Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Career Officer
Is it a Beam, or is it a Cannon?

Because when I can use either Prefire Chambers or Directed Energy Distribution Manifold to augment its damage, so it doesent make sense to me. If I am going to use 8 console slots to make my Feedback pulse do more damage, I would like to know if it is a beam, or a cannon.

If it was a cannon skill, it would totally make sense that a Prefire Chamber would augment it, but if it were a beam, I suppose that Directed Energy Distribution Manifolds would augment it. I am confused because it cant possibly be a beam AND a cannon... could it???

Or is it neither a beam or a cannon, but a exotic particle science skill, thus only augmented by a Particle Generator console, which would almost make sense since no other single damage dealing skill in the game would be augmented by a posssible EIGHT whole console slots on one ship at a time. Now that I mention it, it sounds a little.... Oh, Pee. HMMM. You can see why I am confused.

I certainly wouldnt want to fix this if it wasnt working as intended. PVP has been flooded with all kinds of new players who can suddenly get a kill or two or last a moment in a fight, on account of their 8 console feedback pulse.

tl;dr?

Prefire Chambers and Directed energy Distribution Manifold consoles are boosting Feedback Pulse on top of particle generators, making the consequences for attacking someone quite extreme if during your attack they choose to activate feedback pulse, among other buffs.
Empire Veteran
# 2
06-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Just for clarification: You are saying that both Prefire Chamber consoles and Directed Energy Distribution Manifold consoles ARE boosting the power of Feedback Pulse, correct?

To answer your question, and the fact that we've seen a couple of FBP threads recently (which is interesting IMO), they aren't supposed to.

FBP is supposed to be affected by only the following:

Particle Gens skill
Particle Gens boosting equipment (consoles, deflectors, set bonuses, traits, etc)
The amount of damage resist on the opponent
Tac buffs (if a tac, also includes APO buff along with APB and APD debuffs)
EPTA (gives a bonus to particle gens nowadays)
It can also crit I believe.
EDIT: also, forgot that Aux power helps too.

I might be missing some other stuff. But if this is the case (nothing personal, but I think others should test it as well to be sure), then it is certainly a bug, and might explain this thread more: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=759161

Last edited by mimey2; 06-21-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 3
06-22-2013, 01:22 AM
the trick is to not fire at someone once you see just how buffed thier FBP is
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
# 4
06-22-2013, 03:14 AM
Well, we could avoid firing at someone with such a super FBP, and true, it can be nuked off.

Also, it's a fun punisher for people spamming AtB FaW.

However, the tac console interaction is a bit much. In fact, you can even get it to the point that you can reflect more damage than is being done to you. It should be looked into to see if it's working as intended.
Take it easy!

Ishmael@scurry5: A Nibbling Sci
"Squeak?"
Captain
# 5
06-22-2013, 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurry5 View Post
However, the tac console interaction is a bit much. In fact, you can even get it to the point that you can reflect more damage than is being done to you. It should be looked into to see if it's working as intended.
Not hard to do what without any Tac consoles

My record is 2.1... meaning it's dealing 2x the damage I'm taking.
The first we heard of getting new PvP maps "soon" was in August of 2010. We're consistently told something will be coming with the "next" update. Absolutely nothing has come to PvP since launch.

I think it's finally time Cryptic stopped stringing us along, don't you?
Captain
# 6
06-22-2013, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
Just for clarification: You are saying that both Prefire Chamber consoles and Directed Energy Distribution Manifold consoles ARE boosting the power of Feedback Pulse, correct?

To answer your question, and the fact that we've seen a couple of FBP threads recently (which is interesting IMO), they aren't supposed to.

FBP is supposed to be affected by only the following:

Particle Gens skill
Particle Gens boosting equipment (consoles, deflectors, set bonuses, traits, etc)
The amount of damage resist on the opponent
Tac buffs (if a tac, also includes APO buff along with APB and APD debuffs)
EPTA (gives a bonus to particle gens nowadays)
It can also crit I believe.
EDIT: also, forgot that Aux power helps too.

I might be missing some other stuff. But if this is the case (nothing personal, but I think others should test it as well to be sure), then it is certainly a bug, and might explain this thread more: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=759161
You left out the Sci space trait that iirc can stack to 30% boost to exotic damage, not sure if sensor analysis boosts it though.
[Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
Random Quote from Kerrat
"Sumlobus@****: your mums eat Iced Targ Poo"
C&H Fed banter
Captain
# 7
06-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxi5 View Post
Not hard to do what without any Tac consoles

My record is 2.1... meaning it's dealing 2x the damage I'm taking.
Well, OK then. But still, I bet that's with plenty of sacrifices. Just imagine what that'd be like with tac consoles....which would probably push things up to above 3x....which is frankly kind of nuts. Imagine a buff that could triple your damage....
Take it easy!

Ishmael@scurry5: A Nibbling Sci
"Squeak?"
Career Officer
# 8
06-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2wsucks View Post
You left out the Sci space trait that iirc can stack to 30% boost to exotic damage, not sure if sensor analysis boosts it though.
Yep.

It's an amazing trait too. 30% flat damage bonus at the top end is no joke.

Compare to APA (+50% dmg) as a Tac except it has no cooldown.*

*It also requires you to be shot, and only works on a very limited set of powers. Probably one of the better devised and implemented buffs I've seen in a while, being both useful, powerful in certain situations but also well balanced overall.

Starfleet Veteran
# 9
06-22-2013, 08:17 AM
EPTW seems to give a much larger damage boost then EPTA. Not the extra power but the damage bonus from EPTW boosts damage more then particle gens from EPTA.
Captain
# 10
06-22-2013, 09:45 AM
anyone remember the days when tac abilities boosted it insanely? like you could bait yourself with no shields pop everything then anything that shot you killed themselves?

people cried when that was taken away.

also, im not surprised that "tactical based things" still boost science damage more then science can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?