Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,448
# 21
02-01-2013, 07:13 PM
I saw two things in Stahl's recent comments:

- He says that in May the character creator will be completely remade.

- He's now saying that factions will be "resolved."

My pet theory is that faction will become a matter of choice (which basically sets costume options and ship choices), species will be redefined somehow, and all existing missions will get their factionality stripped out, with few exceptions.

In turn, the Fed/Klingon War ends and the Romulans, Klingons, and Federation form an alliance.

PvP will be infighting that occurs along non-political faction lines. (Ie. The Star Trek: Insurrection model. Visit a planet. Pick a side. Doesn't matter if you're Fed or KDF; that just determines what ships you fly and costumes you wear. It'll be, for example, Feds, Roms, and KDF fighting to relocate settlers against Feds, Roms, and KDF who oppose relocating the settlers.)

Now, a mission like Second Star to the Right may remain factional but will probably be prefaced with some addition where you get surgically disguised so as not to look Klingon and are told outright that your actions there go against the Chancellor's orders and are being done on behalf of a shady house or the Orion Syndicate. Basically, if you get caught, the Chancellor himself with discommend and likely execute you.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,281
# 22
02-01-2013, 07:17 PM
I think the Romulan faction will, in fact, be a guild you can "defect" to. While in that guild, you can use Romulan ships, etc. But you are still bound to the faction (Fed/KDF).
___________________________
@Commadore_Bob; Joined Jul 2009; That post count + 20,000
Click on my sig to view Family-Friendly Youtube Videos
I also now have a logo shop. Click my sig!
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,448
# 23
02-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
I think the Romulan faction will, in fact, be a guild you can "defect" to. While in that guild, you can use Romulan ships, etc. But you are still bound to the faction (Fed/KDF).
That doesn't really account for what happens to the KDF.

I really think it's relevant that they're saying they plan to "resolve" the idea of factions.

The words resolve and resolution keep coming up. There's the talk about the character creator getting an overhaul and PvP getting redefined.

I sincerely think what we'll see is faction being something you have (effectively a super-pivotal species trait that determines what ships you can fly and what costumes you wear) and not something you ARE, fundamentally.

Which probably means that they'll go through all of the missions and, for the most part, rip out the superior officers and make mission givers into non-aligned parties. While the dialogue options may have branches based on what your current faction is. (And, yeah, I suspect defection will be an option then.)

Think of it this way...

The current system is:

Faction -> Profession -> Species -> Traits

(From most defining to least defining.)

The new system will be:

Profession -> Traits -> Species -> Faction

(From most defining to least defining.)

From there, faction will be a flavor element and a limiting element on cosmetics and dialogue options. Major new gameplay will flow from adding new professions.

Species will be more cosmetic than it is presently. Traits will be unrestricted but have set bonuses for logical combos. Faction will basically just be a bottom level set of permissions that filter and further define your options below the species level.

I'll add that I suspect species may be cut out altogether, except possibly as costume parts that unlock from having the right combination of traits selected.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 130
# 24
02-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnake721 View Post
March beneath the Raptors wings is a title to a Pocket books novel about the start of the Romulan war.
Just for clarification, the subtitle of that book was "Beneath the Raptor's Wings", not "March beneath...". Marching for something implies allegiance(and working for them). And the same day that video game out Brandon posted on his twitter "Will you march?":

https://twitter.com/PWE_BranFlakes/s...49257648648194

Whatever they are making, they are heavily implying that WE(the player) will be playing for/as the Romulans.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 765
# 25
02-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I saw two things in Stahl's recent comments:

- He says that in May the character creator will be completely remade.

- He's now saying that factions will be "resolved."

My pet theory is that faction will become a matter of choice (which basically sets costume options and ship choices), species will be redefined somehow, and all existing missions will get their factionality stripped out, with few exceptions.

In turn, the Fed/Klingon War ends and the Romulans, Klingons, and Federation form an alliance.

PvP will be infighting that occurs along non-political faction lines. (Ie. The Star Trek: Insurrection model. Visit a planet. Pick a side. Doesn't matter if you're Fed or KDF; that just determines what ships you fly and costumes you wear. It'll be, for example, Feds, Roms, and KDF fighting to relocate settlers against Feds, Roms, and KDF who oppose relocating the settlers.)

Now, a mission like Second Star to the Right may remain factional but will probably be prefaced with some addition where you get surgically disguised so as not to look Klingon and are told outright that your actions there go against the Chancellor's orders and are being done on behalf of a shady house or the Orion Syndicate. Basically, if you get caught, the Chancellor himself with discommend and likely execute you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
That doesn't really account for what happens to the KDF.

I really think it's relevant that they're saying they plan to "resolve" the idea of factions.

The words resolve and resolution keep coming up. There's the talk about the character creator getting an overhaul and PvP getting redefined.

