Captain
# 21
01-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch2600 View Post
http://youtu.be/FrHyfuxtOcU?t=11m30s
If you listen to the video from the point that I'm linking, they begin to talk about it. This isn't the only case where Stahl has talked about this, but the info is around if you look/listen.
Dstahl has no control over what the Foundry team does. He only has his team to work with. I will watch the link later, but if it's just Stahl talking then it's probably, "What we'd love to see.." Whether he'll put it on someone's schedule is a little doubtful.
Commander
# 22
01-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I do feel that an improvement to the search tool would be useful.

It has several categories to search, but there's a few issues with the way it works. Language... there are a few options, but, only for languages that the game was translated into. I've played missions written in Czech and Polish, but there is no way to sort for those.

And as has been mentioned often, sorting "combat simulations" from actual stories would be nice...

It's not really necessary, but it would be nice.
The best way to search is to use TIME.

30min to 2 hours will pull up all the story missions.
Survivor of Romulus
# 23
01-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomictiki View Post

I imagine that works, the problem is probably many people who don't know that and wouldn't think to do that.

I think you gotta put some buttons right in front of people's faces before they ever get to a mission listing. When you click "Browse All" it should begin with some options so you get a listing of exactly what you're looking for.
Join the Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

Looking for a Foundry mission for your Romulan character? Look no further!
Rihannsu
# 24
01-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
I imagine that works, the problem is probably many people who don't know that and wouldn't think to do that.

I think you gotta put some buttons right in front of people's faces before they ever get to a mission listing. When you click "Browse All" it should begin with some options so you get a listing of exactly what you're looking for.
Exactly, searching by time is unintuitive, and only something a few know they CAN do.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Commander
# 25
01-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post

That was just 3 minutes flipping tabs... and I didn't even want to find a story mission. I imagine if one really wanted to find one, they'd find it just fine. Unless they're stupid, and I've got it on good authority those people only look for grinders anyway.
Career Officer
# 26
01-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomictiki View Post

I believe you've basically just hit on the solution. Have two tabs, each sorted by time. One for "Instant Action" (or it could be called "Quick Play" or something) and one for "Story". Instant Action would be less than 30 minutes. Story tab would be greater than 30 minutes.

That simple definition would probably solve 95% of our problems. It's a very easy fix. That plus stomping out the timid creature exploit and we'd be in pretty good shape. Then later on they could improve the rewards for longer missions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysmith1 View Post
He's right though.
As much as you or others want something from this game, theres no reason for rudeness or child like impateince.
Hell whenever I'm frustrated I play Civ5 or go to the gym... not post what could be considered rude threads.

That isn't to say many people don't share your opinion or even your feelings on this or other subjects.
Just show some gratitude we got a game full stop!... STO nearly went tank twice if it wern't for the Dev Team!
It's about more than Cryptic. We put a lot of effort into making our missions. If they don't get played because the system and/or playerbase encourages grinders then we don't have much reason to make them.

Also, as far as showing gratitude, how should we feel when we put in a lot of effort to try to deliver content for people to play, and in response some players treat us like crap, by insulting us, saying our missions are terrible (even though many saying this I suspect haven't even played any of them), that we're entitled, etc?

The truth is we don't get much in the way of tangible rewards for our efforts. So, we're really doing this for others as much as us, maybe more so. Yet we're treated with this sort of abuse. And it's not even about the grinders either, some people have been openly hostile to us basically from the start. In a way, I can even understand why some people are so unhappy that they are choosing to delete their missions, although I think that is a rather counterproductive attitude. But the point being, something that negatively influences Foundry Authors hurts the Foundry, too.

In the end, Cryptic said that the Foundry was about making stories, so I think we are somewhat justified in our view of what it is for. If they said it was to create console clickers or missions where you just blow up ships, I guess that we might be a little less vocal.

However, I'm not even saying to get rid of the combat missions, or grinders or whatever you want to call them. I say keep them, they are fair game, just give us a separate tab for longer missions (which by definition will almost always be story based, but if someone wants to make a 2 hour war scenario then so be it ).

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.

Last edited by nagorak; 01-29-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Career Officer
# 27
01-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I'm an amateur programmer... If it was a high priority, which it isn't, less than a month.
I actually doubt adding a second UI tab would take more than a couple days work. We're talking about adding a tab with a different sort/search mechanic. It's not like major systems have to be put into place.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Rihannsu
# 28
01-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
I actually doubt adding a second UI tab would take more than a couple days work. We're talking about adding a tab with a different sort/search mechanic. It's not like major systems have to be put into place.
True. I was just making a counterpoint to the idea it'd take "forever".
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 29
01-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
Wouldn't all of the missions then have to be tagged for the search function to work?
# 30
01-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
Wouldn't all of the missions then have to be tagged for the search function to work?
not neccesarily. Nagorak was proposing sorting the missions using existing parameters. More specifically, average playtime.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!