Lt. Commander
# 81
01-30-2013, 12:26 AM
I haven't played this game in awhile, and I only just now discovered my first "foundry grind" mission. I don't see what the big deal is because foundry loot drops are capped. Hell, the drops were cut off completely before I even finished the mission. :O

So basically:

1) Purposely downrating someone's mission because you don't agree with the philosophy behind it is a form of griefing. If you don't like grind missions, don't play them. Also take solace in the fact that Cryptic already has preventative measures in place to limit how much you can grind using the foundry. (Hint: It's less than a full mission, and I'm betting the cap doesn't reset for awhile)

2) The Azure Nebula 5-man is pretty much the next best thing, so if you're against loot-grind missions, and yet you've ever queued for that to get quick loot, then...well shame on you.

Most of my characters suck | I suck at Twitter, too!
Career Officer
# 82
01-30-2013, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbane View Post
So I have a story mission that's in the 20-30minute range. This change would screw me (and anyone else with a shorter story mission) over.
Unfortunately, nothing is perfect. But you could add another 10 minutes to your mission to bump it out of the short mission category. I understand that might suck, but the reality is this "fix" can be put in without needing to code any new features. It's something we could conceivably see in weeks, rather than months. The fact is I simply can't think of a better short term solution.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Career Officer
# 83
01-30-2013, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
Best way is to add meta tag functionality to the editor, add our tags and have some check boxes for types and then republish.

Those that don't won't be searchable which kinda helps for filtering out the dead weight anyways.
Tags is something that would require entire new systems to be coded. It's not something we'll be seeing any time soon. I agree it may be a better solution, but do we want to deal with grinders dominating the top rated list for the next 6 months?

I'd rather have a quick, but imperfect, fix that can be delivered in the short term.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Rihannsu
# 84
01-30-2013, 03:45 AM
I think there are a couple of issues.

grind missions themselves are ok. they might be boring to some but they serve a purpose and dont really break the rules. they might not be in the spirit of what the foundry was designed for but if you are having fun then what does it matter? you cant force people to play story missions if they dont want to. leave the story missions for people that want to play them.

missions that focus on exploits and trying to game the system are not ok. there are some that you can basically go AFK on and still win. if its come to the point where you log in, select the mission then leave your keyboard for 15 minutes, come back and profit then really something is up with that. report them to cryptic and let them decide what to do with it.

a simple soloution is to allow people to add tags, or have columns where missions can be placed. so that people can easily find story missions or grind missions what ever they prefer rather than having to wade through them all.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Rihannsu
# 85
01-30-2013, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomictiki View Post
That could give the various types of CXP some use and love outside the DOFF system.
Allegedly you can get diplomatic CxP for non-combat missions....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Empire Veteran
# 86
01-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
You're right the DOFF system does throw a bit of a wrench into the "getting something for nothing = exploit" definition
The doff system is in no way an "AFK grinder". It takes 1h or so to visit every sector and nebula. It's really complex, requires a lot of knowledge of the said system, and rewards the player later.

The "timid creature" is clearly an exploit, plain and simple, and there is no excuse for that. I'd also be in favour of a drastic reduction of the max number of loots you can get with the foundry, it's just creating unnecessary inflation on the exchange.
Rihannsu
# 87
01-30-2013, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
You're right the DOFF system does throw a bit of a wrench into the "getting something for nothing = exploit" definition.
As an avid user of Doffs.... I can definitively say you are NOT "getting something for nothing". It takes a lot of time and effort to get good rewards out of it. I can send my doffs to get stuff.... but i don't get stuff as fast as you do from space grinders.....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Survivor of Romulus
# 88
01-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
As an avid user of Doffs.... I can definitively say you are NOT "getting something for nothing". It takes a lot of time and effort to get good rewards out of it. I can send my doffs to get stuff.... but i don't get stuff as fast as you do from space grinders.....
Well I confess I'm not in any way a "power DOFFer" I mostly just start whatever ones are around me and collect the rewards whenever I next log onto that toon. Seems you guys put a lot more effort into it than I do.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Captain
# 89
01-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
If you know what you're doing (and have a mostly purple crew): knowing which DOFF missions were created for suckers and which give good rewards, it's pretty easy. Especially in a fast ship or one with lots of transwarps.
Career Officer
# 90
01-30-2013, 11:29 AM
From the OP: "Are you with me?"

In a word: NO!
Closed Thread