Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 742
# 291
02-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonwatnam View Post
The same people intentionally derail stfs, spam character abilities, ect. You can't "bug fix" these issues. Being responsive to complaints regarding specific players is the only answer.
Simple fix would be just to make it so that when I put someone on ignore it never auto groups me with them, and not only do I not see what they type, I can't see them or their effects at all.

But that sounds like more work than Cryptic is willing to put in.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91851990000&dateline=  1341951426
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 220
# 292
02-07-2013, 07:50 PM
the minority is the people who complain. and since the forum represents a very small percentage of players, and only a small number of that small number are complaining, it's safe to say that the complainers are definitely the minority.

for the record, i, an outspoken balloon lover, am on a low end machine. dual core amd 2.2ghz, and a 50 dollar gfx card. i've adjusted my settings just to be able to play the game, and after about 5 minutes in-game, i get that low memory, running on reduced textures message. and i love the balloons, especially the huge ones. if the lag is too much, or i've got "important" things to do... i change instances.
Fleet: Stargate-Union
Pizza: Pepperoni
Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 31
# 293
02-07-2013, 08:02 PM
If you are getting lag like I am when 10 people all start firing them at once in a confined space,

just go to the Game Settings,
[Video] settings,
tick "Show Advanced Settings"

then set Max Physics Debris Objects to 0.

Screenshot: http://www.potholestudios.com/Forums...d/id=1129.html
This setting will stop any balloons from appearing.
Have Fun!
_______________________________________________
5,000+ Hours in STO? Yes, Yes i do.

Fleet Leader of "Icarus Factor" - The official fleet of Pothole Studios.
STO Guides for your Android? Yes. Yes we do. STO Guides - Google Play.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,069
# 294
02-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
i have a pretty good system, probably better than the average player and usually they are fine. until i found someone filled up DS9 cargo hold with about a hundred and then even mine started to struggle.

perhaps they just need a shorter life cycle. so they dont stick around too long.
or perhaps those balloons/physics should use the GPU not CPU.
I hate when my graphics card sits in the pc cold and unused (till I see a patch of white glowing bloom which heats the graphics card and makes all programers facepalm) and everything else is done with the help of my CPU.I understand that they try to make the game work on laptops but seriously ....

P.S.and I always like to remember how the UI (which people will see more than balloons) is cpu heavy ,laggy ,ugly ,buggy and urgent need of change
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 553
# 295
02-08-2013, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzaj View Post
If you are getting lag like I am when 10 people all start firing them at once in a confined space,

just go to the Game Settings,
[Video] settings,
tick "Show Advanced Settings"

then set Max Physics Debris Objects to 0.

Screenshot: http://www.potholestudios.com/Forums...d/id=1129.html
This setting will stop any balloons from appearing.
Have Fun!
Yep, it is easy, problem is, people in this thread are saying they shouldn't have to do that.

But I disagree with them, I think you should, if your graphics settings are too high, and a new effect is not playable, then lower them. That is how PC gaming has worked, since forever.

So yes, I think you should have to turn down your graphics settings if your PC isn't capable of rendering them fast enough.

Do it, and the problem is solved, and everyone gets what they want, you don't get balloons, and the people that do want them, get them. It's in the users control that way.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 58
# 296
02-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
This. The solution is in your hands, party popper poopers.

Nobody's saying spend more money on your box; but use the settings to make what you have work. Games progress in their requirements over time; what worked last month might not work this month.
No. The real point is that Cryptic loves the Griefers, until everyone realizes that fact the lag poppers and the above advice will make no sense.

So, YOU adjust your settings, ignore the bugs and the griefers and keep farming, grinding and buying the pay2win toys. The poor griefers are only having fun...
... at your expense.

Sound about right?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 199
# 297
02-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by selraxxx View Post
Sound about right?
Nope. Because you've been told many, many times how to make the problem go away. As one of the above posters stated, adjusting your video settings for the best performance has been standard practice for gamers for decades (and as I've already stated, max phys. object settings really don't affect much of the game). Get over yourself - no one is trying to grief you. The people playing with the balloons are not even thinking about you. They're just having fun with a new toy.

Of course, this argument has been going on for so long, and people have become so entrenched in their positions, that I don't expect that any amount of rational arguments or civil debate will ever put an end to it. So go ahead, keep complaining about how Cryptic "loves the griefers". I'm sure that the devs spend many hours plotting in their underground lairs, drinking puppy blood and making sinister finger pyramids as they come up with new ways to annoy you.

Just don't expect anything to come of it. Whining and finger-pointing rarely gets results.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,065
# 298
02-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusforbeare View Post
Nope. Because you've been told many, many times how to make the problem go away. As one of the above posters stated, adjusting your video settings for the best performance has been standard practice for gamers for decades (and as I've already stated, max phys. object settings really don't affect much of the game). Get over yourself - no one is trying to grief you. The people playing with the balloons are not even thinking about you. They're just having fun with a new toy.

Of course, this argument has been going on for so long, and people have become so entrenched in their positions, that I don't expect that any amount of rational arguments or civil debate will ever put an end to it. So go ahead, keep complaining about how Cryptic "loves the griefers". I'm sure that the devs spend many hours plotting in their underground lairs, drinking puppy blood and making sinister finger pyramids as they come up with new ways to annoy you.

Just don't expect anything to come of it. Whining and finger-pointing rarely gets results.
Don't forget the mustache twirling and diabolical laughter!

Mwahahaa!!!!

Anyways, I did notice a minor bug with the balloon gun that makes it sometimes blow balloons out both ends. Sometimes giant balloons....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 68
# 299
02-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by selraxxx View Post
No. The real point is that Cryptic loves the Griefers, until everyone realizes that fact the lag poppers and the above advice will make no sense.

So, YOU adjust your settings, ignore the bugs and the griefers and keep farming, grinding and buying the pay2win toys. The poor griefers are only having fun...
... at your expense.

Sound about right?
What's bad is that poster is calling names as well, "party popper poopers"

The fact that he is a Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums should be noted.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,360
# 300
02-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusforbeare View Post
Because you've been told many, many times how to make the problem go away.
And that's really helpful after a room full of balloons has brought the game to a halt, leaving you unable to change instances or fiddle with graphics settings.

Nope, sorry. My system runs every other part of the game just fine, and it is not worth gimping the rest of it to accommodate some balloons. So, tough. You've been deprived of your griefing tool. Get over it.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:46 AM.