Career Officer
I love all the special consoles that come with new ships and found in lock boxes. But I never get to use them because if I slotted them in my tac/sci/eng slots rather than the support consoles I would survive pvp.

The thing I like about carriers is that it has its own fighter consoles so that you don't have to struggle finding a place to put them.

So my idea is this why not give every ship 3 special consoles where you can specifically slot these special ability consoles.
I would love a proper game of wits where I'm chasing down a ship when it sub spaces jumps behind me so I dump theta radiation and cloak. As I decloak the other ship fires off anti mater spread and gets in place and fires its spinal lance. Etc.

If this idea went ahead more people would buy c-store ships because they can use the consoles without optimising the operational slots.

This idea could even be saved for tier 6 ships when the level cap increases.

But what do you think?
Rihannsu
# 2
01-30-2013, 04:33 AM
I think they are fine as is. if you want that special ability you have to sacrifice something. its a pay off. adding special console slots only feels less tactical as you dont have to worry about what to give up.

i could maybe support 1 extra slot that is just for special consoles, but 3 is excessive and not that fair for people that dont buy the special ships at all and are already at a disadvantage.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 3
01-30-2013, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
I think they are fine as is. if you want that special ability you have to sacrifice something. its a pay off. adding special console slots only feels less tactical as you dont have to worry about what to give up.

i could maybe support 1 extra slot that is just for special consoles, but 3 is excessive and not that fair for people that dont buy the special ships at all and are already at a disadvantage.

3 is a good number because what's the point if spending $60 on a ship pack that comes with 3 consoles where you have to choose what ones your going to use.
And you don't have to buy a ship to get a console because you can now buy 4 or 5 lock box console packs on the exchange starting at around 650,000.

Why have all these multiple consoles if you can only use one or two. They should have there own slots.
Another factor is when you buy a science ships you have more science console slots. Same with eng and tac ships. After you have put special consoles in those slots all the ships are pretty much configured the same way. So it turns out it doesn't matter what ship you go for.
Rihannsu
# 4
01-30-2013, 06:39 AM
no.

you wanna use special console? pay for it with survivability/sci power nerf/DPS nerf

just now i am flying my B'rel without ANY special console and god knows i have plenty of them.

(ok now and then i take my beloved isometric charge for fedballs )

Join the premiere Romulan community now!
Career Officer
# 5
01-30-2013, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duaths1 View Post
no.

you wanna use special console? pay for it with survivability/sci power nerf/DPS nerf

just now i am flying my B'rel without ANY special console and god knows i have plenty of them.

(ok now and then i take my beloved isometric charge for fedballs )
Exactly my point no one uses them because you wouldn't last 5 minutes if you substituted it for a gif generator or two.
It's not a ship console it's a special ability and should be used and have its on slots as such.
Commander
# 6
01-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeny75 View Post

The thing I like about carriers is that it has its own fighter consoles so that you don't have to struggle finding a place to put them.

So my idea is this why not give every ship 3 special consoles where you can specifically slot these special ability consoles.
I would love a proper game of wits where I'm chasing down a ship when it sub spaces jumps behind me so I dump theta radiation and cloak. As I decloak the other ship fires off anti mater spread and gets in place and fires its spinal lance. Etc.
The fighter "console" isn't a console, it's a hangar. There's a difference.

There's nothing holding you back from using all of your console slots for universal consoles. This discussion has been had time and again on these forums. Universal consoles are perky consoles that can be slotted into any console slot. To use said perky console you must give up a console slot. You must sacrifice DPS or protection or resists(the three most common console choices for tac/eng/sci)to get that perky console. It's just how it is.

I've given up all four of my ENG slots and my lone sci slot to perky consoles on my JHAS to max it's DPS output. Of those five slots, only one isn't a universal console. It's the sci console from embassy, and I don't really miss the lost protection whatsoever until a cube starts firing at me in cure space. It's a 50/50 chance that it will or won't. The problem with it is not only does it fire at me, it starts draining shields, tractor beams, and spams torpedoes. I rather have a tac cube mad at me than one of those damn cubes in CSE.

Anyway, my point is, if you know how to use your BO abilities effectively, and are willing to accept "**** happens" time from time, then you have less of a need for all those consoles you use for resists and shields....in PvE.

I know there are consoles you may prefer like turn rate or crew resist or improved regen or hull repair and all of that is great perky stuff, but then it comes down to what perks you desire more. I'd be an obvious liar if I said that I am against the idea of free console slots to hold universal consoles. I'm just being realistic here. It's a balance issue. It's why we don't already get like 20 console slots. I would give up my first born for 20 console slots(if I had a first born)but for the good of the game I should never have access to 20 console slots. Ever. Because all I would do is use like 10 of them for universal consoles that would be total "Goldberg" layouts.

If I had three free console slots for universal consoles on my klingon, I know exactly what three consoles would go there. And most klingon players in the PVP field would surely do the same. I don't know about you, but I would not want every klingon I crossed in PvP to practically be guaranteed to be using aceton, leech, and impulse cell, with maybe graviton thrown into the mix somewhere. And that's assuming that your three console idea limits your ship to just three universal consoles, and not the three console slots PLUS free reign to be used in your eng/sci/tac slots. It would destroy both PvE and PvP on the spot.

I get your point about this, and I would love access to many of these console perks full time, but for the good of the game it is best that we do not get what we want. Put it to you this way: That example you provided, about theta and such, you would never get the opportunity to live that out when every klingon you came across turned your ship into nothing more than target practice. They can do it now if you're not packing a torp by chance, but those player ships aren't common to see, either. With your idea, they would be common. And you'll quickly regret ever pushing for freebie universal console slots.
Rihannsu
# 7
01-30-2013, 07:23 AM
No. Those abilities come in consoles specifically to force you to make a choice of using it in place of a stat boost or not.

People don't use the gimmick attack consoles because they're mostly useless and have too long recharge times. Non-gimmick uni consoles, such as those in the Borg and Romulan weapon sets, are used frequently. And those would be the ones that would go in any new special console slots.