Career Officer
# 201
03-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Most of the listed issues are complicated, and would require hours or even days of testing, planning and prototyping potential ways to address them. Not much I could review/fix during a lunch break. Which I suppose could be seen as a good thing. But it means it's tough to find time to make any progress, right now.
That means you can only do balancing work and bugfixing during your personal time? You don't get official time for this? Why not? Who do we have to petition to get someone to work fulltime on these issues?

And just to make it clear: It would be perfectly fine with me if S8 was only about bugfixing and did not add a single bit of new content. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks like that.
http://hilbertguide.com
Captain
# 202
03-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Most of the listed issues are complicated, and would require hours or even days of testing, planning and prototyping potential ways to address them. Not much I could review/fix during a lunch break. Which I suppose could be seen as a good thing. But it means it's tough to find time to make any progress, right now.
Once May release is over, does that mean you will have more time for these issues with a dedicated team?
aka NazHuggyBear2

"No, there is no real problem with P2W in STO. Obviously, if you fight against someone with an equal level of skill in the game, better equipment will give you an edge. But usually, it is the skill level that determines the outcome, not the P2W." - Sprinkles
Rihannsu
# 203
03-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Sorry bort, but we have been hearing this for too long. Occe S5 is over, not enough coffee mugs, ...may update, after that it'll be the next big release.

I thought we have an anonymous pvp czar. Where is he or she. I m sorry that the game needs fixes that extend coffee breaks. Where do we carry our forks and torches, so someone will actually do this work as part of ..... you know their job. We're not in beta anymore.
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Career Officer
# 204
03-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
That means you can only do balancing work and bugfixing during your personal time? You don't get official time for this? Why not? Who do we have to petition to get someone to work fulltime on these issues?
We most likely have to petition the people in charge of money, marketing and whoever it is that answers to the line of people who answer to PWE shareholders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
And just to make it clear: It would be perfectly fine with me if S8 was only about bugfixing and did not add a single bit of new content. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks like that.
'

The question most likely comes down to ROI.

Maybe we could have SB projects that aren't costmetic but are instead for community wide bug fixes.

I'm sort of kidding, but it might actually get bugs fixed.

Anyway, a special thanks to Bort who stops in here and gives us updates in his spare time.

Commander
# 205
03-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Why isn't Subnucleonic Beam/Overpowered shield heals/resist listed as a PVP concern?

Sub Nuc is required to kill targets in PVP that receive ANY shield heals/resist because shield heals/resistances have gotten out of control.

A team full of Tacs will have a lot of difficulty killing any target that is being healed by self and teammates.

Since this is true, Sub Nuc is required to remove all of the buffs on the target in order to make them vulnerable. This lends to Sub Nuc being the most over-powered single skill in PVP...

If shield heals/resist weren't so insane, then we could see Sub Nuc changed to be more similar to the Nerfed "Sub Nuc," Doff... it's ridiculous to have any skill remove every single buff including teams on a target, yet it's required since shield heals/resist are so insane.

Note: there are other ways to take down targets with high shield resist/regen, i.e. power drain, but Sub Nuc is still by far the most effective and over-powered way to do it.

Sub Nuc cannot be changed unless this issue is looked at in total.
Career Officer
# 206
03-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naz4 View Post
02. Item: Tachyon Mines
Issue: Seem to be too powerful at stripping shields and hampering shield repair / regen

After having had the...pleasure...of experiencing the joy that are tachyon mines by a particular spammer over the weekend, I think the description of the issue should read:

Issue: Can completely remove all (?) shield facings in a single go, this is most likely a death sentence. The cost opportunity is exceedingly low, for sacrificing a single rear turret you can "poop out mines" that will totally remove an opponents shields.

Captain
# 207
03-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Add to the list the total unbalance between the 4 'emergency power to' abilities where EptShields is pretty much a necessity for about everyone, where Emergency power to Engines/Weapons are rather useless on most builds or far inferior to the effect that EptS gives.

10% base dmg increase for 5 seconds on EptW? rEally? lol.

And we all know unless u run a beam array broadsiding build EptW doesnt do much good.

The +power level on all abilities are rather balanced, Or equal even, its the second effect that is totally out of whack.

18% resist to shields and the shield power level increase on EptS for 30 seconds
10% dmg boost for 5 seconds and the power level increase isnt worthwhile on anything but a beam array broadside boat.

bad balance. What does EptA even do other then the power level boost? A tiny bit stealth detection increase for 5 secs? lol.

Last edited by darkfader1988; 03-06-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Captain
# 208
03-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedumb4eva View Post
Why isn't Subnucleonic Beam/Overpowered shield heals/resist listed as a PVP concern?

Sub Nuc is required to kill targets in PVP that receive ANY shield heals/resist because shield heals/resistances have gotten out of control.

A team full of Tacs will have a lot of difficulty killing any target that is being healed by self and teammates.

Since this is true, Sub Nuc is required to remove all of the buffs on the target in order to make them vulnerable. This lends to Sub Nuc being the most over-powered single skill in PVP...

If shield heals/resist weren't so insane, then we could see Sub Nuc changed to be more similar to the Nerfed "Sub Nuc," Doff... it's ridiculous to have any skill remove every single buff including teams on a target, yet it's required since shield heals/resist are so insane.

Note: there are other ways to take down targets with high shield resist/regen, i.e. power drain, but Sub Nuc is still by far the most effective and over-powered way to do it.

Sub Nuc cannot be changed unless this issue is looked at in total.
Sub nuc in theory is the most OP captain skill in game for the simply fact that its the only ability that can basically pwn any other ability/captain ability.

Fire off a SNB versus an alpha, the alpha disappears. Fire an alpha vs a subnuke, the target quickly snb's the alpha off anyway :p

its simple logicl. I always found it a rather cheap ability, because if you know how to use it its better then anything else. However its also a required and very important asset to a premade vs premade so yeah...

But on the other hand it has one weakness, play the waiting game and the sci gets too impatient and will fire the snb off at some point, and simply save your precious buffs for AFTER you are nuked
Career Officer
# 209
03-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Quote:
02. Item: Tachyon Mines
Issue: Seem to be too powerful at stripping shields and hampering shield repair / regen
Naz, when you have a chance perhaps you could include this post from Bort?

I haven't gone through and calculated the damage potential, but this post by Eradicator might also be relevant to the issue.

Quote:
07. Ability: Boarding Party
Issue: Too easily countered by tac teams and easily shot down
I think it's necessary to include the current interaction of this power with the DOFFs available that can put every ability on a ship on exceedingly long cooldowns.

I'm not fully aware how to recreate this, it most likely sounds like an exploit.

I also think these items should be on the list.

21. Ability: Temporal Inversion
Issue:
See quoted text.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird
The only counter to Temporal Inversion is more Temporal Inversion. The effect is massively debilitating to your entire [opponent's] team, and massively buffs the user. It's the single biggest I-win button in the game. Unless there's a massive mismatch, the team using Temporal Inversion will always win.

22. Ability: Graviton Pulse Generator
Issue:
See quoted text.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird
Technically GPG is countered by engineering team, the problem is that GPG is an AOE that can hit every single member on your team. If you want to take four or five engineering teams to reliably clear it you'll do so at the expense of severely weakening your team. If you don't have enough copies to reliably clear it from your entire team, the enemy can focus and kill whomever you weren't able to clear. The opportunity cost is one console slot to use GPG, and five copies of engineering team to clear it, which is far out of line.

Last edited by ussultimatum; 03-21-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Career Officer
# 210
03-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Abilities: Torpedo HY/Spread, Beam Overload

Issue: Recent changes (removal of torpedo global cooldown, introduction of energy drain resists for non-engineers via doffs) have introduced ways to use the damage potential that comes from "preloading" a HY/TS/BO, then waiting 15s, loading a second one and then firing both of them in rapid succession (occasionally even three, by firing slightly before the next 15s pass and the first comes off cooldown again). This was not possible in the original S1.2 implementation because of global cooldowns and massive power drain. Is this new damage potential working as intended?
http://hilbertguide.com