Career Officer
If there is a war going on with the Foundry, then I am totally unaffected by it.

I have spent the holiday season and time after the holiday season getting my Fleet's role play show ready for the new season.

Based on the new story criteria that was introduced on the last Season update in November, I had to sit down and analyze what in our Foundry productions needed to be changed.

I have spent the last 8 weeks analyzing this change.

Structurally, I do not think our show needs many changes structurally to comply with the new specifications. Last season, or the time between August 2012 and December 2012, we had decided to produce our shows on a scene level. This allowed people in our fleet and Role Play Show to cut up the story in the method best for their individual playing time.

We also wanted to produce the shows so that they would fit into the Daily Officer Report missions. The requirement is to be able to play 3 stories within 1 hour of time.

That was a tough requirement because, you had to write the story in 3 Acts, and you needed to be able to have the player or group of players leap into a story with minimal exposition, and minimal combat difficulty. This meant the screenplay had to be written under 45 pages. If each page of screenplay represents 1 minute of time, then a producer would have to time the task perfectly to account for a skilled and non-skilled player to have them complete all three parts with enough time to turn it in for the reward.

So, without having any written or posted specifications for the new Foundry changes, we had to run some experiments. To date, I do not really know what the specifications are. I am going on the theory that the story has to be played enough time by other people to qualify. However, the Foundry does not have any tool that allows for the producer to see how many people played the mission. The only statistics we have are: how many people left a review, and how many people rated the production.

So, this season, I have decided to continue with the way we produced shows last season. However, we will write each part as an Act. This way, each Act will have 3 scenes with a running time of about 5 minutes a scene. That means a complete Act will be 15 minutes in length. So, 3 Acts should be a total of 45 minutes to play. Or, each Act will be around 15 pages in length and a total show will be a 45 page screenplay.

Three Acts will cost 3 Foundry slots to produce which is 10,000 dilithium for 4 slots, or 2,500 dilithium per Act for a total of 7,500 Dilithium.

The production time for me is around 2 hours of production time per 5 page screenplay. So a 15 page screenplay or 15 minute screenplay will take me about 6 hours to produce. And the entire episode or 3 Acts will take 18 hours to produce.

I plan to produce 1 Act a week or 1 Episode per month on Friday night for our role play group.

For the people feuding, I really had no idea that was going on.

Thank you.

Last edited by klytemnestra1; 02-04-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Rihannsu
# 2
02-04-2013, 04:01 AM
there is no war. the forums tends to latch onto names to describe things. there is some arguments going about the rating systems, exploit and grind missions. some feathers are getting ruffled and its getting a bit heated. if you dont come to the forums then you would never even know.

its no worse that just about every other touchy subject over the last 3 years.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 3
02-04-2013, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
its no worse that just about every other touchy subject over the last 3 years.
There I must disagree. Several author's entire mission libraries have been destroyed. I personally have 6 missions that will need to be deleted entirely because of this since they have been bombed into oblivion and have no hope of ever being played again.
Rihannsu
# 4
02-04-2013, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner View Post
There I must disagree. Several author's entire mission libraries have been destroyed. I personally have 6 missions that will need to be deleted entirely because of this since they have been bombed into oblivion and have no hope of ever being played again.
ok, fair point. it affects everyone differently.

i dont check every single person review count, so obviously some will be affected more than others.

Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2013, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner View Post
Easy, withdraw, import, republish. Clean slate. Have 5 buddies on line to rate them to say 4.1 right after publishing. Front row missions get downrated faster, but if you hide it in the top-mid section then you have some chance of evading the 1 stars. Keep doing it until you score enough reviews to keep the mission afloat against multiple 1 stars.
You lose positive reviews in the process, but such is life.

I did that until I got my best missions in the top rated section.

Funny part is about ratings that whoever came first or have a bunch or followers have a tremendous advantage. The more 4-5 ratings you have, the more resilient the mission is to 1 stars. This results that the content of the top rated missions were pretty much unchanged for months.

Last edited by pendra3780; 02-04-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Career Officer
# 6
02-04-2013, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
there is no war....
I don't know about that. Granted, I've only been around STO since mid-season 6, but I have been on various other forums and while there is always an element of trolling and nastiness, I've never seen it this bad. Multiple threads attacking the other position. Bombing runs against the enemy. No actual RL gunshots fired (at least I certainly hope not! ), but all the available means of hurting the opponent are in use.

Seems like a war to me.

Porthos is not amused.
Rihannsu
# 7
02-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
I don't know about that. Granted, I've only been around STO since mid-season 6, but I have been on various other forums and while there is always an element of trolling and nastiness, I've never seen it this bad. Multiple threads attacking the other position. Bombing runs against the enemy. No actual RL gunshots fired (at least I certainly hope not! ), but all the available means of hurting the opponent are in use.

Seems like a war to me.
I've been here since the start and ive seen stuff that makes this look timid. real vile, nasty stuff. perhaps ive become somewhat desensitised to it all over the years, although i appreciate that 1 staring missions or reporting missions is unique to the foundry and slightly different to just throwing words back and fourth in the past.

i still dont like the word war. to me it escalates the feel of the problem. im trying to push people away from that concept.

Commander
# 8
02-04-2013, 08:19 AM
I justwant to applaud the impressive organizational skills of the OP.

EDIT: Closed because I know where this is going. Thanks for the feedback, though. -Brandon
Leave nerfing to the professionals.

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 02-04-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Closed Thread