Ensign
# 1 Some Vesta Questions
01-31-2013, 08:38 AM
So I've recently come back to the game, about 3 weeks ago. I didn't get very far the last time I played, a whopin' 39 days back at launch, so it goes without saying that I lack some practical experience on some things.

I've played hard the last few weeks, hit VA and have some questions now.

Firstly, I'm an engineer.
I just bought the vesta 3 pack

Currently I'm flying the "engineer" version of the ship for the additional engi consoles, but have come to the opinion that most engi consoles are sad compared to sci and tac ones and that I should probably switch hulls to one of those two, any opinions on that?

Having the 3 pack I was flying 3x aux cannons and all 3 of the special consoles. Yesterday I dropped one of the cannons in favor of a tricobalt torp launcher. In the aft I have a tricobalt mine launcher and 2 phaser beams (I'm a traditionalist, I love phasers). I was going to use turrets but not being able to use the subsystem targeting without beams felt like I was self gimping myself.

Ultimately I'm asking some veterans out there what hull should I fly and how should I outfit it, roughly. I'm very much enjoying the ship type, I've flown nothing but fatty cruisers up to this point and it's refreshing to be able to turn and react instead of just shrug and take it. So I really wana make this ship shine for me and any advice is welcome. thank you in advance.
Career Officer
# 2
01-31-2013, 09:00 AM
My opinion is that if you're not running 3 x Aux DHCs on the Vesta then you're not getting the best out of it.

Subsystem Targeting is nice but hardly essential so my (Tac) Vesta loadout would be:

3 x Aux DHCs
2 x Mk XII Advanced (Fleet) Phaser Turrets [Dmg]x3 [Acc]
Omega Kinetic Cutting Beam (for Omega Weapons Amplifier)

Mk XII Borg Deflector (+5 Aux)
Mk XII Jem'hadar Engines (+5 Weapons, +?.? Weapons*)
Mk XII Borg Shields (+5 Shields)

*additional Weapon Power bonus depends on the base weapon power

4 x Phaser Relays
2 x Plasma Distribution Manifolds (+ to Weapons)
2 x Field Generators
Borg Console (+5 Weapons)
Romulan Zero Point (+1.8 all systems)

Traits: Accurate + Warp Theorist (for increased Warp Core Potential)

Skills: Max points in Energy Weapons/Warp Core Efficiency and Warp Core Potential + Aux/Weapons power.

Plus a few Efficient Saurian Boffs and a Liberated Borg Engineer.

A setup like this should allow you to run 125 Aux and 100+ Weapons power - a little squishy but the maximum possible DPS you can get out of a 125 Aux Vesta build (barring putting a Tac in there). And you'll be doing more DPS than a non-Aux Cannons build due to two 'weapons' power reserves.

Oh, and Elite Scorpions from the Romulan Reputation
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012

Last edited by weylandjuarez; 01-31-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Career Officer
# 3
01-31-2013, 09:02 AM
I personally prefer the Multimission Reconaissance Explorer (the Tactical version) just for the added Ooomph. I do use the three consoles as well - and two Aux cannons as well as the Omega Torpedo in the bow, a Phaser Beam array and turret as well as the Cutting Beam aft as I do use the Borg set. I was tempted to try the Romulan set as one has to love the high speed plasma torpedo launcher instead - but well, You cannot have everything as it would make sense to go plasma with that set instead of using phasers. Could not get myself to drop the beam array as I enjoy subsystem targetting while I position myself for another cannon run.

Never got the hang of mines but that is just me, tricobalt mines with the right patterns are nasty buggers.

So my version would be

2 x Aux DHC
1 x Omega Torpedo Launcher

1 x Phaser Beam Array Mk XII [Acc] [CrtD]x2
1 x Phaser Turret Mk XII [Acc]x2 [CrtD]
1 x Kinetic Cutting Beam

Assimilated Deflector Array Mk XII
Assimilated Subtranswarp Engines Mk XII
M.A.C.O. Resilient Shield Array Mk XII
(You might go for the complete Mk XII Borg set, though - as You prefer)

4 x Phaser Relays
1 x Field Generator
1 x Sympathetic Thermion Transceiver
1 x Quantum Field Focus Controller
1 x Multidimensional Wave-Function Controller

1 x Neutronium Armor
1 x Assimilated Module

Advanced Danube Runabouts - though Advanced Shield Repair Drones or the Elite Scorpions do work as well

With 125 Aux energy, efficient BOffs and moving around a lot I get some nice survivability out of it.

