Lt. Commander
# 1 Scrap starships and refunds
01-31-2013, 12:52 PM
There are some starships like the dreadnaught, I no longer use.

It would be really great, if you could scrap the old obsolete ships and get a small refund. 25% of original Zens would be fair, but I would take anything reasonable: Dillithium, EC, ... In a certain way I will still lose money, but I'd make that sacrifice if I get something in return. Even common duty officers give you 1 Dillithium when you kick them.

I think Cryptic is missing on a lot of cash, since me and I guess many other players skip on new ships because they would directly substitute older ships in the inventory, making them obsolete. In my case it would be e.g. the Vesta pack I'd like to buy, but the Vesta would make my Intrepid retroretroretrofit useless. But if I could return all the Intrepid variants and bridges I once bought and get 100,000 Dillithium as refund, I would totally buy the Vesta pack.
Ensign
# 2
01-31-2013, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong1fu1panda View Post

It would be really great, if you could scrap the old obsolete ships and get a small refund. 25% of original Zens would be fair, but I would take anything reasonable: Dillithium, EC, ... In a certain way I will still lose money, but I'd make that sacrifice if I get something in return. Even common duty officers give you 1 Dillithium when you kick them.

I think Cryptic is missing on a lot of cash, since me and I guess many other players skip on new ships because they would directly substitute older ships in the inventory, making them obsolete. In my case it would be e.g. the Vesta pack I'd like to buy, but the Vesta would make my Intrepid retroretroretrofit useless. But if I could return all the Intrepid variants and bridges I once bought and get 100,000 Dillithium as refund, I would totally buy the Vesta pack.
Cryptic "NEVER" refunds anything. I know this as an associate of mine had purchases made on their account, found out about it, reported it, asked for a refund, and was denied - they lost over 6000 points because someone got on their game and said "Oh, that looks neat" (the purchases were abominable).

Being able to "TEST" ships before a purchase has been requested more than once and never considered. Had it been considered it would have been put in game, likely as a "holo- eck simulation" (as that is as reasonable excuse as any - to quote my associate "Kobayashi Maru anyone?"). It goes in line with that "never refunds anything" mantra.

The non-zen standard ships should be account-wide unlocks and the zen store ships should be reduced in price 50-80% AND either made to level with the player OR all made into VA rank ships.

"But but, that'll make things harder for cryptic to make money!" No it won't. It'll make it easier for the players to enjoy the game and won't any impact on the ridiculous dilithium sink economy Cryptic has created and artificially retarded with its dilithium recycling limitations and over-inflated item prices.
Career Officer
# 3
01-31-2013, 02:44 PM
Quote:

Ships bought from the c-store can be dismissed and reclaimed at will for free... Not sure what you're asking for here...
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2013, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antovaras View Post
Ships bought from the c-store can be dismissed and reclaimed at will for free... Not sure what you're asking for here...
I mean really say farewell to a ship, get a small refund, but not being able to reclaim it unless you buy it again.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2013, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smki View Post
Cryptic "NEVER" refunds anything. I know this as an associate of mine had purchases made on their account, found out about it, reported it, asked for a refund, and was denied - they lost over 6000 points because someone got on their game and said "Oh, that looks neat" (the purchases were abominable).

Being able to "TEST" ships before a purchase has been requested more than once and never considered. Had it been considered it would have been put in game, likely as a "holo- eck simulation" (as that is as reasonable excuse as any - to quote my associate "Kobayashi Maru anyone?"). It goes in line with that "never refunds anything" mantra.

The non-zen standard ships should be account-wide unlocks and the zen store ships should be reduced in price 50-80% AND either made to level with the player OR all made into VA rank ships.

"But but, that'll make things harder for cryptic to make money!" No it won't. It'll make it easier for the players to enjoy the game and won't any impact on the ridiculous dilithium sink economy Cryptic has created and artificially retarded with its dilithium recycling limitations and over-inflated item prices.
You are talking about 100% refund. I am talking about getting a refund that is only worth 1% or 0.1% of the original price (25% would be better but unrealistic). This would give me enough motivation to kick the old ships out and buy new ones.
Career Officer
# 6
01-31-2013, 07:55 PM
Quote:
You are talking about 100% refund. I am talking about getting a refund that is only worth 1% or 0.1% of the original price (25% would be better but unrealistic). This would give me enough motivation to kick the old ships out and buy new ones.
Once purchased, C-Store ships can be claimed repeatedly without any cost on any of your characters. If you're also allowed a refund for even 0.1% of the original price, players will be able to take advantage of this and repeatedly claim refunds until they have an infinite amount of money. Clearly this is a bad idea.
@RogueEnterprise: "Interesting take on the Kobiyashi Maru test"
@Evil70th: "Despite starting out a little slow it picks up quite rapidly and becomes a roller coaster ride of a mission with some great twists and turns."
@ashtaku: "Absolutely top-notch. Innovative writing, impeccable set design, fun from start to finish."
Captain
# 7
01-31-2013, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsical View Post
Once purchased, C-Store ships can be claimed repeatedly without any cost on any of your characters. If you're also allowed a refund for even 0.1% of the original price, players will be able to take advantage of this and repeatedly claim refunds until they have an infinite amount of money. Clearly this is a bad idea.
How so? You're putting in real money to buy these C-Store ships, and than you get a small, almost insignificant portion of Dil or ECs back. How is that "infinite money"? (Other than "infinite money" for Cryptic).

stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More!
IMO: Season 9 was the best season, Devs were right to focus on bugfixing. Roll back Delta Rising to that.
Captain
# 8
02-01-2013, 12:32 AM
I think what he wants is the ability to return the starship "license" to the C-Store and get refunded fully/partially.

So it would work like this:

~Player buys ship from C-Store for 2000. Player claims ship on 2 characters.
~Player decides that he no longer wants the ship, and dismisses it on both the characters, and discards any equipment that came with it (ie cloaking devices, consoles).
~Player is now able to return the ship license to the C-Store and is refunded the purchase price of the ship (2000 zen). They can now no longer claim the ship on any characters, but can buy something new from the store and the zen can only be used in the C-store.
~Player buys a different ship and is now happier.

In the above situation, Cryptic loses exactly nothing. The player still bought the zen (or got it via dilithium/stipend). The player is now happy that they dont have a ship they hate, and they can get something new that they may like better. Everybody wins.
Captain
# 9
02-01-2013, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amayakitsune View Post
I think what he wants is the ability to return the starship "license" to the C-Store and get refunded fully/partially.

~Player decides that he no longer wants the ship, and dismisses it on both the characters, and discards any equipment that came with it (ie cloaking devices, consoles).
~Player is now able to return the ship license to the C-Store and is refunded the purchase price of the ship (2000 zen). They can now no longer claim the ship on any characters, but can buy something new from the store and the zen can only be used in the C-store.

In the above situation, Cryptic loses exactly nothing. The player still bought the zen (or got it via dilithium/stipend). The player is now happy that they dont have a ship they hate, and they can get something new that they may like better. Everybody wins.
Cryptic doesn't lose nothing here, actually. If the player got a 100% refund in Zen for returning a ship, then they could keep returning their old ships whenever they want to buy a new ship, recycling that same Zen instead of buying new ships for new Zen.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2013, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amayakitsune View Post

Not 100% refund!!!!!!!!!!!! Only 10% or maybe only 1% refund!! Possibly refund in Dillithium or EC. Clearly Cryptic would never go for a 100% ZEN refund deal. Otherwise you are the first one who has understood what I actually meant .

Last edited by gong1fu1panda; 02-01-2013 at 01:25 AM.