Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Captain
# 31
01-30-2013, 05:31 PM
So cruiser captains complain about the real physics of Jem Hadar Dreadnought turn rate compared to cruisers yet want an unreal taunt? That just doesn't jive. If you want a taunt so enemies attack the heavily fortified combatant rather than the most threatening combatant for no real reason then play a high fantasy game not Star Trek.
All cloaks should be canon.
Career Officer
# 32
01-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardestroyer001 View Post
The Excelsior, in the STO 'verse, is over 100 years old. Yet why is the Galaxy-class inferior to an almost century-old design?
Could be due to the fact that the Excelsior was designed from the beginning to be a testbed for new technologies, and thus easily upgraded, whereas the Galaxy was not.
Captain
# 33
01-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjokruhlica View Post
Could be due to the fact that the Excelsior was designed from the beginning to be a testbed for new technologies, and thus easily upgraded, whereas the Galaxy was not.
You can't really create anything that's a successful testbed for technology 100 years into the future...
Career Officer
# 34
01-30-2013, 05:53 PM
First, I'm a carrier captain. Second, I never once complained about the turn rate of cruisers. Third, yes, an "unreal" taunt is exactly what is needed. The reverse of jam sensors and scramble sensors, where you trick their sensors into targeting you for 5 seconds or so. Just enough to take the heat off of a teammate and give some time for heals to land. I don't want it for me, I want it for the health of the game, and to give tanking an actual place in the game.

So much venom, so much assumtion, and so much short-sightedness... Wow you must be fun at parties...
I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!

Vice Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
Career Officer
# 35
01-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloctoad View Post
So cruiser captains complain about the real physics of Jem Hadar Dreadnought turn rate compared to cruisers yet want an unreal taunt? That just doesn't jive. If you want a taunt so enemies attack the heavily fortified combatant rather than the most threatening combatant for no real reason then play a high fantasy game not Star Trek.
I certainly don't. There seem to be a few people who want old school hard trinity mechanics though.
Career Officer
# 36
01-30-2013, 06:00 PM
No, I'm all set with hard trinity mechanics myself as well, but the problem is in PvE we have big ships designed to soak damage, but the system fails because threat mechaincs are not well thought out.

I'm not saying make it so only X can do Y, I'm saying give whomever is chosing to be a tanky type the tools to achive that end.

Lieutenant
# 37
01-30-2013, 06:29 PM
The issue of stacking counsles is a debate able I for one dont support the stacking of counsles its one of the reasons PVP dosn't work a Eng. will stack 4 ablative hull plates on his ship so he immune to all but anti proton dmg.

your not suppose to have 4 generators on your ship so you create a super tractor beam.
Captain
# 38
01-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloctoad View Post
If your ship class is designed to be the sci-fi version of the high-fantasy "steady damage long survival tank", then you need all the tools of the job, which includes the traditional "unreal" taunt skill...

Or, just give everyone 5 tac consoles, DHC mounts, and a 25 turn rate...

I'm still trying to come up with the wording of my "17 skills vs. 3 skills + ludicrous HP" concept...
Well, with the upgrade announcement leaving NX and Connie fans in the dust again, can we restart / revisit the T5 Connie and NX threads - since they will no longer be "truly" endgame ships... (after we get the T5 versions, it'll be time to see them added to the T5U upgrade charts too...
Career Officer
# 39
01-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
No, the Galaxy and the Sovereign are REAL flagships, the Oddy is Cryptic's way of trying to get a famous ship of their own to bear the name Enterprise but it fails dismally. Cryptic have always been disrespectful of the Galaxy Class and even the Sovereign to an extent because they know nothing about Star Trek or how to recreate it in a game format. They only do what they think is cool and not what the fans want.

The Oddy is an always will be a bad joke at Cryptic's expense, a ship like that will never bear the name Enterprise.
I don't understand the hate for the Oddyssey class. Sure, it maneuvers about as well as a sleepy Hutt however I rather like the sleek design and the attempt to show the design lineage from the Sovereign.

To each his own, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Typhon Pact timeline is much better then this sorry attempt of a game.
At least Cryptic knew well enough to leave the Breen alone (that is to say, leaving them as a mysterious, enigmatic race). It's a good thing books aren't canon, otherwise the Breen would have been completely ruined.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS

Last edited by lordagamemnonb5; 01-30-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Career Officer
# 40
01-30-2013, 06:45 PM
The Ody is a fine ship. People hate on her because she is popular, was given away free, has a C-Store version that was considered OP at release due to the uni boffs and having 10 consoles, and is flown by a lot of people who don't know how to fly.

People always like to hate on popularity. It makes it a bit easier to hate when for months you were subjected to every newb and their brother taking skittle-shooting Odys into ESTF and blowing nodes on the wrong side...

A good pilot in an Ody is a wonderful thing. The problem is you always get to see 100s of poorly performing Kirk wannabes instead of that once ace pilot that knows how to make her sing.