Career Officer
# 91
02-01-2013, 02:04 PM
I have no lag or framerate slowdowns or other, due to the balloons.

Don't blame cryptic for your slow pc, Cryptics graphic engine for STO is hardly stressing, try running Far Cry 3 or Crysis 3 at maxed out graphics settings on a large display :p
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Career Officer
# 92
02-01-2013, 02:05 PM
For all the people saying the balloons are causing lag... I disagree.

All you have to do is type /showfps 1 and you will see your framerate at the top right corner of the screen. I tested this last night and did not see any lag from the balloons.. even when everyone in the room was firing them off.

But then again, perhaps my graphics card of 2 years ago can handle it..

ATI Radeon? HD 5570 Sapphire PCIe x16 Gen 2.0 1024
my new saying is "cryptic made me do it" in lieu of the the "devil"
Member since January 2010. I AM NOT A PWE FAN!!!!
Ensign
# 93
02-01-2013, 02:05 PM
My PC is fine that is not the issue. But thanks for the troll.
Lieutenant
# 94
02-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adorkabledori View Post
Lols, seems you know my system so well ??? It's a fresh install from yesterday. There is no much clutter on it.

I hate to say it, but he's right. Just from RAM alone, you shouldn't have any problems. The card added on top of that, you shouldn't have frame rate drops at all. I'm on an AMD A6 integrated card on a laptop, and I don't perform as bad as the way you're describing. Clutter may not be the problem, but something is the problem and its not STO. The graphics on STO haven't changed much from launch - they've improved but not in overall demand to hardware requirements. You are well beyond them with that machine.

That being said, some cards don't handle certain post-processing effects very well with high onscreen activity. It could be a setting set too high in STO. All the same, it could be a setting in the card's control panel... too much FSAA and no separation between what the game wants and what the card wants, can over do it.

Just some friendly advice before you dismiss what he was saying.
Career Officer
# 95
02-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Specify what kind of lag then

Do you think balloons are causing net lag? or framerate lag?

For me, as stated, neither are occurring due to lots of balloons.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Career Officer
# 96
02-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfomega View Post

All you have to do is type /showfps 1 and you will see your framerate at the top right corner of the screen. I tested this last night and did not see any lag from the balloons.. even when everyone in the room was firing them off.

it really sounds like a server issue to be honest. did you see that guys specs compared to mine? im out performing his system. maybe his net is bad? who knows.
Lieutenant
# 97
02-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfomega View Post

Your card is well beyond the requirements of the game. The bus alone is years ahead of what the game was developed for.

My FPS drops to about 4, give or take a couple frames, when baloons impact my machine. The switch from hardware to software rendering is pretty quick, especially since the integrated card gives up quickly when the memory demands of the cpu start to sap away the memory assigned to the card.

There is an easy chance that some who think the lag they have from baloons is actually the lag thats been affecting the servers lately, but there are going to be some of us that have framerate issues with the baloons.
Career Officer
# 98
02-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentgreasy View Post
Your card is well beyond the requirements of the game. The bus alone is years ahead of what the game was developed for.

My FPS drops to about 4, give or take a couple frames, when baloons impact my machine. The switch from hardware to software rendering is pretty quick, especially since the integrated card gives up quickly when the memory demands of the cpu start to sap away the memory assigned to the card.

There is an easy chance that some who think the lag they have from baloons is actually the lag thats been affecting the servers lately, but there are going to be some of us that have framerate issues with the baloons.
laptops are more difficult to upgrade, but an integrated graphics card on a PC can be disabled in lieu of a new purchase.. not sure if that applies to you.
my new saying is "cryptic made me do it" in lieu of the the "devil"
Member since January 2010. I AM NOT A PWE FAN!!!!
Captain
# 99
02-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Even if they created zero lag they're still obnoxious and create junk all over the place that never seems to go away. I already can't go to Drozana anymore because of the stupid people with zero manners, and now ESD is just as annoying. What fool thought the game needed another trolling tool?
Career Officer
# 100
02-01-2013, 02:15 PM
well im not really sure whats going on, if balloons are hurting people, (who knows who cares type thing for me ) ill make sure i will not use it around esd. when im on a ground mission or ground pvp ill use it there. it is a fun toy and just like every party popper created it will go into the bank at some point. these things do get old a bit fast for most players.