Last edited by deianirrah; 01-31-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Added ship overview
Ensign
# 4
01-31-2013, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the replies so far I've got a lot to think about, I don't have the rep with omega to utilize some of these things yet, but always nice to have something to work towards.

Any suggestions on BOFF skills and arrangements? I know the ship has the two uni slots so always a bit touigh trying to figure who to put where. I'm not up on all the abbreviations for boff skills so be gentle with me LOL
Career Officer
# 5
01-31-2013, 10:29 AM
I do use this setup and I know there are countless better ones, it is the one I prefer to do STFs with:

Lt. Tactical: Torpedo High Yield I, Cannon Scatter Volley I
Lt. Engineering: Emergency Power to Shields I, Reverse Shield Polarity I
Commander Science: Science Team I, Hazard Emitters II, Energy Siphon II, Gravity Well III
Ensign Universal: Polarize Hull I
Lt. Commander Universal: Tactical Team I, Cannon Rapid Fire I, Attack Pattern Omega I

In addition to that: Shield Batteries, Engine Batteries and the Subspace Field Modulator for increased survivability.

Most of my BOffs have the Efficient-trait, one the Leadership-trait (as I heard it might be broken).
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2013, 11:31 AM
go for all efficient trait, and 1 romulan crit trait!

with 6 points in energy spec, rom crit tier skill, zero-point, and rom crit trait boff... I'm at 10.7% critical chance

also, I've parsed Elite Scorps vs Advanced Danubes... the scorps are about 2.5x more dps!

Last edited by kingstonalan; 01-31-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Career Officer
# 7
01-31-2013, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstonalan View Post
go for all efficient trait, and 1 romulan crit trait!

with 6 points in energy spec, rom crit tier skill, zero-point, and rom crit trait boff... I'm at 10.7% critical chance

also, I've parsed Elite Scorps vs Advanced Danubes... the scorps are about 2.5x more dps!
^^ this!

If you get the 'Efficient' build working, the next thing is maxxing out your Crits
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
01-31-2013, 11:53 AM
I built my Vesta as a Torpedo Boat.

Fore
Omega Torp
Romulan Torp
Aux Cannons (Debating on switching to Experimental Plasma Beam)

Aft
2x Plasma Turrets
Omega Cutting Beam

All my tac consoles are plasma torp consoles, I use all 3 vesta consoles, and Elite Scorpion Fighters.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
01-31-2013, 01:05 PM
For PVE this AOE build works wonders. Just be sure to use three Deflector Officer Duty officers to fix some of the more horrendous ability cool down times.

Tactical team, Cannon Scatter Volley, Attack pattern Beta.
Tactical team, Cannon Scatter Volley
Emergency Power to Shields, Auxiliary Power to Structural Integrity Field.
Polarize Hull, Hazard Emitters, Gravity Well, Energy Syphon
Transfer Shield Strength.

With lower levels of scatter volley and a higher level attack pattern you get a bigger damage boost then vice versa. The energy Syphon isn't a bad de-buff for boss ships but primarily it is a large boost to all your systems power, with this you shouldn't need to put any power into weapons. Aux and shields will be all you need with Aux cannons forward, two turrets and a beam array, or three turrets aft.

The 4 phaser relays you can fit on the Reconnaissance are a much better choice for PVE then anything else. If you relay find you need more survivability then the Surveillance variant is a better choice then the Strategic as the Vesta's tank is in her shields not her hull. Field Generators are a fantastic console for this.
Career Officer
# 10
01-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
A setup like this should allow you to run 125 Aux and 100+ Weapons power - a little squishy but the maximum possible DPS you can get out of a 125 Aux Vesta build (barring putting a Tac in there). And you'll be doing more DPS than a non-Aux Cannons build due to two 'weapons' power reserves.
I ran a MM Recon Explorer ignoring the Aux cannons and I usually got 6k DPs. How much more DPS are you getting from Aux cannons?

