Ensign
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 13
# 161
01-31-2013, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngazman View Post
If Cryptic has any sense, they'll take the servers offline until they can get some more to take the strain. I love how they've toted that there are 2 million individual accounts, but there's now a queue of 4000 people who can't play.
Oh come now, that isn't like Cryptic at all.

They'll keep using these rather low capacity servers until they die of continuous overloads.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 58
# 162
01-31-2013, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentgreasy View Post
You showed up later. Get over it.
Your analogy is flawed. I payed for a seat, others did not. I bought a lifetime sub, when the game was not F2P. I invested in this game before it was ever released. i would like to not be sitting in queu while f2p players are playing, then have the Queue lock up after waiting for 20 minutes. This is simple math, figure the pop, figure the server load. This is a 3 year old game, not launch.
Ensign
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 13
# 163
01-31-2013, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngazman View Post
The fact of the matter is that this has happened in the past and they hadn't the foresight nor the hindsight to take steps to prevent it happening again.

And as far as I can tell, the fact that the lifers are already jumping to the front of this 10k queue is going to be more than enough to divide the player base. Neither what I said nor what Cryptic will do is a reasonable solution and neither will likely have an acceptabe outcome, because the truth is this should never have been a potential issue in the first place.
I wholeheartedly agree with this.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 51
# 164
01-31-2013, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngazman View Post
If I came across all "If I can't play, no one can!" then sorry, that wasn't what I was insinuating. However, this is an extremely popular, free-to-play game. So to find that this is their backup plan for heavy demand is extremely dissapointing. The queue is now fast surpassing ten thousand people and there's been no word from Devs or Brandon on the issue. Okay, so they buy new servers and then after the event ends, traffic goes back to normal. It's still prudent to invest in extra servers now because there's something coming in May that will no doubt have people clamouring at the gates to get online for. The fact of the matter is that this has happened in the past and they hadn't the foresight nor the hindsight to take steps to prevent it happening again.

And as far as I can tell, the fact that the lifers are already jumping to the front of this 10k queue is going to be more than enough to divide the player base. Neither what I said nor what Cryptic will do is a reasonable solution and neither will likely have an acceptabe outcome, because the truth is this should never have been a potential issue in the first place.
Lifers do get priority, and pay-per-months behind that, and then free to players. That is nothing new, and never will be new. That is absolutely one of the values of being a paying customer, you are - to the absolute degree of POSSIBILITY - entitled to be ahead of those that do not. This is not a new concept, no matter where you go. You see it with airlines, with themeparks, you see it all over the place where the potential for influx and lines is reason enough to act as a catalyst to subscription rates.

There is no math capable of predicting human decisions that is capable of predicting the need for adding servers, especially when historically speaking this has never happened before. The reality is, we do not know what or why, only what is in front of us. Capacity is a hypothetical variable that is neither predictable nor capable of being sufficiently prepared for.

What you desire is expected and is not wrong - there is no reason you shouldn't want to play, and obviously you do. But there is no reasonable amount of work that cryptic could do to satisfy the satiating demand forever. This is, and forever will be, one of the major problems of the internet. Handling demand is nearly impossible as what is hitting a wall is rarely only one thing. While you may see a situation that potentially needs maybe 2 or 3 servers, could easily be 20 or 30. Is it the databases? Is it the map servers themselves? Is it the account server alone, or is it all three of these? Is it the router, is it the network? This could be disk i/o or bandwidth. It could very well be an issue where the ONLY solution is to funnel players until the demand dies down.

Hidden within the demands that you and others make is the clearer problem at hand: communication is lacking and no one is there to say this or that is the problem and just be patient.

However, if people would prefer to simply drill this down to the smallest or simplest of carnal desires to which everyone continues to say "they're playing and I'm not!" then it is simple to spin that around and feign the opposite... "look at all of those playing right now, we don't need to."

The demands of both sides are, without consequence, far deeper than those simple reactionary attempts at eliciting resolution to the party that screams the loudest... but mind to the actual realities of the problem are far from that.

