Ensign
# 31 Weekly Updates & Excess
01-31-2013, 06:22 AM
Dear STO,

I would just like to bring to your attention that, while I understand the necessity of weekly updates, and since this is a Globally played game, it will always affect someone - when you proceed to update the game more than once in a week, it becomes extremely frustrating on behalf of the players who are interrupted.

Case in point:
The servers were taken down Monday from 7-9 PST to remove Q from the Starbase, which is *right* in the middle of my peak playtime, being a Grave-shift worker in the US. This pretty much shoots my play-time to pieces, since when I get home, it gives me about 1 hour to do my game maintenance (or "chores"), and then after update, I get about double that to play clean-up from said chores previously.

Once a week is totally understandable - even WoW does a weekly server downtime and theirs is usually for longer.

However, to then proceed to take the servers down *again* in the same week is, for lack of a better term, extremely tooth-grating frustrating.

I humbly submit a request asking you to *please, please, please* consider either A.) timing events to coincide with weekly resets, thus, the server only needs to go down once per week, or B.) Find a more seemless way of ending key-timed events without the need to take down the server.

Sincerely & Regards
Rihannsu
# 32
01-31-2013, 06:33 AM
of course they will try to consolidate updates into as little downtime as possible. they dont need people to tell them that. that's just common sense and its not in their interest to have the game go down any more than needed, but there is a lot of background stuff that goes on that requires multiple downtimes in a given week.

the maintenance on monday was most likely very important and could not wait to be wrapped into today's usual update. you will 9/10 times only see one update a week unless something goes wrong, or requires more than usual maintenance, such as massive patches.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 33 Plasma Adaptation...... :S
01-31-2013, 06:54 AM
I have to ask, who's idea was it to allow the borg to adapt to plasma? I have the MACO set so adapting is not an issue but plasma is not a particle (it is the 4th state of matter) and does not necessarily have a frequency -- this is a plank of STO that is now science friction. Please revert this change.
Ensign
# 34
01-31-2013, 07:00 AM
Anyone who knows anything about theoretical plasma weaponry knows that plasma cannot simply be generated and fired, it has to be encapsulated, Most likely in some sort of electromagnetic shielding, who knows what method could be used in the sto universe, perhaps tiny pellets contained in force fields, whatever, However the borgs shielding could easily adapt to the encapsulation, so a plasma energy weapon could still easily be adapted to.
Captain
# 35
01-31-2013, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlalo View Post
I have to ask, who's idea was it to allow the borg to adapt to plasma? I have the MACO set so adapting is not an issue but plasma is not a particle (it is the 4th state of matter) and does not necessarily have a frequency -- this is a plank of STO that is now science friction. Please revert this change.
Although Borg adapting to plasma will certainly make thing more interesting in ground combat against the Borg, these changes mean the final stages of fixing plasma damage introduced by the flamethrower.

Currently only available through embassies, but perhaps soon the Romulan flame-thrower will return in the reputation shop.

Having said that, it is odd that the Borg adapt to the 4th state of matter.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 36
01-31-2013, 07:02 AM
The following has been added to today's patch notes:
Quote:
Foundry:

• Foundry NPC Groups set to Timid creature will now fight back when they take damage.
Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Captain
# 37
01-31-2013, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Foundry NPC Groups set to Timid creature will now fight back when they take damage.
Whaaaat?

The "cover instead of fight" behavior was the only useful feature of Timid Creature! Why are you changing that?
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Captain
# 38
01-31-2013, 07:05 AM
Quote:
They can already adapt to Fek'Ihri fire and acid attacks. I don't see how this is any different.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Empire Veteran
# 39
01-31-2013, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Plasma still damages them, and the Borg generally adapt to damage

As for the 'Frequency' aspect, I'd chalk that up to gameplay considerations. Not everything in video games (MMO's included) is realistic after all, and we ARE in a science fiction world... plus ST has let a lot of science slide by for the sake of plot and entertainment
Was named Trek17, but still an author: www.enlightenmentoblivion.com.
Empire Veteran
# 40
01-31-2013, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
Whaaaat?

The "cover instead of fight" behavior was the only useful feature of Timid Creature! Why are you changing that?
Curious myself.

A HUGE thank you to Cryptic for the Mogh-class battle cruiser!
Closed Thread