Ensign
# 1 Suggestion for Exploring
01-29-2013, 11:56 PM
I really love the exploring missions in the clusters, because it gives a little Star Trek feeling - to bodly go... - but I get tired of the missions, because they are all the same - collect data, kill enemies, deliver stuff, etc. I?d like to have a really "To bodly go where noone has gone before" feeling. For this I had a little idea: It should be possible for the foundry to create special exploring missions by players. And these player created missions should run randomly, when a player starts to explore a cluster and enters an unknown system.
Captain
# 2
01-30-2013, 12:08 AM
I believe this has been suggested before and it will be suggested again to tie Foundry missions into exploration. This would actually give a reason to go back to exploration clusters besides doff assignments.
Career Officer
# 3
01-30-2013, 01:25 AM
It's not a bad idea. There would need to be a way to ensure a standard running time, I think. I would hate to randomly start a 2 hour mission not knowing what I was getting myself into. Just my 2 cents on that.
I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
Career Officer
# 4
01-30-2013, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by curs0r View Post
It's not a bad idea. There would need to be a way to ensure a standard running time, I think. I would hate to randomly start a 2 hour mission not knowing what I was getting myself into. Just my 2 cents on that.
Good point, but I think that should be solvable.
The Foundry missions that count against the "Investigate Officer Reports" repeatable are supposed to be 15 minutes or above.
Missions flagged for exploration could have a similar restriction, just make them between 5 and 10 minutes long (which would also mean the exploration and investigate missions would become mutually exclusive) and we'd be ready to go.

Aaand we could get similar yet different missions set up for the Klignons in their exploration sectors as well.
More combat oriented but less mind-numbing than the current ones.
Ensign
# 5
01-30-2013, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
Good point, but I think that should be solvable.
The Foundry missions that count against the "Investigate Officer Reports" repeatable are supposed to be 15 minutes or above.
Missions flagged for exploration could have a similar restriction, just make them between 5 and 10 minutes long (which would also mean the exploration and investigate missions would become mutually exclusive) and we'd be ready to go.

Aaand we could get similar yet different missions set up for the Klignons in their exploration sectors as well.
More combat oriented but less mind-numbing than the current ones.
I?d like to have longer missions during the exploring of a cluster, but I understand, that some players do not like longer missions, so my suggestion is, to mark the missions as short, middle or long, so the player is able to decide to run the mission, or not.
Longer and more interesting missions are the reason, I had this idea. I?d like to explore new worlds and new civilizations^^. I?m tired of blowing Orions, Romulans and Borg away, or flying around a plent to gather 5 types of Data...
Career Officer
# 6
01-30-2013, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurstkopp78 View Post
I?d like to have longer missions during the exploring of a cluster, but I understand, that some players do not like longer missions, so my suggestion is, to mark the missions as short, middle or long, so the player is able to decide to run the mission, or not.
Longer and more interesting missions are the reason, I had this idea. I?d like to explore new worlds and new civilizations^^. I?m tired of blowing Orions, Romulans and Borg away, or flying around a plent to gather 5 types of Data...
HMM, well my idea was mostly aimed to keep the legth roughly comparable to that of the current exploration missions.
Something I myself sometimes forget is that while this is a Star Trek game (which means a whole bunch of Treknerds like myself are involved), it's also aimed at casual gamers.
And a series of longer missions (remember we need to do 3 of them for the quest) might be...for lack of a better term...an unpleasant idea for others.

An idea that might probably work would be if we didn't get one button to "explore a system" but three, one for each length.
Ensign
# 7
01-30-2013, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
An idea that might probably work would be if we didn't get one button to "explore a system" but three, one for each length.
Yeah, that would be a great idea.