I used Phasers because of the Quantum Phaser, didn't use all three consoles because I found whenever I needed the invulnerability I was probably already running the healing field and it wasn't available. Didn't use the kinetic reflection because I never seemed to find the right circumstances to use it. I kept just the healing field as a backup group heal, and the Quantum Phaser is amazing.

Fore: 1 Fleet Adv Phaser DHC, 1 Quad Phaser, 1 Phaser DBB
Aft: 2 Fleet Adv Phaser Turrets, 1 Kinetic Cutting Beam

Tac: 4 Phaser Relays
Eng: 1 Neutronium Alloy, 1 Assimilated Console
Sci: 1 Quantum Field Focus Controller, 1 Sympathetic Fermion Transceiver, 1 Zero-Point Energy Conduit, 1 Tachyokinetic Converter
Hanger: Elite Scorpions

CDR Sci: Grav Well 3, TSS3, HE2, PH1
LT CDR Uni (Eng): Aux2Struct 2, EPtS2, EPtW1
LT Eng: EPtS2, EPtW1
LT Tac: APB1, TT1
ENS Uni (Tac): BO1

2 Conn DOffs
1 Grav DOff
2 Deflector DOffs

90/50/25/35 or 95/50/25/30 (can't remember)

2 Conn DOffs reduce the cooldown of TT1 to 15s and give +20 Attack Patterns for APB. Activate TT1 followed by APB whenever possible. Grav DOff is important for Grav Well 3, the 2 Deflector DOffs help me toss out more GW3s.

Full Borg set, Efficient Captain and 5 Efficient BOffs along with constant cycling of EPtW1 and EPtS2 kept me at 115 weapon power after drain, 105 shield power, around 55 engine power, and 76 auxiliary power.

DBB allows for Subsystem Targetting. Use it any time you face an enemy with shields.

As an Engineer, tap EPS Power Transfer before activating Quantum Phaser, so it fires at over 100 Aux power. (Also fire off BO1 when you do this, since EPS will boost your BO1 damage and almost negate the power drain.) Use the Quantum Phaser whenever possible since it deals massive DPS, but do it early so you can get the full 12 seconds out of it. Just firing the quantum phaser twice at full duration should add about 900 dps in an STF.

As an Engineer, you also have Nadion Inversion to utterly negate the power drain from BO1, so use NI before BO1 (obviously don't use it alongside EPS or you'll be reducing the amount of BOs you can fire off). Check your NI's duration - if it's longer than 30 seconds you'll be able to get two blasts from BO1 out of it. Also carry Weapon Batteries for when NI and EPS aren't available.

Primarily use BO1 to help pop shields, because the hanger of Elite Scorps will spit out Heavy Plasma torpedoes. Fighters primarily deal damage via torpedoes, so not taking down shields will cost you DPS. Using it alongside the Quantum Phaser is just an attack of opportunity thing - so long as I'm using EPS, I may as well also fire BO1.

Grav Well 3 will also help your fighters' HY plasma torps, and help teammates with AoEs too. Spec'ing Particle Generator will increase the Grav Well's kinetic damage (I think I got 1000 dps) as well as Quantum Phaser and (if you have it) Borg Tractor Beam damage.

Otherwise, park 2-3km from your victim and just blast away. TSS3, HE2, and the healing field means you can provide decent help to your allies. Along with RSF and Miracle Worker, you'll be surprisingly tough. Don't get cocky and be quick to pop heals, the only times I've died in an eSTF while in a Vesta was from thinking "Oh, I can wait another 1-2 seconds and the enemy will die". Your fighters on Intercept with counter invisible torpedoes, and the only other spike comes from Negh'var Isometric charges which will bounce off your fighters and then obliterate you with 6 digits of damage. C'est la vie.

The above build/tactic gave me around 6k DPS in eSTFs, including the 1k from the fighters. (Parsed multiple times using ACT with Hilbert's v2012 plug-in.)

Addendum:

When I used 3 Aux cannons and the same aft weapons, there was a notable decrease in DPS. Aux cannons are for if you slot in a Sci BOff for the Lt Cdr universal station. I used the ship like a heavy destroyer, so didn't use them. You could even put a Tac BOff into the Lt Cdr, further negating Aux Cannons but you'd be really, really squishy.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk

Last edited by darkjeff; 01-31-2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Added Addendum