Captain
# 1 MACO vs Aegis sets
05-21-2013, 09:15 PM
As the title above reads, which do you prefer to have on your ships: the MACO, or Aegis set, and why?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-21-2013, 09:20 PM
dude i am liking the maco atm. that may change. i use aegis sometimes if i need the extra def but heavy graviton beam is awesome. what u use?
Lane/Jeffjr/Varek @jeffjr
USS Stadi/USS Grendel
Dreadnought Class / Avenger Class Refit
"With your shield or on it"/"Mors venit ad omnes."
Captain
# 3
05-21-2013, 10:16 PM
A good set of MACO space gear is better than Aegis.

However, it takes quite a bit of work and resources to get to an Omega Rep Tier to acquire at least the Mk XI versions, not to mention all it takes to finally acquire all 2-3 pieces.

Aegis, however is easily accessible. Of the many space sets at endgame, it is the one that is easily accessible and offers good, pure defense stats. It takes some resources to purchase, yes. But you are not being gated and burdened with alot of resources to even entertain the thought of looking at them.

Aegis shields have kind of lost their luster lately, especially with the advent of Elite Fleet Shields that have stolen the one thing unique to Aegis: Adaptive resists. IMO, Aegis set needs a look at by Cryptic for viability as an endgame space set. Something to make it really live up to the "Aegis" name it takes but still makes it unique as a defensive space set.
Career Officer
# 4
05-21-2013, 10:57 PM
As a speedtanking solo (pug) PvPer I love the AEGIS set. BUT that's really all it's really good for.

Pretty much any rep set is superior.

I don't even think MACO is the best out there. Adapted MACO is better, IMO, especially if you use torpedoes. And the Reman/Romulan prototype set - my God.

I just recently put the Mk. 12 very rare Reman set on the Tiburon and when that covariant capacitance cell kicks in, man. That is one seriously tanky shield set.

Oh and it looks really really pretty.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Republic Veteran
# 5
05-22-2013, 02:27 AM
Aegis would be a great starter set if it wasn't so expensive to get.
# 6
05-22-2013, 03:34 AM
1. My Caitians are both using Aegis because I don't have to grind reputation to give them the set. So, spend a day or two of gathering crafting materials, or spend several MONTHS of tedious reputation? No contest there. I cannot be bothered with reputation, so crafting is the way to go.

2. My fleet already had ALL the required crafting materials. The only thing I had to do was spend about a million EC for the Uncommon Unreplicateable Materials. That million EC was gained by only an hour in the T'Kanis Nebula. Keep in mind that reputation requires a million EC just to get from T4 to T5.

3. In addition, the faster I move, the more the Aegis Set protects me.

4. Furthermore, the shield adapts to the incoming damage type, and even stacks. The best part is that this adaptation is not a % chance; the adaptation is GUARANTEED.

TL;DR. Don't bother with reputation. Just craft the Aegis Set.

I successfully completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE.
My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III

Click here to view my DeviantArt.
Republic Veteran
# 7
05-22-2013, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaleff View Post
[My Caitians are both using Aegis because I don't have to grind reputation to give them the set. So, spend a day or two of gathering crafting materials, or spend several MONTHS of tedious reputation? No contest there. I cannot be bothered with reputation, so crafting is the way to go.
Well you know what they say. Garbage in, garbage out.
# 8
05-22-2013, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
As the title above reads, which do you prefer to have on your ships: the MACO, or Aegis set, and why?
I do not use either in their entirety... The MACO 2 part bonus is weak and its 3 part bonus is utterly worthless.

The Aegis 2 and 3 part bonuses are pretty solid but its shield is utter garbage. (Ironically)

So what I tend to do is go with Deflector and Engine from the Assimilated set (For hull heal proc and fast warp and energy bonuses) and the MACO shield (Because it is one TOUGH shield that gives you extra power FTW).
Captain
# 9
05-22-2013, 04:16 AM
On the normal maco set, does the graviton beam kick in automatically or is there a button in the ability list?
Empire Veteran
# 10
05-22-2013, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasukurobi View Post
I do not use either in their entirety... The MACO 2 part bonus is weak and its 3 part bonus is utterly worthless.

The Aegis 2 and 3 part bonuses are pretty solid but its shield is utter garbage. (Ironically)

So what I tend to do is go with Deflector and Engine from the Assimilated set (For hull heal proc and fast warp and energy bonuses) and the MACO shield (Because it is one TOUGH shield that gives you extra power FTW).
I do the same with my Tactical. It has worked out extremely well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"