Go Back   Star Trek Online > The Foundry for Star Trek Online > The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback
Login

Closed Thread

Captain
# 11
02-01-2013, 06:33 AM
In reply to the majority of comments, by subject:

800K Credits:
I have multiple characters doing reputation, and I use the account bank to move my credits around so they can do it.

Merchant Bashing:
I personally have no issue with merchants, as I am a friend of two admitted Merchants. The problem I have is with the fact that they push inflation to insane levels. when I cant buy an item because inflation has increased it's price by THREE HUNDRED PERCENT, then I get angry. Because of players like this, I have about 8 Million credits to my name, and my ships are equipped with MK11 Rares, since the current mindset of purple items is "Purple=Expensive, durrr". I want to be able to enjoy this game, but that is impossible for me in it's current state.
Rihannsu
# 12
02-01-2013, 06:37 AM
Have you calculated the actual benefit of having MK12 consoles? It's not that great....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 13
02-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Have you calculated the actual benefit of having MK12 consoles? It's not that great....
I just stated it in my earlier post:

If five Tactical Consoles are in play, the difference between MK XI and MK XII is 9% ... that's HUGE. even with only Four Consoles, the difference is 7.6% and that is still very noticeable.
Captain
# 14
02-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Also the EC cost of the Rep system is not a big deal, I never even checked to see what it was costing the amounts are so piddling. Certainly you could make more than it cost collecting the junk from the Tau Dewa each day.
Not even close to correct. Tau Dewa if I earn as much as 90k credits I call it a very good day. If I get anything beyond a few consumables and a console that sells for 6k I am surprised. Three items worth over 20k has happened all of four times since reputation came out.

Meanwhile, piddling is not how I would define the costs:

Tier 3 (lower are less higher are more, this is dead middle):
Supplies/Research
45x large hypo = 14,400/day
30x major regenerators = 24,000/day
45x large shield = 14,400/day

colonization/sit.rep.
55x weather control systems = 33,000/day
20x seismic stabilizers = 20,000/day
65x industrial energy cells = 26,000/day
35x self sealing stem bolts = 28,000/day

total = 159,800/day per character

Finishing tier 5 costs a good bit more.

My 5 characters cost me just a hair under a million a day (three working towards tier 5, one in tier 2, one in tier 3). I cannot earn that without some pretty serious effort (currently selling doffs is my method).

Now, to me the core saving grace is #1 that next week two of them will be finished and #2 it's completely optional. I can stop paying whenever I want or just slow down.

It's not like reputation is a race. =)
Rihannsu
# 15
02-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Really? Purple MK11 has a 28.1% boost, and Purple MK12 has 30%. The difference is 1.9%. 1.9*5=9.5

But the total benefit is less than 9.5%. Why? The stacking is additive and also added to the boost you get from energy weapons proficiency. The exact relative benefit is dependant on your weapons proficiency.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 16
02-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Quote:
3: I played Diablo 2 enough to be able to easily compare the two. D2 crafting didn't cost gold(ec). But it required things that were a lot more valuable. Perfect gems were about as valuable as rare particle traces. High end Runes? Hehe.... Those cost a fortune, IF you could find them. So... high end crafting in D2 actually cost MORE.
One of the more interesting systems I know of is r une s cape. It may have changed since I stopped playing, but back when I did play the system had 99 skill levels in an exponential progressions (1 to 2 cost like 50 exp, 98 to 99 cost several million) and unlike most games higher level activities didn't give significantly more exp, but the low level ones never stopped giving anything. So for example in smithing you had tin, copper, iron, steel, mithril, adamant, runic as your metals. You could level to 99 with tin (gave something piddly like 1 exp per bar smelted, and up to 5 for armor), and it was virtually impossible to level with runic because there were only 4 nodes that dropped the right metal for it and they had 4 hour respawns and only gave like 500 exp per item. So the levelling used Iron as the fastest available in quantity with almost the highest exp payout (I think 25/bar and up to 200/item). This allowed lowbies to mass farm iron and sell to crafters. ALL of the skills worked this way with a low-to-middle commodity being the one in high demand for levelling, and the very top one, you only touched to craft usable gear and nothing else.

It was an interesting way to make lowbies help the high-end players that really funneled a lot of cash down to the new players.

I think the 10 dil unreplicatable material could work this way in STO, or the particle traces, but not enough of them are needed. The overly heavy focus on the 1000 dil unreps is what kills the opportunity.
Rihannsu
# 17
02-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinruneblade View Post
Not even close to correct. Tau Dewa if I earn as much as 90k credits I call it a very good day. If I get anything beyond a few consumables and a console that sells for 6k I am surprised. Three items worth over 20k has happened all of four times since reputation came out.

Meanwhile, piddling is not how I would define the costs:

Tier 3 (lower are less higher are more, this is dead middle):
Supplies/Research
45x large hypo = 14,400/day
30x major regenerators = 24,000/day
45x large shield = 14,400/day

colonization/sit.rep.
55x weather control systems = 33,000/day
20x seismic stabilizers = 20,000/day
65x industrial energy cells = 26,000/day
35x self sealing stem bolts = 28,000/day

total = 159,800/day per character

Finishing tier 5 costs a good bit more.

My 5 characters cost me just a hair under a million a day (three working towards tier 5, one in tier 2, one in tier 3). I cannot earn that without some pretty serious effort (currently selling doffs is my method).

Now, to me the core saving grace is #1 that next week two of them will be finished and #2 it's completely optional. I can stop paying whenever I want or just slow down.

It's not like reputation is a race. =)
you're paying too much... I can get 55 Weather control systems for 24750 ec.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Rihannsu
# 18
02-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinruneblade View Post
One of the more interesting systems I know of is r une s cape. It may have changed since I stopped playing, but back when I did play the system had 99 skill levels in an exponential progressions (1 to 2 cost like 50 exp, 98 to 99 cost several million) and unlike most games higher level activities didn't give significantly more exp, but the low level ones never stopped giving anything. So for example in smithing you had tin, copper, iron, steel, mithril, adamant, runic as your metals. You could level to 99 with tin (gave something piddly like 1 exp per bar smelted, and up to 5 for armor), and it was virtually impossible to level with runic because there were only 4 nodes that dropped the right metal for it and they had 4 hour respawns and only gave like 500 exp per item. So the levelling used Iron as the fastest available in quantity with almost the highest exp payout (I think 25/bar and up to 200/item). This allowed lowbies to mass farm iron and sell to crafters. ALL of the skills worked this way with a low-to-middle commodity being the one in high demand for levelling, and the very top one, you only touched to craft usable gear and nothing else.

It was an interesting way to make lowbies help the high-end players that really funneled a lot of cash down to the new players.

I think the 10 dil unreplicatable material could work this way in STO, or the particle traces, but not enough of them are needed. The overly heavy focus on the 1000 dil unreps is what kills the opportunity.
There are several items in STO you can craft for no UnReps. If all you want is leveling craft schematics and sell the extras on exchange.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Community Moderator
# 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by burstdragon323 View Post
Two: Crafting is not supposed to cost any kind of currency. There is no MMO that I play that forces me to spend currency to craft.
So, you don't play WoW or Rift then?
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Captain
# 20
Quote:
you're paying too much... I can get 55 Weather control systems for 24750 ec.
I have no ferengi nor a tuffli. But yes I could shave about 15% total by going to the right traders in space.

I do try to keep an eye out for them and buy in bulk the dump into my account bank and pull out as needed. And I do this for my klingons since they have no other access to the materials at all (except the exorbitant replicator price).

But hell some days I just need 10 more of something so I replicate it and pay almost double.

I wish commodities stacked to 999 and consumables too =) Then I could buy enough for the whole t1-t5 run in a single lump and fit it into my bank.

I've seriously given consideration to making a 1-man fleet so I can have access to 8 enormous bank slots then just filling it with everything I need for my doff missions and reputation for all characters.
Closed Thread