Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 199
# 301
02-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Again...

Reducing your max phys debris object settings won't gimp your game, because:

A) You don't have to set it to zero, just reduce it below 100. Many people have found that 10-25 works for them.

B) The number of places where the mechanic is used is extremely minimal. As far as I can tell, it only affects balloons and turret/device debris. Maybe starbase tribbles too.

Also, nice of you to assume that I'm running around spamming balloons in people's faces and trying to ruin their day. Just because I enjoy playing with the party popper on occasion does not, by extension, make me a griefer. But the fact that you're getting upset enough over this to resort to baseless assumptions and accusations of griefing is making me chuckle.

And lastly, no one's been deprived of anything. As I've said before, all the patch did was prevent us from moving while making balloons and slightly reduce their average size. We can still make as many as before, and some of them are even bigger than they used to be. So I'm not complaining.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,181
# 302
02-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
Yep, it is easy, problem is, people in this thread are saying they shouldn't have to do that.

But I disagree with them, I think you should, if your graphics settings are too high, and a new effect is not playable, then lower them. That is how PC gaming has worked, since forever.

So yes, I think you should have to turn down your graphics settings if your PC isn't capable of rendering them fast enough.

Do it, and the problem is solved, and everyone gets what they want, you don't get balloons, and the people that do want them, get them. It's in the users control that way.
You just don't understand. People who have no problems with their current settings except when balloons are flooding a room should not have to lower settings just so someone can be a annoying jerk. I have a little lagging issues with balloons (only when a room is filled up with them) but the fact they can fill a room making it hard to see is a problem. No one should have to change their setting that effect other things as well so someone can be a annoying jerk and fill up a room with balloons. The people who are filling up the room do so for just one reason and one reason only and that is to be annoying and piss people off.

A limit to how many balloons someone can have out at a time is the perfect solution. Rooms don't get filled up unless you have a bunch of people making balloons in the room something that would not happen much. People like to make balloons can have a few out and have fun with them.

Today I was on a Elite ground mission and someone started making a bunch of balloons during the mission instead of fighting. Annoyed the entire team. I am f'ing fed up with jerks in real life and it should be kept to a minimum in video games. Just the idea of jerks wining by making people either quit from being annoyed to much or forcing them to change their settings is not right and is BS.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 249
# 303
02-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
You just don't understand. People who have no problems with their current settings except when balloons are flooding a room should not have to lower settings just so someone can be a annoying jerk. I have a little lagging issues with balloons (only when a room is filled up with them) but the fact they can fill a room making it hard to see is a problem. No one should have to change their setting that effect other things as well so someone can be a annoying jerk and fill up a room with balloons. The people who are filling up the room do so for just one reason and one reason only and that is to be annoying and piss people off.

A limit to how many balloons someone can have out at a time is the perfect solution. Rooms don't get filled up unless you have a bunch of people making balloons in the room something that would not happen much. People like to make balloons can have a few out and have fun with them.

Today I was on a Elite ground mission and someone started making a bunch of balloons during the mission instead of fighting. Annoyed the entire team. I am f'ing fed up with jerks in real life and it should be kept to a minimum in video games. Just the idea of jerks wining by making people either quit from being annoyed to much or forcing them to change their settings is not right and is BS.


ok, first let me say that i'm not trying to single you out personally. you're just the last person to spout this nonsense.

if you don't understand how computers work, or are unwilling to adapt to changing circumstances, then that's you're problem. you're no starfleet officer and you're not fit to wear that uniform. as someone else said, people with this attitude are so entrenched in their opinion that nothing will change it. that's why i said earlier "off with their heads". there's no reasoning with these stubborn people, they just need to die. as marge said "maybe death will stop your yammering".

if this were eve, i'd put together a force to seek out and destroy the lot of you, once and for all. you and your kind have become a dark spot on the universe itself, and need to be eradicated.

again, no offense to you personally
Fleet: Stargate-Union
Pizza: Pepperoni
Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,360
# 304
02-08-2013, 02:52 PM


Right there was the sort of person who should not be handed the ability to cause grief for others.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,181
# 305
02-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blevok View Post
ok, first let me say that i'm not trying to single you out personally. you're just the last person to spout this nonsense.

if you don't understand how computers work, or are unwilling to adapt to changing circumstances, then that's you're problem. you're no starfleet officer and you're not fit to wear that uniform. as someone else said, people with this attitude are so entrenched in their opinion that nothing will change it. that's why i said earlier "off with their heads". there's no reasoning with these stubborn people, they just need to die. as marge said "maybe death will stop your yammering".

if this were eve, i'd put together a force to seek out and destroy the lot of you, once and for all. you and your kind have become a dark spot on the universe itself, and need to be eradicated.

again, no offense to you personally
Yes it is nonsense that I don't want jerks to win.

