Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Duty Officer System and R&D
Login

Career Officer
I just got a new Gravimetric scientist from the new Reinforcements Duty Officer Pack with a space ability to create an aftershock Tykens Rift which is perfect for my Science ship, but low and behold we are only allowed one Gravimetric Scientist on the active roster even if they have different abilities (my current one gives a chance of creating an aftershock Gravity well)

Can we get this changed so that us science captains can use both types of doff bonus for our ships? as far as i am aware you can have multiple tactical Doffs of the same specialization on active duty so why not gravimetric Doffs??
Empire Veteran
# 2
07-10-2012, 03:55 PM
I ran into this last night after ponying up for a Tyken's Doff on the exchange to add to my GW Doff. I'm running an Intrepid Retrofit so I never expected there to be an issue assigning science Doffs to it. Imagine my unpleasant surprise.

Yeah, please fix this. This limit makes absolutely no sense.

Z
Cryptic Studios Team
# 3
07-10-2012, 04:32 PM
A gravimetric doff is a gravimetric doff, regardless of the power they possess. And you may only slot a single gravimetric doff on your ship.

Yes, it's a serious limitation and I can understand how some players would see it as inconvenient, but it is by no means non-sensical. Each gravimetric doff is capable of having a rather large effect on a single power. Allowing two to be slotted so that you can use a GW + Tyken doff, would at the same time allow you to have two GW doffs slotted, which cannot be allowed due to balance and stacking concerns, as well as the fundamental data structure of the associated powers (multiple versions simply would not function together).

There may be other ways to address this, but existing Gravimetric doffs would have to be deleted and replaced with entirely new copies that would have their data structured in different ways. A seriously non-trivial task, and highly unlikely to occur.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Commander
# 4
07-10-2012, 05:46 PM
I don't know if that was actually stated anywhere in game but if its not it needs to be made blatantly obvious to us players that we cant put them together before we spend a whole lot of resources getting something that we cant put in our existing build.
Empire Veteran
# 5
07-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
A gravimetric doff is a gravimetric doff, regardless of the power they possess. And you may only slot a single gravimetric doff on your ship.

Yes, it's a serious limitation and I can understand how some players would see it as inconvenient, but it is by no means non-sensical. Each gravimetric doff is capable of having a rather large effect on a single power. Allowing two to be slotted so that you can use a GW + Tyken doff, would at the same time allow you to have two GW doffs slotted, which cannot be allowed due to balance and stacking concerns, as well as the fundamental data structure of the associated powers (multiple versions simply would not function together).

There may be other ways to address this, but existing Gravimetric doffs would have to be deleted and replaced with entirely new copies that would have their data structured in different ways. A seriously non-trivial task, and highly unlikely to occur.
As kalani2 pointed out, if we don't have the relevant information about something, it very well is nonsensical to players (and we know how Cryptic is with documentation). Even with your explanation the limit still doesn't make much sense. Make it so the same type of gravimetric Doff doesn't stack. There you go. Problem solved.

Maybe your sig should say "Design smart!"

Z
Ensign
# 6
07-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:

http://filesmelt.com/dl/doctorsto.png

As seen here two doctors can be equipped at the same time, why is this not the case with gravimetric scientists?
Career Officer
# 7
07-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Quote:

So basically the new Gravimetric Tyken Rift Doff is pretty much useless to us science captains then? I'm assuming like me other captains have the Gravity Well Doff already on active duty and would loathe to remove him/her for the new one.

Also looking on the dev blog about it for the reinforcement pack it shows the flight deck officer has 3 different skills, and energy weapons officer has 2 skills (while this officer has one already active) surely there is a way around this to make grav doffs able to be used for both types

I really wish I hadn't used my CP to buy the reinforcements pack now... I bought it for the chance to get some new doffs especially the Tykens rift officer, which afterwards i find out not to be able to use... complete waste of money, this should really be added to the description so more people aren't fooled, especially if you don't think you can find the time to change it so they can be used along with the old one
Ensign
# 8
07-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheppardus View Post
As seen here two doctors can be equipped at the same time, why is this not the case with gravimetric scientists?
Because most doff classes allow you to equip up to three of a given type?
Captain
# 9
07-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eveoracle View Post
http://filesmelt.com/dl/doctorsto.png

Because certain DOffs aren't as OP as (apparently) Gravimetric ones are - but there are several that are limited to one as well. For example, the Engineer ground boosting DOffs are mostly limited to one, to prevent massive turret spam.
Career Officer
# 10
07-11-2012, 01:50 PM
What we really need is something in the UI telling us how many of a certain type can be equipped.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk