Ensign
# 1 LTS worth it?
01-31-2013, 03:21 PM
So heres the background
yes I'm a Trekkie and just recently started playing (reason being that there is no Version playable on MAC). Now finally got a PC and the first and only game installed was STO..
My one week experience..(full time job + RL)
STO was meant as a little fun every now and then to kill some spare time..
between server time outs, servers not responding both earlier this week and then todays maintenance which now ended in a queue 3702 out of 10432 with the only number going up being the latter I am starting to have my doubts. Was originally planning on getting a LTS. Servers down = Action in Forums and I read from a lot of frustrated players which got me thinking.. its frustrating as a non LTS player who started his first week by spending $75 on Uniforms etc to have the basics I like to have as Trekkie in a Star Trek mmorpg.
If half of what little time I do or rather would have to play is spent looking at a real nice diversity of messages telling me i cant play when i want to.. I'm really thinking twice about getting a LTS (especially because the package really doesnt seem THAT great).
So allow me to ask the community and especially those that did spend the money on LTS.. is it still worth the investment?

Looking forward to reading your responses
Zulnob
Career Officer
# 2
01-31-2013, 03:23 PM
yes its worth it, I did it just for all the extra slots, bank, inventory etc
Career Officer
# 3
01-31-2013, 03:30 PM
No, not this far into the game's lifetime. It was worth it when the game was new, it's been worth it for all but the most recent sale periods, but it's never been worth it at full price, and it isn't worth it now. The game is old enough that it'll take too long for your investment to "mature".
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
01-31-2013, 03:31 PM
My honest opinion? For me, yes, although I wish it did give back a little more. Why yes?

My stipend is very handy. I like having lots of toons. I enjoy a large bank. Today, when the servers were full, I enjoyed jumping the queue straight to 46 out of 1600 people. The lifetime subscription bonuses like respecs are VERY valuable.

Still, it's a personal decision. Only you can make it. I'd suggest you consider a) how much you intend to play. b) whether you want the lifetime stuff (Borg captain is cool). c) how much you intend to spend in zen and see how long it would take the stipend to pay you back.

Like I said, these are my reasons and I won't advise you one way or the other.
Career Officer
# 5
01-31-2013, 03:32 PM
It will take about 40 months to make your money back on the zen stipend... do you think you'll play that long? I know I will till it's shut down... it's up to you.
1hr of work @NYS Min Wage 7.25 = 725 Zen
725 x 102 (or current exchange rate) DL = 73950 DL <- can you earn that per hour in game?

Career Officer
# 6
01-31-2013, 04:31 PM
It would be worth it if you get your money back...meaning staying in STO for 2 years or so. You don't get priority queue btw so dont get your hopes high that wouldn't change. Server limit sucked since 3 years and still the same...by far this is no EVE...would be nice to get PRIORITY queue if DEVs ever thing things well
Ensign
# 7
01-31-2013, 11:39 PM
So the queues, login problems etc are a feature that i will get to enjoy for the entire duration and not just a current issue that happened to occur during my first week?
If you guys were to speculate.. would i get my 2-3 Years or is there an end in sight?
Career Officer
# 8
02-01-2013, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulnob View Post
So the queues, login problems etc are a feature that i will get to enjoy for the entire duration and not just a current issue that happened to occur during my first week?
If you guys were to speculate.. would i get my 2-3 Years or is there an end in sight?
the login/queue issues were just a result of the super high traffic for the event starting yesterday and not the norm for the game.

If your ONLY reason for looking into a LTS is to jump to the front of the queue then its likely not worth it for you as in the year I've been playing there is RARELY ever a queue. I became a LTS member for all of the "free" unlocks you get. If you add up what those perks would cost on there own then its a good deal
Career Officer
# 9
02-01-2013, 07:29 AM
Yes, it's worth it. But, get it on sale. A couple times a year, Cryptic tends to sell it for $200. Get it then. At $200, is when it takes 40 months to pay back with the stipend (rather than 60). More than that though, it gives you easily more than $200 worth of free stuff thanks to the instant vet rewards and LTS benefits:

Expanded bank and inventory space
Extra ship, character and costume slots (both from basic Gold status and more from vet rewards)
Multiple uniform options (Veteran, Jupiter Veteran, LTS comm badge)
Access to the Captain's Yacht shuttle
A Mugato pet
Several respec tokens per character
Playable Liberated Borg
A FREE single unlock of a Defiant, Galaxy, Intrepid or B'Rel when a character his Lv. 50 (retroactive as well)
The Chimera and Pegh'qu Heavy Destroyers (awesome)
1,000 extra dil refinement every 2 days
5% skill point boost to you and your team.

Fireworks, titles, Android bridge officers, oh my.

So there's easily $200 worth of stuff there. The only thing you have to decide is if there's $200 worth of it that you personally want, factoring in the stipend.

Oh, and jumping into the login queue ahead of a couple thousand other people when a new season or event launches is handy too.

Last edited by shockwave85; 02-01-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Captain
# 10
02-01-2013, 08:23 AM
People should realise you get extra inventory (character, bank), account bank, Boff, ship slots, a character slot by subscribing for a month. When you end it after a month, you keep it all. You also get 500 Zen for that month.

I was interested for the LTS when it was on sale (it will be on sale again, I am sure), but I am no longer. I like the game and I will spend money on it, but that depends on what will come out and what I like.