Something needs to be done other then say just turn your settings down especially when the only problem comes from those balloons and only those balloons.

They should never of made those annoying balloons or make sure that they could never of been abused the way they have been to annoy people. They could of created a option that disables the visuals of other players balloons and have it set as active to start so people would not be annoyed and have to change their settings.

Like I had said I don't want to be forced to change settings that effect other stuff just so some jerk can be annoying.

Some jerk entering a Elite mission and making a bunch of balloons to annoy people with him knowing it will annoy people instead of fighting to complete the mission is the last straw.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 108
# 306
02-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Let us not forget, the flame thrower was removed from the game for this very reason
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 249
# 307
02-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
Yes it is nonsense that I don't want jerks to win.

Something needs to be done other then say just turn your settings down especially when the only problem comes from those balloons and only those balloons.
this is nothing new, and i cant understand why people cant understant that. games are always getting updates and expansions, and taking up more and more disk space, and memory, and graphic power. it's natural, and expected, and in fact desired. this game isn't a one shot proposition, intended to die with the current generation of computers. it is meant to evolve along with technology, to stay relevant and desirable, years after it was created. some dev even stated recently that there is no need for an sto2, because the game is continually improving with no end in sight.



Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
They should never of made those annoying balloons or make sure that they could never of been abused the way they have been to annoy people. They could of created a option that disables the visuals of other players balloons and have it set as active to start so people would not be annoyed and have to change their settings.
there is a setting for that... lower max physical objects... problem solved, dammit!
in a larger sense though, this is nothing. a few dozen balloons bother you? blah, blah, blah... go play second life for a while and see what it's like with 10,000 flying swastikas everywhere. there are no real griefers in sto.



Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
Like I had said I don't want to be forced to change settings that effect other stuff just so some jerk can be annoying.
its not about being forced to change settings. it's about the continuing process of fine tuning your system to suit youre personal preference, in relation to continuing additions to the game. also, refer to my first point in this post, about the game evolving and what not.




Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
Some jerk entering a Elite mission and making a bunch of balloons to annoy people with him knowing it will annoy people instead of fighting to complete the mission is the last straw.
ok, that is bad. i'm sure this was a pug though. join estf channel if you're serious about being serious.
Fleet: Stargate-Union
Pizza: Pepperoni
Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,183
# 308
02-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanover2 View Post
And that's really helpful after a room full of balloons has brought the game to a halt, leaving you unable to change instances or fiddle with graphics settings.

Nope, sorry. My system runs every other part of the game just fine, and it is not worth gimping the rest of it to accommodate some balloons. So, tough. You've been deprived of your griefing tool. Get over it.
Really? You can run around New Romulus with no slowdown whatsoever? I have to change my settings just to beam down...

turning down the debris setting is such a minor tweak that it doesn't count as "gimping" the game anyways.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 585
# 309
02-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Good feedback blevok. marshalericdavid we are just going around in circles at this point. I disagree with your stance on the need to turn down graphics if the demand is too high for your PC.

I'd like to add, this game will never evolve graphically, if when new features are added people complain they have to turn down graphics settings because their current performance goes down. What hope do we have for this game evolving in that sense. It's the same principal. I've heard the flamethrower was removed because of this reason. So there's a real-world thing we don't have in-game now, because people don't understand how new things can decrease performance, and thus they have to lower settings. But this is the game evolving, and we want to see it evolve. I fear if Cryptic panders to these individuals, this game will never evolve. And I want it to. WoW got DX11 support after a time. I fear STO may be stagnant because people don't understand how PC games, and MMO's in general, evolve and new graphics demand new performance.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us

Last edited by thedoctorbluebox; 02-08-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 559
# 310
02-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Not one to complain but since the 3year anniversary hit my computer literally crashes now when I am logged into STO trying to play! Coincidence, I think not... it only happens when I am in the game!
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:49 AM.