Captain
# 1 Loving the Ambassador
02-01-2013, 01:29 PM
I am Loving the Ambassador Class Ship. I think it is the most balanced ship in the game that is good for Tac, Eng, and Sci captains alike. The BOFF layout is great with the the LT, and Commander Eng Boff slots, LT Commander slot, and LT / Ensign Tac slot, eventhough I would prefer a Lt Commander Tac and dump the Ensign just to get the better offensive powers and manuvers. The three Tac consoles has been what all cruisers needed from day one. It adds a little bite to the beams.

Thanks, Devs.:-)

Now, there needs to be something done about the Galaxy. Its a shame it's predecessors, Excelsior and Ambassador, has better boff slots and a 3 weapon consoles. The Fleet Galaxy don't need another Eng console. It needs another weapon console to give it bite to keep up with the rest of the canon cruisers.
Captain
# 2
02-01-2013, 01:33 PM
The Galaxy needs 4 weapons consoles
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
Career Officer
# 3
02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexindcobra View Post
I am Loving the Ambassador Class Ship. I think it is the most balanced ship in the game that is good for Tac, Eng, and Sci captains alike. The BOFF layout is great with the the LT, and Commander Eng Boff slots, LT Commander slot, and LT / Ensign Tac slot, eventhough I would prefer a Lt Commander Tac and dump the Ensign just to get the better offensive powers and manuvers. The three Tac consoles has been what all cruisers needed from day one.
Well what you described is basically an Excelsior (and the Fleet Excel has 4 x Tac slots) - I agree though - for a free ship the Ambassador is very nice and offers an interesting opportunity to tinker with some higher lever Sci skills irrespective of your Captain's career.

I actually prefer the Ambassador to the Chel Grett despite that ship having (on paper) superior specs.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Captain
# 4
02-01-2013, 01:41 PM
I was surprised at how good the Ambassador is doing for me, I underestimated it. It does pretty decent DPS with an aux2bat build and tac captain, and having 3 sci abilities is nice, so you can still have 2 sci heals and another ability like tractor.
Definitely will be getting a z-store or fleet version of this ship that gets 10 console slots and increased hull/shields.

The KDF ship is nice too, happy with both.
Lieutenant
# 5
02-01-2013, 01:43 PM
As I said in another thread i'm happy with my Ambassador retrofit. I was able to take and hold the aggro from a Tactical Cube in an elite STF with it while the rest of my PuG killed the cube. I was never able to tank a tactical cube in my Assault Class ship. Usually the cube would hit me with those cheat weapons and knock my shields out with one hit, and one hit kill me before the cool downs would let me activate my next tank power, or i'd have to drift in and out of weapons range to stay alive while my cool downs are activated.
Ensign
# 6
02-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Yes there is something very special about this ship. I cant seem to put it down. She's not too big..not too small and having Ltc Sci boff slots on a cruiser strangely works. Same with the KDF ship two weird ships that are fun to fly...for free
Captain
# 7
02-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Fun little ship. Kinda wish the ensign were universal or science to be like a counterpart to the Regent, and of course another sci console wouldn't hurt (maybe fleet version) but overall I'm surprised by the performance. Kewl.

As for the OP mentioning the Galaxy, heck just put the ensign universal and make the console layoute 4/3/3 and that would drop it right back into the thick of things.
Career Officer
# 8
02-01-2013, 02:07 PM
I like both ships, especially for free. Now I want Fleet level versions. Complete with cool consoles and alternate skins. And I want them yesterday !
Only Internet users deal in absolutes !
Lieutenant
# 9
02-01-2013, 03:10 PM
All I can saw about the Ambassador is... WOW

Last night I particpated one of the hourly Borg Invasion events within the Sirius Sector with my level 23 Engineer flying his Ambassador.

Also "responding" to the "red alert" alarm were 4 other players... ALL of them, ALSO flying an Ambassador, each of various and random level ranges.

5 Ambassadors'.

I will also admit that there was 1 Vanguard Star Cruiser in attendance but he was sluggish compared to the Ambassadors'.

We tore through the sphere's and cubes in no time and triggered the Unimatrix...

Then we showed the Unimatrix why it should not screw around with the Ambassador Class!

5 Ambassadors'... all running broadside attacks and the occassional head-on assaults...

Unimatrix went boom within the first 3 minutes of it spawning.

I do not know what equipment the other players were using in their ships, but I know all of mine is nothing special... mostly random Mk IV, V, VI items of various quality from common to uncommon, and 4 blue rare MK VI phaser beam arrays with 2 MK V common quantum torp launchers.... as I said, nothing special...

Yet my Ambassador seemed to just absorb the damage and kept on going! I saw another guy whose shields were nearly gone, so I hit extend shields on him and his quickly regenerated as he came around for another broadside pass and then took out the 3 'probes' that were chasing him.

I will admit a few players, including me, were destroyed at least once by the Unimatrix.. but I noted how in each case, the Ambassador recovered quick, and returned to the foray to continue in the borg butt kicking...

Now sure, I know destroying the Unimatrix in under 3 minutes is no big deal these days. But usually I don't see a fight like that unless I'm playing my level 50 Tac Cap flying his Steamrunner Retrofit or his Armitage and I'm in an area where lower level players are not as common and those responding to the borg invasion are usually more high level players.

So I was rather very impressed to see 5 Ambassador Class cruisers, all various level ranges, taking out a Unimatrix in under 3 minutes, and in the newbie sector of all places!

I'm sure maybe a couple of those players wee high level players using their Retrofit Ambassadors'; plus that Vanguard with us... so yes I will say there was probably some heavy firepower in our favor. But the fact remains, that those 5 Ambassador ships just took a beating yet kept on going and tanked the heck out of that Unimatrix!

Now I am thinking about making a Klingon Engineer just to try out that Kamarag! Got one on my lvl 50 Tac Klink, but I think an Engineer would benefit the most from it!

Last edited by nyarlathotep75; 02-01-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Commander
# 10
02-01-2013, 03:34 PM
You guys do realize that the ship is a copy/reskin of the Sovereign with 100 less crew and the Sci and Eng LT/LTC slots swapped...right?

[Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.