I sincerely think what we'll see is faction being something you have (effectively a super-pivotal species trait that determines what ships you can fly and what costumes you wear) and not something you ARE, fundamentally.

Which probably means that they'll go through all of the missions and, for the most part, rip out the superior officers and make mission givers into non-aligned parties. While the dialogue options may have branches based on what your current faction is. (And, yeah, I suspect defection will be an option then.)

Think of it this way...

The current system is:

Faction -> Profession -> Species -> Traits

(From most defining to least defining.)

The new system will be:

Profession -> Traits -> Species -> Faction

(From most defining to least defining.)

From there, faction will be a flavor element and a limiting element on cosmetics and dialogue options. Major new gameplay will flow from adding new professions.

Species will be more cosmetic than it is presently. Traits will be unrestricted but have set bonuses for logical combos. Faction will basically just be a bottom level set of permissions that filter and further define your options below the species level.

I'll add that I suspect species may be cut out altogether, except possibly as costume parts that unlock from having the right combination of traits selected.
You may very well be on to something here. It does sound like factions as we know it is going to change.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,448
# 26
02-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Just one more elaboration:

Say you want to make a Vulcan.

You pick traits that are part of the Vulcan set bonus.

Let's say you pick Creative, Covert, Resilient, and Stubborn.

This gives you the option from a dropdown to be a Vulcan, which gives you Mindmeld and Efficient as a free bonus. You also have the Human option, which gives you Leadership and Teamwork as a free bonus. Or you can be Ferengi with Lobes and Natural Immunities as a free bonus.

However, you'd have to drop Covert and select something else to unlock Trill as an option. If you try to select Trill, it will require you to drop "Covert" before you proceed.

You can select Unknown with any combination of traits but doing so will either forego set bonuses or offer a more mild, generic set bonus of two bonus traits (1 space/convenience and 1 ground).

Trait respec will therefore wipe your costume slots and require you to select compatible species/traits before proceeding.

I'd imagine you can keep any costumes you currently have in May but that a trait respec will wipe them.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,988
# 27
02-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Just one more elaboration:

Say you want to make a Vulcan.

You pick traits that are part of the Vulcan set bonus.

Let's say you pick Creative, Covert, Resilient, and Stubborn.

This gives you the option from a dropdown to be a Vulcan, which gives you Mindmeld and Efficient as a free bonus. You also have the Human option, which gives you Leadership and Teamwork as a free bonus. Or you can be Ferengi with Lobes and Natural Immunities as a free bonus.

However, you'd have to drop Covert and select something else to unlock Trill as an option. If you try to select Trill, it will require you to drop "Covert" before you proceed.

You can select Unknown with any combination of traits but doing so will either forego set bonuses or offer a more mild, generic set bonus of two bonus traits (1 space/convenience and 1 ground).

Trait respec will therefore wipe your costume slots and require you to select compatible species/traits before proceeding.

I'd imagine you can keep any costumes you currently have in May but that a trait respec will wipe them.
Huh-oh...
I sense another Gorn-Tro-Lo-Lo-like change coming our way.
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 350
# 28
02-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Just one more elaboration:

Say you want to make a Vulcan.

You pick traits that are part of the Vulcan set bonus.

Let's say you pick Creative, Covert, Resilient, and Stubborn.

This gives you the option from a dropdown to be a Vulcan, which gives you Mindmeld and Efficient as a free bonus. You also have the Human option, which gives you Leadership and Teamwork as a free bonus. Or you can be Ferengi with Lobes and Natural Immunities as a free bonus.

However, you'd have to drop Covert and select something else to unlock Trill as an option. If you try to select Trill, it will require you to drop "Covert" before you proceed.

You can select Unknown with any combination of traits but doing so will either forego set bonuses or offer a more mild, generic set bonus of two bonus traits (1 space/convenience and 1 ground).

Trait respec will therefore wipe your costume slots and require you to select compatible species/traits before proceeding.

I'd imagine you can keep any costumes you currently have in May but that a trait respec will wipe them.
I doubt it'll happen that way, I can already hear people complaining that their Trill should be able to be covert if they want because it's their character. Now, choosing something like super strength should be species locked, but not something that's based on trained skills.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 271
# 29
02-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
Just because They begin to add the Romulans as a Third Faction, there is no reason to believe that They will just STOP adding stuff to the Klingon side.
Well they'd need to start adding content before they can stop...
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,016
# 30
02-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Let's say for arguements sake the it is a Romulan faction. Which faction is it? Look at the emblem. There is a single sphere. Is that sphere a representation of the Empire's Rator, or is it a representation of New Romulus?
If you believe the sky is the limit, you are aiming too low. We must reach beyond the stars - Ambassador Otungku
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:49 PM.