Adding in enough servers to compensate for the event horizon of the current capacity struggle, could very well take just as long (though probably longer) than implementing a sit and wait policy that is already there.

Consider that, in earnest, a single server will probably take 4-5 hours to set up, and the easy estimation that even with 10 people doing 1 server each, that is 4-5 hours to set up - and then additionally placing them in the cluster, validating hardware responsiveness, and further implementing them into the system and allowing the cluster to expand into them, the process could -very- easily reach beyond 3 full days of work.

This isn't something where you take a bunch of heavy duty machines, plug them into the network, and instantly gain the ability to handle another million users.

The reasonable situations are simply the fact that we are in an unreasonable situation and no solution makes any one group happy, but mathematically it stands to reason that the smaller of the groups is the groups waiting to get on. And that... above all else.. is one of Spock's own famous quotes. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 441
# 165
01-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentgreasy View Post
So... you play 24/7/365? You paid for a lifetime subscription, did you not? Do you expect to play it until you die?

The people that paid, that are playing, are they being GIVEN more than you are?

Hell, lets apply this to real life.

You pay for a ticket to a general admission only concert. Everyone paid the same amount. Some got there earlier and are in the front.

Are they getting more, or less, than what they paid for? And are you being screwed? Is it the venue's fault? Should they maid front row seating the only seating, so that everyone is perpetually equal?

You showed up later. Get over it.
While I agree with your reasoning, unfortunately, your argument is lost on the heaps of entitled nerd rage here.

I learned a long time ago never to expect perfection....and if I don't like the service being rendered, it does no good to raise my blood pressure raging over it. I just move on.

EDIT: Surak is credited with the "needs of the many" quote". Spock just uses it a lot.
****
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting
Ensign
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 23
# 166
01-31-2013, 02:34 PM
I think you need to disable those poppers. People are starting to purposely cause lag issues by standing in a room and inflating a ton of those freaking balloons.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 46
# 167
01-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothejourny View Post
Oh come now, that isn't like Cryptic at all.

They'll keep using these rather low capacity servers until they die of continuous overloads.
Sounds like a lot of MMO companies these days, but this is the worst I've experienced in a while.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 51
# 168
01-31-2013, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowqfah View Post
Your analogy is flawed. I payed for a seat, others did not. I bought a lifetime sub, when the game was not F2P. I invested in this game before it was ever released. i would like to not be sitting in queu while f2p players are playing, then have the Queue lock up after waiting for 20 minutes. This is simple math, figure the pop, figure the server load. This is a 3 year old game, not launch.

You don't get the ability to kick players who are already online. You never paid for that. All you paid for, is the ability to access the game at a priority, whereby if free to players were in front of you in line, you would get a priority access - not the ability to just log in at any given point if the capacity isn't there.

You cannot blame the f2p players for this, and as reasonable as you may believe you are trying to be, your investment does not guarantee anything other than access - to believe otherwise simply means you didn't actually read what you paid for - and you may want to go read that agreement again before you start spitting off demands on entitlement. It is section 18, if you need help finding it.

It should also, while pain you, serve you benefit to know that, lifetime and standard subscriptions get no different rights - only liftetime is granted veteran rewards in a different matter. As far as service goes, you are held in no different regard. The only thing we get as paying customers, is priority login over the free to play people - what you may not realize is that those people in front of you pay too.

But hey, you know what, I'm online... you go on spitting things about entitlement. Since you know, this post was entirely about that, and not about diagnosing the lag we were all encountering in game.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 51
# 169
01-31-2013, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewstelamon01 View Post
While I agree with your reasoning, unfortunately, your argument is lost on the heaps of entitled nerd rage here.

I learned a long time ago never to expect perfection....and if I don't like the service being rendered, it does no good to raise my blood pressure raging over it. I just move on.

EDIT: Surak is credited with the "needs of the many" quote". Spock just uses it a lot.
I know, but more remember Spock than Surak. Was like wrath erased all the prior uses :|
Lieutenant
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 51
# 170
01-31-2013, 02:45 PM
On a positive note, and back on topic, my rubberbanding and map transitions stopped going bonkers :|
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:20 AM.