Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,241
It would be worth it to test out:


Removing all captain skill performance boosting bonuses (ship speed/weapon damage/defense systems).

This would essentially make equipment truly make a difference and would make the ship designs be more like pre-f2p performance/roles.

How so?

By taking away the massive bonuses gained through capt. skills the game changes dramatically. Ships no longer fight in spam-a-lot and ludicrous-speed arcade battles where the only thing that matters is pure, raw DPS.

Without the boosts, ships have to fight by using their abilities and flying for tactical advantage. An escort for example loses the almighty super spike damage that now allows it to kill almost any ship in one pass no matter the shield facing....and returns to being the escort that it was in pre-f2p: The only ship type that had the speed and turn rate to constantly hit ONE shield facing and kill the other ship with it. Its damage did not use to be higher than a cruiser's but it was highly focused damage. That is why the escort has the best speed and turn rate.

Since heal boosts are also gone, the ships no longer have access to instantly-fully healed abilities or insane heal over time abilities. This makes combat require shields not be exposed to fire for too long since it took a bit of time to heal them up.

There are myriads of other things that the removal of these capt skill boosts will impact gameplay and return it to a trek-feel and more tactical than arcade combat, but this is the basic concept of it.

Could this be given a try in tribble or redshirt server devs?
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 255
# 2
02-01-2013, 08:46 AM
The thing is about your tac escort rant, you fail to factor in the fact that their "alpha strike" DPS output is not constant. It certainly is not as powerful as you claim because of TT and RSP, and frankly the only reason escorts will hit as hard as they do in PvE is because it's end game at VA50.


If there were changes like you propose then I would be unable to carry a bad STF elite PUG group with my escort. We would be required to go through private channels for PvE progression. I agree, when there are 5 top tiered players in the same group it makes the borg look like ants compared to us. But then you create greater challenges for us, not redesign the game. And that's the problem for STO, a lack of end game content.


To be frank, your "trek combat" is boring as crap.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 898
# 3
02-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by romuzarii View Post
The thing is about your tac escort rant, you fail to factor in the fact that their "alpha strike" DPS output is not constant. It certainly is not as powerful as you claim because of TT and RSP, and frankly the only reason escorts will hit as hard as they do in PvE is because it's end game at VA50.


If there were changes like you propose then I would be unable to carry a bad STF elite PUG group with my escort. We would be required to go through private channels for PvE progression. I agree, when there are 5 top tiered players in the same group it makes the borg look like ants compared to us. But then you create greater challenges for us, not redesign the game. And that's the problem for STO, a lack of end game content.


To be frank, your "trek combat" is boring as crap.
I agree. I notice that people who post topics like this are usually the ones who suck and cant play to save their own life, so they whine about it and hope to bring everyone down just so they can feel better. Never going to happen OP, get better or go home. Maybe try a "My Little Pony" game, might be easier for ya
Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 30
# 4
02-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
I agree. I notice that people who post topics like this are usually the ones who suck and cant play to save their own life, so they whine about it and hope to bring everyone down just so they can feel better. Never going to happen OP, get better or go home. Maybe try a "My Little Pony" game, might be easier for ya

I notice that people who post topics like this are usually the ones with tac/escort, who play op chars and don't want them to be nerfed, cause then they would die more often.
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 291
# 5
02-01-2013, 09:40 AM
And if your suggestion/plan came to pass, what would we spend skill points on? Or would all captains be the same? Not trying to be belligerent at all, just pointing out what is the flaw, in my opinion.

Cannot endorse this idea.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,100
# 6
02-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
I agree. I notice that people who post topics like this are usually the ones who suck and cant play to save their own life, so they whine about it and hope to bring everyone down just so they can feel better. Never going to happen OP, get better or go home. Maybe try a "My Little Pony" game, might be easier for ya
People who make posts like this tend to be caffeine riddled explosion fest junkies.

In all seriousness, the OP is correct in a few ways. Battles in Star Trek have always been slow tactically based battles about wearing down the enemy and exploiting his weaknesses. But, there have been many cases of catching someone off guard, and instantly pulverizing them.

The problem with STO is that there's no balance between the two. The latter is the most effective strategy most of the time. That's not how it should be.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 898
# 7
02-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaeply View Post
I notice that people who post topics like this are usually the ones with tac/escort, who play op chars and don't want them to be nerfed, cause then they would die more often.
Engineer actually, so tac gets nerfed has no effect on me. But if they did they would have no chance of taking out a dedicated Eng tank
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,032
# 8
02-01-2013, 09:59 AM
More trek-ness?
How about a sector space revamp:
It should actually take a week of game play to get from Sol to Risa.
Crew loss should have a much more profound effect on systems and abilitys.
Crew does not come back to life. You will have to go to a starbase to recrew or ask someone elses ship to tranfer crew over.
Respawn means starting back at space dock.
1-2 weeks in space dock to repair ship damage.
Hull repair rate reduced to 0.0#% per minute.
Starfleet imposed "speed limit", Warp 5.
Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Registered: Oct/2009 , LTS : Feb/2011
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 641
# 9
02-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
I agree. I notice that people who post topics like this are usually the ones who suck and cant play to save their own life, so they whine about it and hope to bring everyone down just so they can feel better. Never going to happen OP, get better or go home. Maybe try a "My Little Pony" game, might be easier for ya
I couldn't have said it better myself
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,556
# 10
02-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Instead of going on about Escorts/Cruisers, I'd point out that Stahl recently mentioned that warp cores are being added.

And if I had to bet money, warp cores will settle this debate by tying base stats and survivability into a modular unit so that regardless of class, your survivability and damage will be inversely proportional to one another and may come with some serious changes to threat gen and power level management.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:38 AM.