Starfleet Veteran
# 1 NX-01 Grappler?
01-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Hello all. ^^ Question for any who can answer. Is the grappler from the NX any good? Im talking for a VA ship, its not energy so I was thinking it might actually be good. :S
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
01-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Ya its not bad lowers there turn rate and speed hence there defense, but probly better to go with a console IMO.

~The Eleventh Order~
11thOrder Youtube
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2013, 10:53 AM
I like to mess around with it from time to time, but no... it's not worth wasting a console slot at VA level, you're much better off with other consoles. Note that it also shares cooldown with tractor beams; in case you wish to use that power, but don't have the means, you could sacrifice a console slot for it if you wanted.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
01-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the input. I still might get the ship, its only 500 Zen and I love the look ^^
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2013, 11:32 AM
If you happen to be a fan of the series Enterprise -like me- you might want to consider buying the Enterprise bundle it comes with the Enterprise, mirror Enterprise and T'Pol's uniforms, along with the NX! It was my first purchase on this account.
Career Officer
# 6
01-30-2013, 12:39 PM
well it does go away with HE and everyone and their mama's klink has HE. Sooooo no pvp for you, soup nazi style.
Career Officer
# 7
01-30-2013, 12:49 PM
It is... ok.

I don't find the opportunity cost of losing a console worth it, but its not horrible in the right builds. Gal-X to hold things in your front arc comes to mind... Maybe some other low sci-slot ships could get some use out of it as well. In most situations you are better of actually slotting tractor beam instead, it will be up far more often.

Interesting note, it benefits from Tractor Beam Officer doffs, so you can make it a shield drain, as well... but for a doff slot you really want to be loading the skill to get more use out of it. The cooldown on the grappler is 3 minutes (?) that is a really long downtime to dedicate a doff to...
Vice Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
Captain
# 8
01-30-2013, 12:54 PM
As an owner of the NX-class, I'll have to say I'd rather spend the console slot on an Antimatter Spread. The timer is lower and the benefits in PVE or PVP are greater than a grappler.

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Email me for a Pro-Galaxy sig!
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
Foundry: A new series coming soon! | PvP: PvP Boot Camp, Notebook Project Almost Done!