foundry" have already gone on a 1 star spree. And there are already plenty of people taking advantage of combat missions that don't have designs in place to ensure the mission remains within the guidelines.
Survivor of Romulus
# 37
01-29-2013, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindisbaddesign View Post
You're a little late to the party. All those who think they are the "Guardians of the Foundry" have already gone on a 1 star spree. And there are already plenty of people taking advantage of combat missions that don't have designs in place to ensure the mission remains within the guidelines.
You have evidence of this?
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Captain
# 38
01-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khayuung View Post
*snip*
How 'bout you play the way you'd like, and I'll decide what missions are worth my time, OK? OK.

You high-and-mighty Foundry authors need to get over yourselves. You are not entitled to any amount of attention from the player base, and you will never manipulate everyone into giving your epic work of literary genius a fair chance. Put simply, nobody else cares, they will do what they want, nobody needs you to "police" their choice of mission, and your opinion of someone else's playing habits is irrelevant.

Last edited by hanover2; 01-29-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 39
01-29-2013, 08:05 AM
That's what my fleetmates and I already do. We get in farming missions in groups and get it done in 7-8 minutes in space and 3-4 on ground, at most. We've already pushed some missions out of the IOR by the way. Since then those missions died and i'm not mourning for them; they weren't even funny combat missions. It's just incidental though, because the primary goal is to get fleetmarks as quicly as possible without killing good story missions by skipping all dialogs.

We're not "sabotaging" anything, just taking advantage of too easy grinding missions. Most of the times these things are too easy and it's easy to farm them efficiently. Any group under captain 03+Cmdr01 will be easy kills for well organized groups with endgame gear.

Last edited by diogene0; 01-29-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Rihannsu
# 40
01-29-2013, 08:18 AM
Well, that destroyed most of the respect I had for the OP.

I would like someone to explain to me exactly how the foundry missions can be an exploit. What part of the rules does the grinder violate? A direct quote please. Show me that and I will respect your position. Though I will still wonder why you didn't report it to Cryptic instead of this.

If you are upset that you think no one plays your missions because they are buried under grinders, I can respect that, but an answer would be to have Cryptic get a better search tool, or maybe for you to make a thread, have a mod sticky it, and on that thread keep the list of "good story missions." Subject to taste of course, but it would be something.
Joined September 2011
Nouveau riche LTS member
Closed Thread