Rihannsu
Alright guys, as many of your know there's a lot of maps in the Foundry that are basically useless because they're so tiered, you really can't place objects in certain places on a horizontal map and be sure you're getting it where it needs to go vertically.

When the Foundry first launched, the way around this was to use the /LOC command line to get the exact placement of where you were standing so you could put your objects in the right place.

Well then someone decided to change all the Foundry measurements to something else, making /LOC entirely useless unless converted with math. What I'm trying to figure out is, what do I need to divide by to get the appropriate number here?

And Foundry devs, why can't we get this functionality built into the Foundry itself so we don't HAVE to do this? Without it, there are SEVERAL maps that are damn near impossible to build on.
I am a Cheestah.
Check out my Foundry missions
Fed: "To Helna and Back", "Rema Donna", "Animations with Helna", "Mudd's Weapons", "Waiting for Wednesday", "Monolith"
KDF: "Time the Enemy", "Time the Ally", "Time the Traitor"
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
01-28-2013, 11:00 AM
provisionally it seems to be (<loc number> / 3.281) = real number. Now if this isnt 100% precise I welcome a refining of it, additionally I welcome this being implemented in the back end so that math isnt required everytime you want to use it
Captain
# 3
01-28-2013, 11:23 AM
I just divide the X and Z by 3.28. The Y value is unreliable. I don't think there is a math trick for it.
Rihannsu
# 4
01-28-2013, 11:41 AM
It's simple... /loc reports coordinates in feet. Just convert from feet to meters using one of the formulas kirk and castsbugc posted. I'm not sure what the y value it reports is relative to.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 5
01-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
It's simple... /loc reports coordinates in feet. Just convert from feet to meters using one of the formulas kirk and castsbugc posted. I'm not sure what the y value it reports is relative to.
I think of the random Y number (usually something like 1176) as a guess of how many times I'm going to preview that map.
Career Officer
# 6
01-28-2013, 03:53 PM
I love you guys.
All of you.
I want to give you a big group hug.
I learned something new today.
Thanks
Captain
# 7
01-28-2013, 04:17 PM
I made a tutorial on this. It saves me a lot of time. It's not fun to do, but it really does save time.

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/tra...ect-placement/
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Nothing beats the freecam showcampos duo during streamlined map building. You have to know what you are doing thou.
Captain
# 9
01-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Has anyone else had to deal with the glitch when you build up in the sky an place all the objects at the same level say y= 900 for example and the building platform your using as the floor renders like 10 levels below everything else. I end up having to give the building block a higher y value just to make it match up.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 10
01-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolninspace View Post
Has anyone else had to deal with the glitch when you build up in the sky an place all the objects at the same level say y= 900 for example and the building platform your using as the floor renders like 10 levels below everything else. I end up having to give the building block a higher y value just to make it match up.
You have your y set relative to the terrain, maybe. If it's relative to absolute zero then 900 should be the same for each thing.