Lt. Commander
For those who don't know what I'm talking about, I recommend reading this: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/47

At first, I thought the "47" jokes in the vanilla missions were a little amusing. Not laugh-out-loud funny, mind you, but worth a smirk... and maybe a subdued chuckle. At first.

That was before I realized just how often they were used. It's gotten to the point that any time a number is given in a vanilla mission, you can be sure that "47" will appear somewhere in it. I understand that they're being included as a tribute to the Trek writers, but considering how blatant the references are, I think they've lost their charm, and stopped being a fitting tribute.

Think about it: in Trek, the "47" references were very, very subtle. The number was rarely used in actual dialogue (of course there are a few exceptions), but was more frequently seen on bulkhead, doors, storage compartments, etc. Sometimes it was inverted, and "74" was used instead. Furthermore, using "47" was not a hard and fast rule (as it's become in STO). Other numbers were given as well.

Most importantly, by midway through DS9, the writers themselves tired of the joke, and it was used less frequently. I'd like to humbly suggest that the STO writing staff follow their example.

The jokes were a good idea at the game's inception, and I'm glad you included them. But now they've gotten stale; it's time to retire them.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
01-30-2013, 04:46 PM
===========> 47
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Empire Veteran
# 3
01-30-2013, 04:48 PM
Can we get rid of 13 as well? It doesn't feel right to me, it's like bad mojo.
-47-47-47-47-47-47-47-47-47-47-47-47-47-47-47-47-47-47-47-47-47-47-
Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.
Warning, this poster tends to talk nonsensically when caffine levels fall below 80%.
Republic Veteran
# 4
01-30-2013, 04:52 PM
1 - 7 - 3 - 4 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 4 - 7 - 6 - Charlie - 3 - 2 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 7 - 7 - 7 - 6 - 4 - 3 - Tango - 7 - 3 - 2 - Victor - 7 - 3 - 1 - 1 - 7 - 8 - 8 - 8 - 7 - 3 - 2 - 4 - 7 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 7 - 6 - 4 - 3 - 7 - 6 - Lock.

Captain
# 5
01-30-2013, 04:58 PM
I have to agree with the OP. There are way too many 47 references.
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Lieutenant
# 6
01-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusforbeare View Post
For those who don't know what I'm talking about, I recommend reading this: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/47

At first, I thought the "47" jokes in the vanilla missions were a little amusing. Not laugh-out-loud funny, mind you, but worth a smirk... and maybe a subdued chuckle. At first.

That was before I realized just how often they were used. It's gotten to the point that any time a number is given in a vanilla mission, you can be sure that "47" will appear somewhere in it. I understand that they're being included as a tribute to the Trek writers, but considering how blatant the references are, I think they've lost their charm, and stopped being a fitting tribute.

Think about it: in Trek, the "47" references were very, very subtle. The number was rarely used in actual dialogue (of course there are a few exceptions), but was more frequently seen on bulkhead, doors, storage compartments, etc. Sometimes it was inverted, and "74" was used instead. Furthermore, using "47" was not a hard and fast rule (as it's become in STO). Other numbers were given as well.

Most importantly, by midway through DS9, the writers themselves tired of the joke, and it was used less frequently. I'd like to humbly suggest that the STO writing staff follow their example.

The jokes were a good idea at the game's inception, and I'm glad you included them. But now they've gotten stale; it's time to retire them.
devs please don't even waste your time with this LOL you got much more better things to do here move long nothing to see here
Rihannsu
# 7
01-30-2013, 05:25 PM
Honestly.... I never noticed.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy6665 View Post
devs please don't even waste your time with this LOL you got much more better things to do here move long nothing to see here
It doesn't take time or effort. All it takes is coming up with any other number when writing mission dialogue.

If you don't agree, then give a reason. As it stands, you're not contributing anything to the conversation.
Ensign
# 9
01-31-2013, 11:40 AM
Really man? Is that what your life has come to?

Whining on the boards about a Easter egg?

Haven't you got anything better to do?
Commander
# 10
01-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfattiest View Post
Really man? Is that what your life has come to?

Whining on the boards about a Easter egg?

Haven't you got anything better to do?
And you come onto the Internet to berate people about them wasting their time?
The irony is strong with this one.

He's dead, Jim.